FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: TEA Party considering whether to fight veterans services TAX

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

GENESEE COUNTY -- When Hurley Medical Center's millage proposal crashed with voters a year ago, members of the Genesee TEA Party helped grease the skids and cause the wreckage.

But it's not clear whether the grass roots, anti-tax group will provide the muscle for another guerrilla-style campaign aimed at sinking a proposed new property tax -- this one to provide additional services for veterans.

"Right now I can't give you a solid answer," said Loren Bearup, president of the TEA group. "We may jump into it. We may not do anything."

The county Board of Commissioners voted on Aug. 17 to add the 0.15-mill question to the November ballot.

It would pay to expand services for veterans, particularly the number of service officers who process claims for veterans and the soldier relief fund that helps indigent veterans.

Several commissioners have said they worry about the fate of the proposal because it doesn't have a supporting organization behind it yet and because of the unsteady local economy and the resulting cautiousness of taxpayers.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/08/proposed_millage_for_veteran_s.html

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Veterans risk their lives and limb on behalf of our country and they are treated shabbily when they return. Far too many veterans are in the ranks of the homeless. The TEA party appears heartless at times.

If the area can pass all of the millages, even those less deserving than our veterans, then some organization should step up and help our veterans.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:03 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Veterans risk their lives and limb on behalf of our country and they are treated shabbily when they return. Far too many veterans are in the ranks of the homeless. The TEA party appears heartless at times.

If the area can pass all of the millages, even those less deserving than our veterans, then some organization should step up and help our veterans.

LOL. As a "Veteran", I am voting no and asking everyone I know to vote no as well. There is no need to have a Veterans Services Department at the county level.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

LOL. As a "Veteran", I am voting no and asking everyone I know to vote no as well. There is no need to have a Veterans Services Department at the county level.

The county already has a Veterans office on the second floor of the county administration building! I voted no on the school millage but it still passed .
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:14 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know there is a County Veterans Services Department!!!!!! I read the story!!!!

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:22 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: