FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Merger of Clerk and Register of Deeds

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The merger can't occur as long as there is an elected official in place. The merger may occur as long as it is started prior to the primary for the next election.

Genesee County commissioners vote to merge clerk, register of deeds offices
Published: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 2:00 AM
Ron Fonger | Flint Journal

GENESEE COUNTY -- The county Board of Commissioners has voted to merge the clerk and register of deeds offices effective Jan. 1, 2013, but Register Rose Bogardus says the move might be reversed before it ever happens and won't save taxpayers money.

Commissioners voted unanimously to complete the merger in advance of the primary election in 2012, saying the long-talked-about consolidation will cut the cost of county government by eliminating an elected position.

Board members talked about merging the two offices in 2008 after the death of former register Melvin McCree but ran out of time, never holding a required public hearing or gaining the required two-thirds vote to make the consolidation a reality.

"(Starting early on the merger) is of the essence," said county board Chairman Jamie Curtis. "You can't miss those deadlines. If you miss them you're out of luck (for another four years).

"(Corporation counsel) Ward Chapman has the whole thing mapped out," Curtis said. "We'll follow it to the letter of the law and do it right. I think our constituents are about being conservative with their money and providing the services that are needed at the lowest cost."

The county clerk maintains court, birth and death, and many other records and supervises elections while the register of deeds officially records property and other records, including deeds and mortgages.

The clerk and register of deeds each earn more than $82,000 annually in salary, but Bogardus said she doesn't think a merger will save money because work still needs to be done and employees still require supervision.

She campaigned to eliminate the office as she ran for the position in 2008, saying the county could no longer afford to "do business as usual."

But Bogardus said last week that as she's looked closer, she doesn't "see any savings" and said commissioners are moving on the merger only "to embarrass me."

Bogardus has sued the county for cutting her budget, saying commissioners have left her to operate at less than a serviceable level, which the law requires.

"It may or may nor (happen)," she said of the merger. "Another Board of Commissioners will be elected between now and then," and could rescind the decision.

County Clerk Michael J. Carr has been an advocate of merging the two offices as a cost-saving measure.

Carr said there will be logistical issue to work out before a consolidation can take place, including the logistics of the two offices being located in different buildings.

It's too early to think about whether he would run to become the county's first clerk-register, Carr said.

Bogardus has said she planned to retire after one term as register but said last week that the position of clerk-register "sounds interesting."
Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Interesting that her campaign focused on merging the offices, but now she's against it.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

She appears to already be looking for a new job.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:21 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, but she's going to be stompin' her little footsies all of the way out of the door if she's looking for a new job.
Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: