FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Metawaneenee historic district plan in jeopardy?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Metawaneenee Hills limited liability corporation has been assembling land since 2006 or earlier (Vineland was earlier), however changes in the makeup of the neighborhood may impact the viability of any creation of a historic district nd new construction.

Under Walling, this area has disintegrated due to a lack of police. The recent State Police arrests has done little to curb the violence and disorder in this and surrounding areas. Add the location of halfway houses and Road to Freedom and the problem is compounded threefold or more.

The large mansion like and Georgian homes along Welch are being abandoned along with smaller homes. They too will be raided by the metal thieves and vandalized. Salem has a house for sale on Pontiac and some homes on Seminole have been for sale for years. Road to Freedom has indicated they may buy them too. The Acosta brothers out of Texas started to renovate a home on Begole by Seminole but have left it without completion. The house next door was stripped by the metal thieves while they were here. Meanwhile more fires in the area add to the disarray.

In 2008 the Genesee County Metropolitan Planning Commission discussed ideas for selling new and renovated homes by nonprofits and financed through the GCMPC that could not be sold. These homes were not in Flint. Look on Grand traverse and other areas in Flint and you will see unsold renovated homes that have been for sale for a long time.

MSHDA actually financed three homes twice. They gave greater Eastside the money to renovate 3 homes, 2 on Delaware and 1 on Burns. When after a year and the houses had not sold, MSHDA gave money to the Shelter of flint to buy the homes and pay back the first MSHDA debt.

When I read about the plans to build new homes in Flint, I am amazed. All I hear are people trying to figure out if they can afford to leave Flint.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

As long as money ends up in the right pockets it doesn't matter if new homes are sold or not.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: