FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: If you were the Mayor?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Given the city's financial status, what would you do if you were the Mayor? What positions would you eliminate and/or consolidate? Who would be gone and who would you hire? What salaries & benefits would be paid? What policies would you institute?

here's a link to the city organizational chart to help you out.
http://www.cityofflint.com/About/org_chart.html

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Give this a try. If you find out that any of those who were canned are ones you cant live without restore them otherwise dont let the door slam ya in the ass on the way out. Very Happy

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:01 pm 
EnlightenMe02
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Give this a try. If you find out that any of those who were canned are ones you cant live without restore them otherwise dont let the door slam ya in the ass on the way out. Very Happy

Love it!
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:13 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

you didn't scratch off the mayor

quote:
EnlightenMe02 schreef:
quote:
twotap schreef:

Love it!

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:35 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

All Walling appointees to submit a letter of resignation within one hour. I will write "accepted" and sign it by noon Friday. Those accepted will have until the end of the day Friday to pack their personal items and leave. Those staying, there may be some, will also be notified Friday.
The following positions are eliminated.
Government policy director - this is the Mayor's job, anyway.
Communications director - people can speak for themselves. They answer to the Mayor for what they say.
Citizens services - this will be combined - see below.
Green coordinator - maybe when we have enough "green".

If these positions paid 80K per year + benefits, that's 56 or 6 more patrol officers on the street.

Human Resources head will be someone experienced in this type of position.

Neighborhood will be renamed Neighborhood and Citizens services. This will be the number you call for all concerns and complaints outside of public safety. Possible candidate, John Carpenter.

Public Safety - there will be a Police chief and a Fire chief. Supervisors will be asked to recommend the person in the department best qualified for the job. If necessary, this will be an interim position until a thorough search for permanent chiefs can be conducted.

Community Development - Beg Nancy Jurkiewicz-Rich to take the job. Give her a free hand in restaffing the department so so it contains qualified, knowledgeable, motivated people.

Pay for all positions will be evaluated, and possibly be power than at present. We will pay according to qualifications and what similar positions pay in other cities.

As a GM retiree, I don't need city paid health insurance. So, that cost, plus enough of my salary returned to the city will go to hire another patrol officer.

All supervisors and department heads will fill out evaluations on the people immediately below them. All employees will do the same for the supervisor immediately above them. This will be done every 6 months and reviewed by the mayor. Low evaluations will lead to a formal job performance review and possible discharge.

Meet with the council members and ask for cooperation. After all, we're supposed to be here to serve the public to the best of our abilities. That MUST be our only agenda.

That should do for a start.

One other thing - Every City employee, from top to bottom, will remember that they work for the citizens, will make serving the citizens their number one priority, and do their jobs accordingly.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Try eliminating all of those new superintendent positions Brown created. He now has 3 or more people doing the job John Carpenter did.
Try eliminating the Citizens Services person who doesn't return call from Flint residents.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:28 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

i would resign and move far far away

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:32 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

1rst. take a 15% pay cut.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: