FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: More police layoffs coming?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Per channel 12 this morning, Walling said that if more grant money can't be found, he'll have to lay off 10 more officers. If true, it'll make the recall more certain.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint's 2011 Budget Calls For More Police Cuts
Plan Calls To Reduce Force From 135 To 125 Officers

POSTED: 3:39 pm EDT August 9, 2010
UPDATED: 6:13 pm EDT August 9, 2010

facebookdel.icio.usbuzzdiggreddit›› Email›› Print
FLINT, Mich. -- With police in Flint searching for the stabbing suspect, many are asking if now is the best time for the city to cut more officers from their force.

The city's 2011 budget projects cutting their police department from 135 officers down to 125.

The Michigan State police have headed the task force to find the killer, but city police are working with them.

Mayor Dayne Walling said that the partnership with the state police allows them to take on cases like this, and denied any cuts would come to the force.

TV5 asked Walling the same question Monday but he denied the layoffs. "I want to be clear, there are no forced planned reductions at this time,” he told TV5 reporter Julie Banovic.

Walling’s statement conflicts with what a news outlet reported over the weekend, stating the mayor told them he projected cutting another 10 officers to balance the new fiscal year budget.

“Those are only numbers on paper,” said Walling. “And we're also focused on real human lives and people in this community."

Walling said his administration will monitor the budget on a monthly basis and try to sustain the police force with grants.

E-mail news tips to WNEM TV5, or dial 989-758-2044
Copyright 2010 by WNEM.COM. All rights reserved. This material
Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:17 pm 
morebsfromwalling
F L I N T O I D

Well of course he's denying the layoffs now because he know's it will hurt him for the Recall vote. And notice he said "it will be monitored on a monthly basis"? This obviously means he will not cut until AFTER the recall vote is done, so he's not pinned down to saying there will not be more layoffs. Just read between the lines with this guy. Wink
Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

some one should ask how he is paying for all of the new people in dced.

Also what about the new blight squad that were hired from part time staff in other offices. Eason says he did not have to post the jobs. What about our laid off code enforcement? These blight officers are so dumb they had to be pulled back in for more weeks of training. At this rate, they will spend most of heir time being trained.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:01 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

HR Department, City Wide Policy Manual
http://www.cityofflint.com/HumanResource/HR_policies.asp
Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MSNBC carried the story about Walling and the layoffs.
Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Webs, is this the story you're talking about on MSNBC?

U.S.News
Will layoffs hamper cops hunting a serial killer?

State police are heading a task force assembled to try and capture the killer.

That assistance is a godsend, as Flint's "Thin Blue Line" is looking a little threadbare as a result of recent budget cuts and a high crime rate.

The city - ranked no. 5 on a list of U.S. cities with the highest crime rates released last week - indefinitely laid off 40 police officers in March, a move precipitated by lower than anticipated tax revenues.

And Mayor Dayne Walling told msnbc.com on Friday that the budget for fiscal 2011, which began July 1, projects another cut of 10 officers from the department, which now has 135 officers - though he hopes to save most of those positions with federal grants and a deal with a local private college to expand patrols around the campus. The department also was hit by a budget cut of $445,488 last year - forcing it to leave five jobs vacant.

Despite the painful cutbacks, Walling said the slimmed-down force is up to the challenge of finding the killer.

"By having a 130-plus officer force and the partnership with the state police, we have the ability to take on very difficult, sophisticated cases like this," he said. "The impact has really been slower response to low-priority cases."

But Ed Jacques, services director for the Police Officers Association of Michigan, said the cutbacks can't help but hamper the investigation.

He said the city of approximately 110,000 residents, despite its high crime rate, had a significantly lower ratio of officers compared with similar-sized cities.

"In this particular situation, where you've got a serial killer running around, a lot of these guys get picked up after a traffic stop or when they have a run-in with a cop who's working a beat," said Jacques, whose organization represents police officers in 400 state departments, though not Flint's. "Certainly the odds of preventing or stopping those kinds of crimes is greatly diminished when you've got fewer officers."

But Walling, who was elected mayor last year, said that resilient city residents will help take up any slack caused by stretched police resources.
---
Source:
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/article_us.aspx?aid=38597704&afid=1&pg1=2501
Accessed: August 16, 2010
Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

But Walling, who was elected mayor last year, said that resilient city residents will help take up any slack caused by stretched police resources.
---
Source:
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/article_us.aspx?aid=38597704&afid=1&pg1=2501
Accessed: August 16, 2010

With each shift starting out 30 to 40 calls behind, I really can't see how residents can take up that slack. Unless he's planning on the volunteers answering calls.Maybe Walling watched the police academy movies too many times.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sounds like hes calling for vigilante groups to form which probably isnt a bad idea. Very Happy Plenty 12 ga buck shot check, plenty 9mm 45acp check, plenty 223, 7.62x39 check, plenty rope check, Flints crime rate would probably all but disappeer in short order. Very Happy

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Yes oosl2 That is tje story referenced by Councilman Neeley. Neeley wants council to fight for more police.

I was speaking to someone involved in law enforcement and he was making excuses for the lengthy time it took to realize we had a serial killer. My take on the conversation was that that Flint may have so many stabbings and so much violence that the pattern did not emerge until someone came forward after the murder on Miller Rd. That is only my opinion but they are only connecting 5 of 16 stabbings on the serial killer.

Walling downplayed the role of the State Police and the federal agents who carried the ball in this case.
Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:49 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: