FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How deep will Walling cut the Police?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Bossman schreef:
Webs, The other unions have talked of ULP's although I do not believe any have been filed yet. The police unions(at least sgt, and capts, and lts) have already contacted the union attys and lined up a strategy and time line. The ball is in Walling's court.

Bossman- At Wallings State of the City address Thursday, he indicated the public safety unions were meeting with him. Judging from the post about the rally, I take it things did not go well.
Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think they are also posting some very professional fliers areound town which is where I learned about tellwallingno.com
Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:13 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Link
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:18 am 
Furnitureguy
F L I N T O I D

We are in the process of getting my mother in law out of Burton right now, because we feel that it is too close to Flint. In recent weeks there has been an uptick in crime in her neighborhood. There is a party store that has been robbed at gunpoint 2 times in 2 weeks by 2 different hoods. Enough is enough. I am moving her to Fenton because she wants to stay in Genesee County for whatever reason.

Flint is a dead city, and It saddens me to see other young people wasting their lives here in an effort to stave off the obvious. Even though I dont agree with Ryan, and Adam for example, I feel bad for them. They are wasting their time, resources, and young life chasing causes no one cares about. No one cares about Flint enough to make it better. This is why Flint is the way it is. No one cares. You will not change flint alone. 75 people will not change Flint. The majority of its residents, over 80% are african american, and dealing with issues of survival. This majority is trying to stay alive in a city with 2 realities. The reality of being dirt poor and the reality of people like Ryan being just above dirt poor. Wake up all, get out and go to a real city where you can make a real difference. Go to a place where someone actually cares what you have to say, not just act like they do for the moment.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:

Link

Yes, we will have fewer police and firefighters under Walling's watch. But think of all the great conversations that will be going on at City Hall! Debates about the struggles of the working class and the oppressiveness of the Capitalistic system and other issues from a Marxist perspective. High octane , cerbreal stuff. So what if a gang banger shoots at innocent citizens and goes without being caught, Walling needs more highly educated and highly paid suit wearers to consort with. The man has a "vison" for Flint, how dare you question that?
'
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:50 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Furnitureguy schreef:
We are in the process of getting my mother in law out of Burton right now, because we feel that it is too close to Flint. In recent weeks there has been an uptick in crime in her neighborhood. There is a party store that has been robbed at gunpoint 2 times in 2 weeks by 2 different hoods. Enough is enough. I am moving her to Fenton because she wants to stay in Genesee County for whatever reason.

Flint is a dead city, and It saddens me to see other young people wasting their lives here in an effort to stave off the obvious. Even though I dont agree with Ryan, and Adam for example, I feel bad for them. They are wasting their time, resources, and young life chasing causes no one cares about. No one cares about Flint enough to make it better. This is why Flint is the way it is. No one cares. You will not change flint alone. 75 people will not change Flint. The majority of its residents, over 80% are african american, and dealing with issues of survival. This majority is trying to stay alive in a city with 2 realities. The reality of being dirt poor and the reality of people like Ryan being just above dirt poor. Wake up all, get out and go to a real city where you can make a real difference. Go to a place where someone actually cares what you have to say, not just act like they do for the moment.

Dude, you read my mind or something! Hey I gave Walling a chance but your assement of the situatuion seems to be spot on.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:53 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

The US average salary plus benefits for a police officer is $71,251.

Now bossman has said that Flint's officer salary with benefits is $80,000-$85,000. Now tell me why they cant take a 15% pay cut which would bring them about in line with said national average?
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

That is because previous layoffs have cut so deep into the force that officers with 17 yrs of senoirity were almost out the door. Would you put your life on the line and take a 15% pay cut plus the other cuts Walling is putting out there? I question the figure you show because other states have come here to recruit trained officers and their salaries were higher.

The average wage of Wallings appointees is close to the wages and benefits of an officer.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

The following is from the Mott Foundation, helps give an insight into community policing and how its used for cities on a tight budget commonly:

The new CCP effort will deploy 18 foot patrol officers across all nine wards of the city. The city also plans to utilize CityStat, a data-tracking and management computer software program, to assist officers in identifying areas of criminal activity in each ward and prioritize neighborhoods for patrol. Now being used in dozens of cities to improve the delivery of municipal services, CityStat enables law enforcement officials to track and map data on all types of crime, spot trends and allocate limited resources more strategically, according to a report issued by the Center for American Progress, a nonpartisan research and education institute in Washington, DC.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:14 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

more....

http://www.mott.org/news/news/2010/policing.aspx?utm_source=email&utm_medium=digestNewsletter
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:17 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Most people wouldn't put their lives at risk Webs. And I think if some crap came down the line and a poor cop had to use deadly force Walling's admin would throw them under the bus as soon as they could to lessen the city's liabilty. So far Walling has done nothing but put the people of the city at further risk by cutting the police and fire protection. This town is a goner if all this happen, WALLING STOP HIRING YOUR CRONIES AND FIND THE BALLS TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP ESSENTIAL SERVICES.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:17 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Might I add that the former chief of police of Lansing supports this program quite a bit. (And the 2 new ministations will be in the North End FYI).
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

And the foot patrol count is actually 18, bringing the layoff number down to 32.
Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

If the actual number in the grant were 18, then Walling would have announced it.

We have a COPS millage and I believe this number might be the number provided by the millage.

Haskell is supposed to be open and was announced months ago by Walling. It is still not open and available to the public/ Only one community meeing has been held there.

many older citizens do not want their meeings at the North side mini-station as there is limited parking and they fear the area. meetings have been ongoing and criminal activity was occuring across the street in the daytime.

many have also voiced reluctance to go to the proposed Hurley mini-station.

If you have been following posts for months, then you are aware that volunteer applications have been seriously delayed for processing and those accepted have not been contacted for training or orientation. The mini-station had a number of volunteers for years. They left when they found out the city officials said their station had been closed . The city has been unable o recruit replacements for this mini-station. Other mini-stations are also unstaffed with volunteers.

For someone ho doesn't want to debate the issue, you are investing a significant amount of energy trying to win.

have you spoken to the former police chief of flint Gary hagler. He went to washington to testify on behalf of Flint and the problems created by the loss of COPS and Byrnes grants. He was one of only 5 chiefs invited.
Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Reread the article- Boles is discussing community policing strategies and Mott never says it is funding 18 positions. It said the CCP strategy is using 18 COPS officers. I believe Walling indicated 20 were being laid off. So you may have COPs officers that are new and not trained.

The data Mott is referencing goes back to 1982 and earlier. Foot patrol is not considered that effective in today's policing theory, especially in a city as large in area as Flint.

Community Policing Strategies include far more than foot patrol.
Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:55 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: