FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Large group fighting at Flint Northern today

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Heard the scanner calls
Journal's web site says 50 involved.
Channel 5 news at 5 said up to 100 involved. Also reported a school board spokesperson as saying the fight was caused by overcrowding. HUH?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Massive High School Brawl Hospitalizes Teacher
Police Did Not Say If Any Students Were Harmed, Arrested

POSTED: 4:48 pm EST January 6, 2010
UPDATED: 5:07 pm EST January 6, 2010

facebookdel.icio.usbuzzdiggreddit›› Email›› PrintFLINT, Mich. -- Police in Flint said a teacher has been hospitalized after a massive brawl broke out at Northern High School.

Authorities said a fight started on the third floor of the school after a few students got into a fight at lunch.

More than 100 teens were involved and the school board said it was caused by overcrowding.

There was no word on how extensive injuries to students may have been.

Stay with WNEM.com and TV5 as more information becomes available. Copyright 2010 by WNEM.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:00 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
More than 100 teens were involved and the school board said it was caused by overcrowding.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing overcrowding???

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:48 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

typical sensationalization of a simple matter. 2 dudes get into a fight in a crowded room, then perhaps 3 or 4 may also have been engaged but because it was in an area large enough to have 50-100 kids, it hits the news as some wild ass will nilly riot!!!!! local news has always been this way.

"Massive high school brawl hospitalizes teacher"

oh, but nothing on this site about the assault at lapeer east?

give me a fuckin break.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Three Flint Northern High School students involved in Wednesday fight arrrested at school this morning
By Melissa Burden | Flint Journal
January 07, 2010, 10:02AM

Ryan Garza/The Flint JournalA Flint Police vehicle leaves the North side of Flint Northern Academy on Thursday. City of Flint Police arrested three students Thursday morning involved in the large fights that occured Wednesday at the school sending a student and a teacher to the hospital.

FLINT, Michigan — Three Flint Northern High School students were arrested this morning at the school after the Flint School District identified them as being part of a fight Wednesday that sent one student and teacher to the hospital.

District spokesman Bob Campbell said six students were identified by the district as part of its investigation. When three of the six showed up at school today, they were arrested by Flint police, Campbell said.

Flint police are attempting to contact the other three students who didn’t show up at school, Campbell said.

“The investigation is continuing, but the district has not at this point identified other students who may be contacted by the police,” Campbell said.

Campbell did not have any details on the students who were arrested including their grades or gender.
RecommendRecommend (0)Print this Email this Share this:Previous story: State extends deadline for districts, teacher unions to sign off on Race to the Top memorandums of understanding
Next story: 'Status quo' or effective leader? Larry Ford's tenure at Flint Downtown Development Authority debated

Comments (8 total) RSSPost a commentOldest comments are shown first. Show newest comments first
Posted by fidelcats
January 07, 2010, 10:41AM
Now that the kind of school system that I want to send my kids to. A place where you can read, write and learn how to fight. A place where kids can "bond" together with one another, punch a teacher and say "I come from a dysfunctional family so there should no charges against me. The citizen's of Flint should be very proud of the school system.

Inappropriate comment? Alert us.
Reply to this comment | Post a new comment
Posted by flintlongone
January 07, 2010, 11:09AM
Sad state of affairs.

Posted by sfan66
January 07, 2010, 11:58AM
Hey Mr. Davenport...should these thugs be kicked out of school? Why don't you have a meeting with them and their parents!

Posted by sfan66
January 07, 2010, 12:01PM
Hey Mr. Davenport...should these thugs be kicked out of school? Maybe you should have a meeting with them and their parents!

Posted by 12pointer
January 07, 2010, 12:49PM
Why is it that we always here about the fights at Flint schools when I am pretty sure that every other high school in our area also has their fair share of fights? I must say I am getting tired about all of the negative things getting reported. I am associated with Flint Southwestern and we have only had three fights in our school all year. I bet you can't name very many other area schools that can say that. However, our students continue to score well on tests, compete and place in countywide contests, earn millions of dollars in scholarships and yet, you do not hear about the good things our students are accomplishing!!!

Posted by StillInFlint
January 07, 2010, 2:10PM
What a contrast: International Academy of Flint named as one of the best high schools in Flint and more disturbing news from Flint Community Schools. In defense of Flint Community Schools, you need chicken to make chicken soup and I am willing to bet that there are a good number of students in Flint Community Schools that have no business being in a traditional academic setting--they need to go. However, when the expectations are as low as they are in FCS, you cannot expect greatness.

A previous poster mentioned the number of students named to the Urban League's Black Scholars as a sign of achievement, but what are the standards in FCS? Realistically we all know that what constitutes a 3.0 at Northern is not the same as what constitutes a 3.0 at many other schools in Genesee County, so spare us the number of students in FCS on the Urban League's Black Scholars list. Nonetheless, one can receive an excellent education in FCS, provided the student has a strong support network at home.

Bottom line, FCS is a failing school district and is in trouble. The International Academy of Flint is quite obviously doing a great job and as other people on this forum have noted, perhaps it is time for FCS to take a look at the best practices being used by this charter.

Posted by Jessica
January 07, 2010, 2:15PM
12pointer, I beg to differ. I can probably name a lot of area schools, possibly not all within Flint city limits that have responsible students, who actually go to school and dont have to worry about students selling drugs, getting into fights with students or better yet, adults. I have a friend that just got done student teaching for a Flint school and she said she'll never step foot in one of those schools ever again.
BTW, I'm thinking this was on the news because these idiot kids, whose parents OBVIOUSLY dont know how to raise children, better yet themselves, decided to get into a fight and injure someone TRYING to teach them better than their damn parents.

Posted by rivethead
January 07, 2010, 3:10PM
The more things change the more they stay the same in Flint. Violence in school is nothing new. But for Flint the nature of that violence seems to be peculiar. The school district needs to become alot more aggressive in sending errant students packing to protect its image. The superintendent should be announcing this in the media with a growl in order to save the image of the district and promote a no nonesense image overall

Post a comment (You may use HTML tags for style) Sign in to comment, or comment anonymously.
Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:06 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

and i've always had the same complaint about channel 12. years ago they had a few black reporters who really got into the who's and why's but for quite a while now 12 looks and sounds like a "news team" from traverse city. i am not belittling traverse city but at least have a "news team" reflective of the area and don't even attempt to tell me "we couldn't find a qualified candidate"... nothing personal but this black guy they have now sounds and looks like he came to flint fron north dakota! come on channel 12, havent you ever wondered why we watch any other but you???????

all right, i'm done griping and if i'm wrong i will apologize. Cool

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
sounds like a "news team" from traverse city.

Whats wrong with that one of your heros loves the place.

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:22 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

hey, get 12 to hire him. he'll find the real story behind the flash!

P.Y.
Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Or do what he usually does make one up. Kinda like another of your heroes. Laughing

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: