FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Local Graffiti

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
EnlightenMe02
F L I N T O I D

In an effort to become educated about the gang culture, I started photographing some of the tags that I noticed close to my area.

Here are a few of what I have to so far.

These photos are from Kearsley Street, down by Glenwood.

I'm a FB fanatic and joined the Detroit Major Crimes and Violent Gangs Task Force. Through this page, I came in contact with a gentleman named Raymond Decker who runs the Make Orlando Safer Today page. He's been a wonderful source of information. He also took the time to look at the first two photographs and give an opinion of what types of tags these were.

He also steered me towards the GangFree Army site. For those like me who are in the early learning stages, it's a great place to get your feet wet. For those involved in this professionally, it's a great networking site.

http://www.rustykeeblefoundation.org/Army.htm

00SL2, what type of group are you affiliated with? I'd love to learn more.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The photos appear to be the work of a tagging crew. They can be violent when someone messes with their tags. This happens every summer when the college kids are home for the summer. There was a bridge trestle behind the cola factory on Lapeer (or Lippincott) that drew taggers from all over the state.

Try the site "Gangs or us" and is used by many police.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:09 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

These were taken July 11, 2010. Notice the carwash (on Corunna west of Bradley) and Juliano's (at Corunna and Ballenger) are by the same person; local drunks frequent both places. There's a house on the north side of Court Street between Glenwood and Miller that has the same lettering as Rocky's and McFall's graffiti. Rocky's and McFall's are in close proximity at Court/Corunna/Pershing intersection. My guess is the first two are by a different person than the last two, and altogether different from the third type balloon-style graffiti. [Note I'm a newbie at posting photos, and tried to resize on Photobucket with a dialup connection. I'll learn. Don't fall off your chair, Twotap!]

Back in 2007 there were 4 individuals prosecuted for graffiti vandalism in Flint and as part of their sentence in 2008 they painted mural(s) in the courthouse. Would be interesting to see what their graffiti style was.

Edited to add: I should have mentioned there was also a huge bubble-type graffiti bearing blue and orange paint on the front of the former Marathon station on Court Street at Thayer around 9 a.m. Sunday, July 11, 2010. It, and the car wash graffiti on Corunna Road, had already been covered when I went by there again after 6:30 p.m. the same day. Note, also, graffiti covering the front of the old brick building on the south side of Corunna Road between Asylum and Hazelton Streets was also covered with paint. That graffiti had been partially hidden from the street by tall weeds/grass. I've been told the building was part of the Michigan School for the Deaf property many years ago. Numerous times over the years it has been repainted to cover graffiti.

WJRT-TV12 honored the Citizens Nuisance Task Force a week ago as their Persons of the Week for covering the graffiti along Corunna Road.

The former Marathon station has become an eyesore with weeds growing and trash littering the property. It also appears a section of paneling near the ground has been torn off a corner of the building, with insulation lying on the ground. Use your imagination about someone getting inside.

Last edited by 00SL2 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
EnlightenMe02 schreef:
In an effort to become educated about the gang culture, I started photographing some of the tags that I noticed close to my area. | These photos are from Kearsley Street, down by Glenwood. | I'm a FB fanatic and joined the Detroit Major Crimes and Violent Gangs Task Force.
FB as in the graffiti, or as in FaceBook?

Comparing the FbS signature in your first two photos is interesting. Smooth simple curves compared to a more jagged form. In your second photo, the red-lettered FbS appears to me a second person tried to imitate the signature, calling himself FbS2, as in the "second." A wannabe, or an expression of idolatry?

Note the hook downward at the top of the red letter F (which doesn't appear in the first photo), and compare that downward hook to the lettering on the Rocky's and McFall's photos I posted (which is the same signature on the house on Court Street east of Glenwood, not pictured). The same type of jagged lettering is on the Court Street side of the store at Court/Glenwood not pictured here. Kearsley/Glenwood is not far away. Wouldn't you guess this person lives very near these locations?
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:06 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

dialup connection. Shocked Laughing I'll learn. Don't fall off your chair, Twotap!] Your photos look fine. Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:57 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The first two pictures of your second set are definitely gang related and not tagger.

The 6 pointed star, the number 6 with the 3 pointed pitchforkl as well as the word CRIP all point to their affirmation of their status. Most likely at some point in their grafitti they will declare the meaning of their acronym.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Most times these groups are not associated with the national gang centers, but they use many of the symbols and other gang expressions of the national group. That does not make them any less dangerous.

6 is the number of the folk nation.

The star of David is really 2 triangles; one pointed to heaven and one pointed to hell.
Each of the 6 points of the star has a meaning. The accepted meaning is love, life, loyalty, wisdom, knowledge and understanding. However, there can be regional differences and I have seen groups describe the meanings slightly different.

The pitchfork up can also have different meanings, depending on who is using it. Usually it will mean love, power and hate or it can mean mind, body and soul.

More than likely the YG in your 2 photos could stand for Young Gangster. If you note in the first photo the B is a capital letter and is backwards. This is probably meant to disrespect the blood nation. In the second photo the b is lower case and printed normal.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:53 pm 
EnlightenMe02
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The photos appear to be the work of a tagging crew. They can be violent when someone messes with their tags. This happens every summer when the college kids are home for the summer. There was a bridge trestle behind the cola factory on Lapeer (or Lippincott) that drew taggers from all over the state.

Try the site "Gangs or us" and is used by many police.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
EnlightenMe02 schreef:
In an effort to become educated about the gang culture, I started photographing some of the tags that I noticed close to my area. | These photos are from Kearsley Street, down by Glenwood. | I'm a FB fanatic and joined the Detroit Major Crimes and Violent Gangs Task Force.

Comparing the FbS signature in your first two photos is interesting. Smooth simple curves compared to a more jagged form. In your second photo, the red-lettered FbS appears to me a second person tried to imitate the signature, calling himself FbS2, as in the "second." A wannabe, or an expression of idolatry?

Note the hook downward at the top of the red letter F (which doesn't appear in the first photo), and compare that downward hook to the lettering on the Rocky's and McFall's photos I posted (which is the same signature on the house on Court Street east of Glenwood, not pictured). The same type of jagged lettering is on the Court Street side of the store at Court/Glenwood not pictured here. Kearsley/Glenwood is not far away. Wouldn't you guess this person lives very near these locations?

I was talking about Facebook. The info I received on the 1st photo was, Fbs was someone they said has been in the area since 2007. You may very well be right about the second photo, which they felt was done by a lone tagger, perhaps an admirer.

I took a drive down Corruna, Court street and again down Kearsley to see if anything new had popped up. I noticed that most were covered with the exception of the house, the party store at Court and the tag at Juliano's. I wonder why the two stores weren't covered. As a business, I would think that would be high priority for them. Are these stores owned by the same person/family?

I was told that our area is saturated with Folk Nation, so that was my starting point. It's crazy how much detail is involved with each group. I have a lot of learning to do.

Has anyone seen any rival tags around? I guess we should keep our eyes peeled to see if anything new pops up at Juliano's.

Untanglingwebs is right. I was warned that they don't take kindly to people poking around, photographing these, and to exercise extreme caution when doing so.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
EnlightenMe02 schreef:

YARS was one pof the most famous taggers in this area and those who imitated him were YARS2 etc. Yars was one of the individuals referenced earlier who did the mural.. YARS also painted a mural on the riverfront park that was beautiful and resembled some of Dali's themes. Art Wenzlaff of the International School on S. saginaw knows a lot about the local taggers and their art. Some taggers are also gang memers and do both kinds of grafitti.
Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:57 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Explicit graffiti cleaned up at Flint elementary school
Published: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 4:50 PM Updated: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 5:07 PM
Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Maintenance workers on Wednesday were removing images and words spray-painted by vandals on the outside of Potter Elementary School, according to Flint Community Schools officials.

District spokesman Robert Campbell said graffiti is a fairly common problem at the district's closed and open buildings, but that this case was particularly offensive.

"It will be gone today," Campbell said.

The grafitti included some sexual images and explicit language.

Campbell said workers use power washing, chemical treatment and sandblasting methods to remove graffiti. He said occurrences tend to increase during summer months.

(Photo of graffiti statement,"Won't ever catch me!!")

Graffiti found on the walls, doors and windows outside Potter Elementary School this week was being removed by maintenance workers Wednesday.

"Once the district is notified, we're out there in a day or two," said Campbell. "No graffiti is left unaddressed in the district."

Cassandra Hall, parent of a five-year-old pre-school student in the district's summer Tot Lot program at Potter on Averill Avenue, said she was disturbed by the act of vandalism.

"Her teacher had taped construction paper up over some of the more inappropriate pictures and words," Hall said in an email. "When I did stop to look at what had been done, I was appalled."

She said her daughter asked her about the meaning of a dirty word sprayed onto the building.

By noon Wednesday, graffiti sprayed onto brick had been removed, and walls and doors were being repainted, according to district maintenance director Kirk Grzelka.

© 2010 MLive.com. All rights reserved.

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/07/explicit_graffiti_being_remove.html
Post Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:40 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Potter School has been hit many times by both gangs and taggers. One time the cameras clearly showed one individual teaching 2 others how to tag. The school was frightened when they saw the depictions of cartoon like bombs and the words referencing being "bombed". It was not a threat as they had been bombed by the grafitti. At that time there was at least 3 active tagging groups. This particular group was also said to be linked to the Cobras.

Gang grafitti has also hit the Thompson shopping Center and the businesses near the corner of Western and Richfield as well as several areas near Rollingwood. The laundermat and the bar on Kearsley Lake have been especially hard hit. Davison Road and Branch Road were other frequent targets.

More than one gang has hit this area.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: