FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Land Bank-vacant property & demolition-Flint
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It appears the Land Bank does have a vacant property plan!

www.Rent.com Urban property abandonment: From Blight to OpportunityThe Genesee County Urban Land Redevelopment Initiative. National Vacant Properties Campaign. Land Bank Authority Forum. Dan Kildee. Genesee County Treasurer ...
http://www.vacantproperties.org/resources/flint/DanKildee.ppt - - Cached - Similar pages
Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:06 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

As an outsider looking in, it appears to me that this plan should be approved and adopted by each local goverment. If I was on city council or a mayor i would want to be apart of discussions about my local jurisdiction.

does the land bank not see it that way?

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The maps were interesting, but I really had to enlarge them to see they were from 2004. Even then sections of the northwest were on track to be demolished.

The City of Flint used to have a representative that they selected to be on the Land Bank Board of Directors. After the law changed so did their bylaws. The Land Bank now chooses who they want from the city on the board. It was Sims and then Ananich. These individuals rarely reported back to the rest of council what was happening. When council was angry, a Land Bank representative came to council.

The structure of the board is 4 County Commissioners and their selections from Flint and Flint Township. It is really a quasi-governmental organization.

I am glad the documents from the Genesee Institute are on line and more recent. Michael Freeman may be of assistance as LISC has a national vacant property plan.

Quite frankly, I am sick of these forums where the public gives input and nothing happens. On the media I saw some of he same people at each meeting. Most of the comments I heard in the community were negative.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:30 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
As an outsider looking in, it appears to me that this plan should be approved and adopted by each local goverment. If I was on city council or a mayor i would want to be apart of discussions about my local jurisdiction.

I remember attending a board meeting a while back where a piece of landbank property was offered to the outbound jurisdiction where I live. The jurisdiction turned it down, I think that it reverts back to the landbank after the jurisdiction makes the decision not to purchase it...

Seems like a neverending flow chart if the land bank doesn't sell it off, especially if they have high standards as to whom they deem worthy to sell it to. That has been my impression in the past. I would love to purchase a land bank property, if I could find the right one in an outbound area....sigh.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:14 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Webbie....

I utilize the software in a different jurisdiction provided by LIAA. A lot of the time the maps themselves are not updated, but the databases are. If you want to search the properties, it's best just to use the general "search the database" technique.

The information from the maps I do believe can be exported into a .cvs file which is then converted to an excel spreadsheet. Mackinaw County used to utilize this feature with the maps and never updated them, which is a shame, because I would have liked to have known the value of my property up there without making a phone call to the treasurer or assessor.

The ROI on this software that the landbank is using with the map feature and the outdated excel file is nil. Wink
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:25 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well, I know from experience the Land Bank sells to the people they like and others get screwed over.

quote:
andi03 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I remember attending a board meeting a while back where a piece of landbank property was offered to the outbound jurisdiction where I live. The jurisdiction turned it down, I think that it reverts back to the landbank after the jurisdiction makes the decision not to purchase it...

Seems like a neverending flow chart if the land bank doesn't sell it off, especially if they have high standards as to whom they deem worthy to sell it to. That has been my impression in the past. I would love to purchase a land bank property, if I could find the right one in an outbound area....sigh.

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The North End block clubs echo your sentiment.

Andi-have you looked at HUD homes. There are some bargains out there. George Poulos is a HUD approved realtor, but there are many others.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:29 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Then why does it continue?

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:51 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Because people let it. They feel powerless against the establishment.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well people rose up against Woodrow Stanley and recalled him, at the time that was a David vs Goliath task.

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Because people let it. They feel powerless against the establishment.

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:52 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Remeber that Dayne Walling worked hand and hand with the Land Bank. He has a good relationship with Dan Kildee and Company. Dayne will not burn that bridge and it doesn't matter how bad the land bank maintains the property they own.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:31 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mole is right. Kildee gave Dayne a job consulting at the Genesee Institute which enabled him to run for Mayor his first time. According to the documents about the Genesee Institute their funding is county and Mott Foundation.

Dan Kildee says he is shocked at the political mistakes Walling is making.

Don't forget Walling is a Blue Tiger Dem. and heavily supported by the Michigan Dems. Granholm's assistant, Amanda Stitt, along with Ananich and the Flint guy in Homeland Security threw a fundraiser for Walling in Wasgington DC. Cherry's kids are leaders in the young Dems and theyput out every vicious rumor they could on Williamson in the Young Dems website. This attack gave the appearance of being orchestrated by Brewer.
Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:48 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The North End block clubs echo your sentiment.

Andi-have you looked at HUD homes. There are some bargains out there. George Poulos is a HUD approved realtor, but there are many others.

I don't know if "the funds" are going to be available in time for me to relocate, that's the scariest thing at this point. Otherwise, I will have to reside in another county, for awhile...sigh. Timing is the whole thing at this point.

I have to work 7 days straight and really don't think that I will make a dent in my funds at two min. wage jobs and the two other ones are very sporadic at this point. And don't really know HOW to qualify for a freakin' mortgage in my situation. Too much stuff, I don't know at this point....oy.

I guess that I have to research what it takes to acquire some of these homes. I know that some of the people in my jurisdiction are taking the houses are houses that I could afford and fixing them up and selling them for quite a bit more moola. That's nice that someone can do that and all, but some of the houses I could have purchased outright without a mortgage, once the property issues were straightened around.....dunno.

Looking at some of the rent for some of the apartments in my kids' elementary school district is a complete and utter waste of my sheckels. For the price of a three bedroom apt, I could afford to pay a mortgage AND insurance AND taxes for the same amount.....sheesh!!!!
Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:01 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

hang in there tough lady, i'm prayin for you!!! Confused Confused Confused

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:07 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
hang in there tough lady, i'm prayin for you!!! Confused Confused Confused

Thanks BA. Smile I think since the new year I have had a sense of peace in handling these things, things will work out but I have a ton o questions. Smile Smile
Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:51 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: