FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: HUD Swat Team coming to town?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

My South Side friend who talks to HUD a lot,says HUD will be in town next week. He calls them the HUD swat team and says Jeannette harris will be taking the lead. Under Nancy Jurkiewicz Flint was a leader in moving the money. My friend received the last HUD monitoring report and said it praised Nancy.

HUD gets a little touchy when pj's (participating jurisdictions) don;t move money, because the onus falls on them. When no money is in the streets, they catch heck from their bosses. Flint may lose some stimulus money because there is no leadership in the community and economic development office. Tracy Atkinson and Greg Eason have failed to move the projects and are said to be more interested in helping some special interest groups.

Eason is married to Karen Aldridge, daughter of the founders of Foss Avenue Baptist. Foss Avenue is also the church of Nolden and Lawler, Word is this group has been promised a Foss Avenue Economic Development Coporation.

Could this be the reason that Jackie Poplar rebuked Neeley and criticized the Flint Econmic Development Corporation and loan offficer Robert Goodman. Neeley sits on the EDC board. Goodman knows his stuff and is helping clean up the mess left behind at FAEC by CCDC. Unless you know state and federal rules regarding such funds and are privy to such loan packages, then you can't sit on the sidelines and second quess the activities.

Poplar wanted to know why Alvin Miller of the Clio rd Tailor shop didn't get a loan. She made other accusations regarding a pizza loan, whose owner had a heart attack and falsely attributed to him ownership of 2 other pizza franchises, including one in Fenton. Perhaps she should have reviewed the minutes of the loan committees and not just the default list. She also took off on Katoola again. She doesn't seem to like this man.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:12 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

That's some good info Ms. Haywood.
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Who?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Furnitureguy
F L I N T O I D

I am hearing it has something to do with the opening of Witherbees market? Anyone know if there is any truth to this??
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

oh lord..... Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Anyone realize that people at the land bank are jumping ship? First Dan Kildee and now the urban planner guy Jeff Burdick. Who is next?
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jeff Burdicks wife got a job in another city and he left with her. His skills will enable him to work anywhere. He was not pleased with the move and he will be sorely missed by many in Flint. He did not jump ship.

No, this was not about Witherbees. It is more about the lack of leadership in the department and the current inability to move the money and draw down funds. Eason himself made reference to issues of slow draw downs in the department. Nancy trained Karen Morris and Glenda Dunlap on how to manage the office, but changes in the structure have not allowed them the chance.

With the help of Nancy and her tremendous leadership skills the department shed many of the problems created by poor management. But it is difficult, if not impossible, to overcome the number of years that the city has failed to answer the HUD findings. The OIG audit covered a 17 year span, and they could do so because some of the unresolved problems went back that far.

A second OIG report will be forthcoming in the near future.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 am 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

How do you know this Sally Haywood?
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Because I know Jeff Burdick Mr. Greg Eason.

Will you do anything to become mayor?
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

whaaaa???? Shocked Shocked Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Stay tuned, folks, this could get interesting.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When my friends requests for the annual monitoring report went unanswered and council indicated they did not have a copy, then he sent a Freedom of Information to HUD.

Last year when Nancy came back from HUD meeting in DC (paid her own way) she teared up every time she recalled the praise heaped upon her by HUD. They had a room set up for her with a banner that read "Flint Rocks".

Nancy has been in this line of work most of her adult life and she never deserved the abuse she has taken.
Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 am 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Nancy has been in this line of work most of her adult life and she never deserved the abuse she has taken.

Webs,

You are so right. That is the problem with the Brown and Walling administration. They were and still are so intent on getting rid of anybody that was even remotely associated with Williamson that they failed to notice that SOME PEOPLE WERE DAMN GOOD AT THIER JOBS!

I must admit that I myself have an issue with Mrs. Jerkowitz, but it is something that could have been easily dealt with in one conversation. And that was an issue that is easily overshadowed by her ability to do her job in getting this city grants.

They also removed Arnold Brown from his position and replaced him with an individual who himself admitted had no idea what to do as head of Sanitation. At least somebody woke up and reinstated Mr. Arnold Brown. I will applaud that perfomance by administration.

And a huge travesty was that Interim Mayor Brown demoted and Walling fired John Carpenter. If you have ever met Mr. Carpenter, he is a very dedicated man. His first goal in his job with the city was to give the taxpayers the most "bang for their buck!" I sat in meetings with him and saw him take calls personally from citizens and write down the problems on post-it notes. His desk always had a collection of these notes. These notes did not remind him to get the job done, because he usually got off the phone with the citizen and immediately called one of his workers to check on the problem and correct it, or get back with him if it needed more attention Those notes were his reminders to follow up on the problems to make sure they were successfully completed.

Interim Mayor Brown did not like the fact that when he tried to bully Mr. Carpenter by telling him that he was Mr. Carpenter’s boss, Mr. Carpenter responded that the Mayor was not his boss, that the PEOPLE OF FLINT were his boss. Oh what a refreshing attitude from a civil servant! Mr. Carpenter, at one point after being removed by Walling, was replaced by 3 people. And in my honest opinion, they were not doing the job as well as Mr. Carpenter, especially at the cost of three people versus one.

Mr. Walling, as a politician and a Rhodes Scholar, you still have a lot to learn. If you were running a business, it would be bankrupt, not just financially, but morally and ethically as well. I will give you a bit of advice that could take you far in life. When you hire people to get things done, you do not necessarily have to like them, or for that matter they do not have to like you. But the important thing is that everybody acts professionally, sets aside personal feelings and gets down to business, getting the job done properly and efficiently. And believe it or not, if everyone you hire fits that mold, that makes you look better!

That would have fit with your campaign promise of hiring "qualified" people instead of people like Tracy Adkinson and Wendy Johnson. These are just more ways you have demonstrated that you are not qualified for the Mayor's job.

Thomas Jefferson
Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Word from my south side friend is a HUD technician will be here tomorrow and more HUD officials will be here next week.

He gave me a copy of the Jan. 8,2010 letter from Louis Berra re:
Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report Yr 2008
CDBG Project # B 08 MC 26 0018
Home Project # M08/MC260205
Emergency Shelter Grant Project # S 06 MC 0018

They congratulated the accomplishments of the past year (under nancy)

"The CDBG standard for program progress is that the grantee has a ratio of no more than 1.50 of the current grant unexpended. We are pleased to note that the City of Flint has met its 2009 goal and its present ratio is 1.26. This is the best ration of any Michigan CDBG grantee with an annual grant of $2,000,000 or more."

The audit for the year ending June 30,2008 contained one finding.

The city experienced an expenditure of CDBG funds on projects benefitting low-income persons of 100%.

Flint funded 9 ESG organizations and met all progress requirements.

**After a review of the data on American Recovery and reinvestment Act Programs as of the December 31, 2009, The City of flint has not drawn down any funds under the CDBG-R or the HPRP. Also little progress has been made on the Neighborhood Stabilization Program.

The letter was sent to Walling and cc to Eason and Atkinson.

The audit report can be found on http://harvester.census.gov/sac/.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Is HUD's annual visit the real reason Eason is rushing to name a Director? This is the position Brown eliminated (despite charter and ordinance) to name Tracy Atkinson the Superintendent. Freedon of Information requests stated this position did not exist.

Expect more reorganization in the future of this department. My South side friend says up to 4 Walling cronies will end up here to replace the 4 top employees. Walling will wait until the new budget and each position will allegedly have a salary that exceeds current salaries.

In other words you will have a brain drain and a loss of experience when we need it the most.
Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: