FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: As the twit flits

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

From Walling's Twitter page:

1. Taking a day of annual leave to go to Pittsburgh and present at a public policy program that is coordinated by a former colleague. about 5 hours ago from TwitterBerry

Guess nothing of any importance is going on in Flint.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mayor Dayne Walling presenting ideas for Flint to group in Pittsburgh
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
January 12, 2010, 12:44PM
FLINT, Michigan — Pittsburgh officials are looking to Flint for ideas on community recovery.

According to an article in the Post-Gazette, Mayor Dayne Walling is expected to be in Pittsburgh tonight to speak to a group about Flint's efforts to create its first master plan in more than 30 years and other projects, such as the Swedish Biogas International plant in Flint Township.

The Post-Gazette article draws parallels between Pittsburgh's roots in the steel industry and Flint's history with auto industry.

"'Citizens in Flint know that as mayor, I can't change international trade laws or the national economy,' Mr. Walling said yesterday. What he can do is end crisis politics that left past mayors 'focused on short-term fixes and managing decline. ... My approach is you need to rebuild a foundation for the future.'

Flint's history mirrors Pittsburgh's, without, so far, the semi-happy ending. Big steel's collapse foreshadowed the auto industry's blowout, but Pittsburgh became the most livable city, while Forbes magazine in 2008 ranked Flint as the third most miserable. The Flint region's unemployment rate is more than double that of the Pittsburgh region.

Just as Pittsburgh had two quick mayoral transitions in 2006, ending with Luke Ravenstahl, 29, as mayor, Flint had three mayors last year, with Mr. Walling winning an August election.

Walling will be speaking to members of the Guyasuta Fellowship, a privately funded group that includes young people who are studying the economics of environmentalism and community recovery, according to the article.

Comments (3 total) RSSPost a commentOldest comments are shown first. Show newest comments first
Posted by bruceae
January 12, 2010, 12:59PM
What a joke. Maybe he should try fixing Flint before he shares all his advice with someone else. Sending someone from Flint to Pittsburgh to help them is like Kwame K. helping Dallas implement all the successes from Detroit.

Inappropriate comment? Alert us.
Reply to this comment | Post a new comment
Posted by wereintroubl
January 12, 2010, 1:05PM
I think that Pittsburgh had Walling there to learn what NOT to do. I hope they do not plan to eat while they are talking about Fecal Fuel.

Inappropriate comment? Alert us.
Reply to this comment | Post a new comment
Posted by Soon to be six two
January 12, 2010, 1:11PM
I am reminded of the scene in "Wall Street" where the CEO of a firm that is losing dozens of millions every quarter is off on a nationwide speaking tour addressing community business groups.
Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:37 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Mayor Dayne Walling presenting ideas for Flint to group in Pittsburgh
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
January 12, 2010, 12:44PM
FLINT, Michigan — Pittsburgh officials are looking to Flint for ideas on community recovery.

Hoo, boy! Looking to Flint for solutions?
Is he taking an unpaid day off?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone noticed that Walling talks a lot, but has offered no solutions to improve Flint. In his campaign he promised the world.
Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mole- You notice how Walling is coming up with the money for Neighborhood Service Centers with staff to assist citizens as well as mini-stations for each ward.

And then he proposes to cut police wages by 15%. And layoff days for staff. Where are his priorities/
Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:23 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: