FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 2 fire ststions to close?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Channel 12 just reported that stations 3 and 8 will be closed. 3 is right around the corner from Megaweewee Hills & Wendy Johnson. Maybe they don't rate as highly as they thought.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Union leader says closing two Flint fire stations will put residents in danger
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
February 26, 2010, 12:30PM
FLINT, Michigan — Closing two Flint fire stations is a mistake that would have a "tremendous" affect on public safety, said Raul Garcia, president of the Flint Firefighters Union.

Not only could it take longer for firefighters to reach a burning home or structure, but it also could affect mutual aid agreements with fire departments in surrounding communities, he said.

"This is a major concern," Garcia said today. "But we’re going to do the best we can with the resources that we have."

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said today that Station 8 on Atherton Road on the city’s south side and Station 3 on King Avenue on the city’s north side will close March 9 if his proposed 23 firefighter layoffs go into effect.

Walling said the layoffs could be avoided if an agreement is reached on union concessions. The city is trying to trim an $8-million deficit.

Garcia said the firefighters union will continue to meet with the city, but the city's proposals so far have not been fair. He said the mayor and his appointees have taken 5 percent pay cuts but he's asking the unions to take cuts that equal 15 percent or higher.

"Negotiations are a two-way street but they want it to be a one-way street," Garcia said. "If the city is not willing to meet us halfway, it's not going to be on me it's going to be on them."

Garcia said closing the two stations could endanger mutual aid agreements with surrounding communities.

"Why should they basically cover the city of Flint?" he said of other fire departments. "If I lived in Burton I'd be outraged. You're using my people and my equipemnt — what happens if something breaks out in my area?"

I did not see the report, but my friends were angered that Walling was smiling when he also announced thow he was laying off more employees because he did not get agreements on the furlough days. I have had several phone calls.

What you should be concerned about is the increase both in the distance it will take to reach your home and the corresponding increase in your homeowners insurance.
Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:50 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: