FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: What has Walling accomplished?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

I was chatting online with another Flint resident, and we were trying to find something that Walling has actually done, like me he has been to the city about many matters, and even went to the Mayor’s office to talk to him, may promises were made, deadlines set and not one thing was followed through on. I thought it was odd and I began asking around my neighborhood group and found Walling never followed through on a single thing.

I am starting this thread to ask, (seriously) has anyone had an experience where Walling actually followed through?

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:06 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Not exactly what you're looking for, but he did follow through on his threats to cut police & fire protection unless they agreed to huge pay & benefit cuts. I'm also sure he has followed through on promises to put cronies, supporters & hangers-on in high paying jobs regardless of their qualifications.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Not exactly what you're looking for, but he did follow through on his threats to cut police & fire protection unless they agreed to huge pay & benefit cuts. I'm also sure he has followed through on promises to put cronies, supporters & hangers-on in high paying jobs regardless of their qualifications.

OUCH! That comment is biting. Glad you and I are friendly.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:35 pm 
DELETED

DELETED
Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:46 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

Well I asked the question quite a while ago as a serious subject, i also asked it at our neighborhood meeting and of people i meet. After all that and over 200 views of this post not one person or defender of Walling can give me a solid answer as to what this man has accomplished. The best I hear is "give him a chance, it has only been a year", well folks all I see is paybacks to the special interests in town and nothing more.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:56 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I will not sit here and allow you all to attack Walling. You ask what has Walling accomplished and expect everyone to just say nothing. I am offended by that and will give you a few things he has accomplished.

1.) Mayor Walling has attended ribbon cutting ceremonies and cut more ribbons than any other Mayor in the history of this town!

2.) Walling has hired a Green Czar to get this city Green Jobs! What other Mayor has done that?

3.) He has hired former ABC 12 News Anchor Dawn Jones as Communications Director to communicate to the public. To keep the citizens informed on The Serial Stabber, Police and Fire Cuts and even 4th of July festivities.

4.) Mayor Walling created the Blue Badge Patrol Volunteer Corps. in hopes of tackling Flint's most notorious criminals head on. Since he laid off half of the Police officers who better to take the law into their own hands than everyday people like you and I. This program has trained residents how to report crimes, dunk and cover and stop, drop and roll.

5.) Mayor Walling has attracted new jobs to this community. Has anyone forgot about Richard A Short RASCO? That was the guy whose company was granted a $9.1-million tax break by unwitting state of Michigan and City of Flint officials while he was out on paroled in Genesee County.

Do I need to continue?

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

You left out the community wide campaign meetings where Walling and Dawn talked about opening up mini stations and bascially did feel good rah rah rah campaing work under the guise of creating a master plan for the city.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:36 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I will not sit here and allow you all to attack Walling. You ask what has Walling accomplished and expect everyone to just say nothing. I am offended by that and will give you a few things he has accomplished.

4.) Mayor Walling created the Blue Badge Patrol Volunteer Corps. in hopes of tackling Flint's most notorious criminals head on. Since he laid off half of the Police officers who better to take the law into their own hands than everyday people like you and I. This program has trained residents how to report crimes, dunk and cover and stop, drop and roll.

Do I need to continue?

Why do I keep visualizing an 80+ year old lady using a walker chasing a thug down the street while yelling: "Stop or I'll shoot"?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

lol good point Adam! I forgot about those, but i must say most of them Walling didn't even attend.

quote:
Adam schreef:
You left out the community wide campaign meetings where Walling and Dawn talked about opening up mini stations and bascially did feel good rah rah rah campaing work under the guise of creating a master plan for the city.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

lol very true!

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Do I need to continue?

Why do I keep visualizing an 80+ year old lady using a walker chasing a thug down the street while yelling: "Stop or I'll shoot"?

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

More like stop or I'll call the cops and maybe 24 hours later when they show up they might accidentally see you again and take you to the county jail where you will soon be released.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:28 pm 
Cornbread Maxwell
F L I N T O I D

I guess to me the major issue Walling has addressed is challenging the status quo of unions running this town. Im really quite impressed that he took on 3 major unions at the same time. Of course the backlash from the unions has decimated his political career and we wont see someone challenge their power for a long time lest they forget what happened to Walling.

I had no idea thats what his political agenda was going to be, but I sure am intrigued as I see the almost instantaneous spin that the news took and how everyone bought it in lock step.

How many people truly believe that Walling doesn't want more cops on the streets? Now stop and think about how completely absurd that sounds and what you are implying - that a family man would choose to endanger himself, his children, and their family and friends. Because thats exactly what this line of reasoning concludes. Yet, thousands of people in our city actually think our Mayor would choose to have fewer cops on the streets all things being equal.

Flint politics is a bloody business. God help you if you challenge the status quo.
Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Cornbread-you forget that Walling said we did not need more police-we just needed to deploy them better. He is not trianed in specialized police tactics and neither is Locke. So what did anyone expect except the chaos we have.

Wednesday afternoon I have gunshots going off practically on my doorstep. Police told me my once stable neighborhood (before walling) is now getting bad.
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:25 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Did the police tell you that in person, or over the phone? If they actually came out on the call, I'm impressed.

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:13 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: