FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: These new foot patrols, what is their purpose?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

I just hope these foot patrols do not waste their time with citing people for drinking in public or loud music on a weekend and that type of crap as a way to generate money and claim they are doing something about what is happening here. I myself and many other residents here do not care about that stuff. The drunks around here are relatively harmless and don't shoot people over booze. If one of my neighbors is drinking a beer on the weekend and sees me out in my yard and walks over to talk to me with their beer in hand, leave them alone. They need to crack down on the dope houses, dealers, trap houses and hookers that bring most of the violence with them. All they have to do is ask the residents and most of them can point out the problem houses.

Just a few weeks ago, after the dope house had already been shot once and our house too. We start seeing more state police. We thought they were here to help. Were they trying to raid the dope house?.... Nope. They are pulling people over and asking me what I'm growing in my garden (strawberries btw). All the while dealers, addicts and well known prostitutes are pouring in and out of the house across the street??? WTF!!! They all knew damn well it was a dope house and had no plans to do anything about it. They were choosing what was easy and would generate money rather than dealing with what was most critical for reducing violence. I just hope this foot patrol doesn't go the same way. If so they can be just as useless sitting in the mini-station, ignoring the dope houses from there, rather than harassing good residents over menial crap.

It took a rival dealer peppering that house with automatic weapons and a bullet through my neighbor's living room to get them out. If the purpose of the foot patrols turns out to be surveillance and identifying of the dope houses and problem areas for raids/crackdowns, then welcome!! You are more than welcome to set up an observation point from my front porch, have a few glasses of sun tea and use my bathroom when you are out on rounds. If not.... Screw them! They can come back when they can do something useful to stop this violence instead of putting on a show.
Post Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Im liking Lacyw more all the time. You do have a CPL dont you?

Post Wed May 26, 2010 12:14 pm 
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

I'm actually planning on going to the range to find out how to get one. I still don't have a handgun yet, so I didn't see the point. We have shotguns and a 50 cal. We were looking at semi automatic 12 gauges two weeks ago. My other ones are pump holding 5 shots. More sportsman like in my opinion, as I have only ever used them for hunting before.

I am still torn between a handgun and an assault rifle. If I get the assault rifle, I won't need a cpl, but I won't be able to keep it with me in my yard. After what I seen last week, I'm even more torn. A handgun wouldn't do me as much good inside my home as an assault rifle should we be fired upon with what they had.
Post Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'm assuming the 50 is a muzzleloader?

The purpose of a handgun is to fight your way to your rifle. The AK isn't the most accurate rifle, but it's cheap & ammo is relatively easy to find. A 12GA with alternating 00 buckshot & slugs is effective, too. Slugs should be accurate enough out to 50 yards & buck out to 30 yards. Remington 870's with 18" barrels & 00 buck worked well in Vietnam.

CPL - You can fing info & the application here - http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/
Basically, fill out the application, take the class, take the application, class certificate & a passport size picture to the county clerk. Pay the fee, $115.00, & wait for the letter to come pick up the license. Classes are usually in the $125.00 to $150.00 range.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed May 26, 2010 1:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

When you do get your CPL your going to need something to carry all the time and an assault rifle aint gonna cut it. By the way one of the cheapest rifles that uses the same round as an AK is an SKS. They hold 10 rounds and are fed by stripper clips. They look kinda crude but they work. If you do decide to get a handgun Williams in Davison always has a good selection of used which will save you money to buy ammo with which has sure gotten more expensive in the last 18 mos. or so. Any questions ill bet Dave and I can help cause I am a certified Gunnut. Very Happy
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/809usedhandguns.htm

Post Wed May 26, 2010 8:17 pm 
bluecat1122
F L I N T O I D

You will not see Foot Patrol in its true form as it was sold to the public. The police are now being told "Well, when we say Foot Patrol, we don't literally mean on foot, we mean talking to residents more." In addition, even if they wanted to do this insane suicidal traditional foot patrol with single digit officers patrolling the streets, they can't. There's simply too few officers to handle the ever increasing call volume that continues to come in. Hmmm, average of 8 or 9 officers on street trying to clear a board of 20 to 40 calls (at least) that never drops below 15 with new ones constantly coming in, AND most of the calls require 2 officers. In addition, when officers start their shifts, they're already 20 to 40 calls down, go figure.
Post Wed May 26, 2010 8:23 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

IF there were enough officers, and IF they were assigned to the same patrol areas, they would get to know who the good & bad people were in the neighborhood. The citizens would know the officers by name, and mutual trust would develop.
Then again, I'm not an expert on policing. At least that's what chief lock told me when I suggested this to him.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu May 27, 2010 7:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Thats whats needed for sure cops who know the locals and of course the bad guys. Thats what we have up here and it works well. The only ones bitching are the drunks who keep getting DUIs. Of course we dont have the gangbanging subculture morons running wild and shooting all hours of the day and night to contend with. Maybe thats why we moved up here in the first place.

Post Thu May 27, 2010 8:16 am 
UncleSmack
F L I N T O I D

Foot Patrol? I was told by a friend that she witnessed a cop in downtown Flint on a damn Segway!!! Those things modestly priced are around $6,000!! WTF?!? What ever happened to the bicycle? or god forbid, walking?? I didn't know the city had that much money to flush down the toilet! I can think of a dozen better things that could be done with $6,000, and that is just for 1...I have no idea how many the city owns but when I heard about it I was pissed off... Now I haven't seen them being used yet but know the information is accurate, has anyone else witnessed or heard about this absurdity??
Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:34 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
UncleSmack schreef:
I was told by a friend that she witnessed a cop in downtown Flint on a damn Segway!!! Those things modestly priced are around $6,000!! (snip) I didn't know the city had that much money to flush down the toilet!
Relax, Uncle, it's true. The segways were part of grants from the Mott Foundation. Seems more and more grants are required to even run the city. See:

http://www.mott.org/about/searchresults.aspx?search=Flint%20police%20segways&page=1
Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:03 pm 
UncleSmack
F L I N T O I D

They should have used the grant to stop lay offs or pay for bicycles. At least tax money didn't pay for them!
Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:20 pm 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

Segways???

What are they -- beach patrol?
Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:22 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

I saw one of those Segways parked near the Brown Sugar Cafe one time when I was downtown Flint. What do they top out at speed wise? I suspect a grandmother recorvering from a broken hip using a walker could out lap one of those things. For 6k they should be like something Batman would use, with a bulletproof windshield and a gappling hook and wench. And a couple of .30 cal guns mounted on the sides would be a nice touch. And don't forget a siren with lights mounted on pole in back of the standing platform. Cool novelty , but how effective are they for crime prevention?
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:10 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: