FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: LAND BANK FLINT'S BIGGEST SLUM LORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Is The Genesee County Land Bank Flint's Worst Slum Lord?
Yes, they have bitten off more than they can chew
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
No, they are just trying to take over all the property in Flint.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
RECALL DAN KILDEE - Lets Clean Flint Up.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Both recent Mayors have had concerns over Witherbees Market and the conflicts of interest. In fact both mayors have been reluctant to sign off on the concept. Mr. Freeman is trying to cover his own ass on this one, I think someone needs to turn this over to the attorney general.
Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The store is supposed to open in February at 601 Ml King.

Just reviewed one of my files and saw that Leeanne Barkus was an Americorp with LISC (Michael Freeman) when the project was being developed.

The money for the project was leveraged through multiple sources; state federal, and private by LISC.

Yes, this is correct untanglingwebs.
Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I am unsure how a complaint can be made. Much of the money came from private sources. If Hud said no "conflict of interest" and the state did not see a problem, then what would the complaint be? Only if LISC had an issue and I don't see how they could not know.

Citizens have complained about what they perceive as issues, but you can't file a complaint on pubic opinion. Legislators made the laws and some laws were made to protect them (the legislators) and their families when they have some shady looking financial endeavors.

Gotta be someone right?
Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:42 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

He left before the shit hit the fan! Smart man that Dan Kildee
Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:24 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

I think it's funny that Dan Kildee wants others to maintain their properties when the organization he ran can't even mow the lawns.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:35 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Look into conflict of interests and special buyers who buy land bank properties. Lots of Dan's friends get property when others don't.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:35 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County Land Theft Bank has potential to confiscate 6,600 properties this year.

GENESEE COUNTY — A record number of owners are in danger of losing their homes. businesses and land to the county for failing to pay back taxes, including 19 properties worth at least $1 million.

The county will provide some of the last notices that those properties are sliding into foreclosure in an advertised notice in The Filnt Journal Jan. 21. Without a special exemption or paying off the 2007 taxes and penalties, the county is on schedule to foreclose on about 6,600 properties on March 31.

"I can only hope (this is the bottom)," said Jamie Curtis, chairman of the county Board of Commissioners. "The only way out of this is to put people back to work ... It's all about the jobs."

Tax foreclosure is a double-whammy for local government, leaving taxpayers to maintain property that's been abandoned and taking privately held parcels at least temporarily off the tax rolls.

The foreclosure numbers this year are shocking in scope — up 46 percent compared to last year at this same time. County Chief Deputy Treasurer Jill McKenzie said even last year's numbers were a record, putting this year's numbers off the charts.

A Flint Township apartment complex — Riverwood Luxury Apartments — is the most valuable property on the foreclosure list followed by Dutch Mill mobile home park in Genesee Township and a strip shopping center in Vienna Township.

A spokesman for Riverwood said the property owner would have no comment on plans for the complex that was developed by the Pace Companies just seven years ago.

The future is no clearer at Dutch Village, which faced foreclosure in 2009 as well and is being managed by a court-appointed receiver as the original property owner attempts to take title of the property back after having sold it.

"I don't know what's going to happen," said John Breza, the court-appointed receiver. "Because of how poorly it's been operated, I'm not sure (the original owner) can come in and write a big check (for taxes) again."

Property owners can appeal to the county treasurer for a deferment. Those extensions to pay can be granted to individuals who are living in and own their home or to businesses. Individuals can call (810) 257-3059 for an appointment to request a deferment.

With just about 10 weeks before properties are lost to the county, officials at the county Land Bank are waiting for what is likely to be a flood of new parcels to manage.

Although the majority of property owners who are delinquent in their tax bills at this time of year end up paying before March 31 rather than losing their properties, officials are nervous about this year because of continuing high unemployment and weakness in the local economy.

"That's more properties to maintain," said Doug Weiland, executive director of the county Land Bank. Increasingly, properties lost for back taxes aren't vacant land but are home to run-down houses, increasing the expense of keeping buildings secure until there is money for rehabilitation or demolition.

What's worse, Weiland said there are no signs that this will be the last year with so many potential foreclosures. In Flint alone, there are about 10,000 vacant homes, he said, most of which remain in private hands.

"My guess is about 6,000 of those properties have been abandoned, then people stop paying taxes," and the parcels end up in the county's hands, Weiland said.

The Flint Journal could not immediately reach many high-value property owners for comment this week. A man who identified himself as manager of Flushing Valley Country Club said the property at 1124 E. Main St., Flushing, has recently been sold with the seller agreeing to pay the taxes owed.

SPCP Group of Greenwich, Conn., has been listed in county and court records as the owner of the property previously.

In Grand Blanc Township, officials expect back taxes to be paid on a building once occupied by Twin Corp. at 10456 N. Holly Road. A township official said the Twin location is expected to be part of an expansion by Magna Electronics. That expansion was announced just last month.

Among the properties that were among the highest-value parcels on last year's foreclosure list, a few are back in the same position this year, including Dutch Village, a Vienna Township shopping center on West Vienna Road and 14261 Torrey Road, Fenton Township, which has been home to Premier Indoor Sports.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:37 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Dear Mr. Curtis, We haven't reached the bottom yet. Please work with the people who really need it to give them more time during these tough economic times.

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 pm 
theboyzmom
F L I N T O I D

I find it interesting that the land bank can not keep up properties, yet it is next to impossible to purchase one from them. All the "gardens" are rented to the area homeowners for a per year fee. Why not just sell them to them. When they are rented there is no taxes paid on them. Strange how the government can keep all these properties but yet beg for more taxes. I think until these properties are returned to productive use there should be NO new tax increases for anyone in Genesee county.
Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Very good point theboyzmom!

quote:
theboyzmom schreef:
I find it interesting that the land bank can not keep up properties, yet it is next to impossible to purchase one from them. All the "gardens" are rented to the area homeowners for a per year fee. Why not just sell them to them. When they are rented there is no taxes paid on them. Strange how the government can keep all these properties but yet beg for more taxes. I think until these properties are returned to productive use there should be NO new tax increases for anyone in Genesee county.

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:10 pm 
Flint Park
F L I N T O I D

It is very easy to buy a side lot. i am not sure why you are having trouble.
The Land Bank will sell houses to people who are going to live in them but will not sell houses to slumlords, and I am totally behind that.
Lots that are for gardens are being held for a larger purpose down the road, after all the taxes on vacant land is so low it really makes no difference.
What is it you are trying to buy?
I know the process is very easy.
Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:48 am 
theboyzmom
F L I N T O I D

I am personally not trying to buy anything. I just know that when both me and a media person asked for data on how many lots had been sold under the program, the Land Bank would not give any numbers. Seems to me if it is such a wonderful program they would be boasting about the numbers. also, if it is "such a small amount of taxes" on the garden lots, why did the former owners lose them? And when you are thinking of taking a loan out to pay bills, every dollar counts. And yet one more point, isn't the purchase price and the taxes much better than getting NOTHING but a $25 dollar rental fee????
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:00 pm 
Flint Park
F L I N T O I D

As I see it, for a few years after the land is sold the Land Bank nets the taxes and it reverts to the city, now i have seen the taxes on empty lots as low as 20cents a year, so $25 is a much larger amount, plus if this goes on for a number of years the Land bank will always net the 25 bucks. And the lots sell for $50.
As for people losing the land I would suspect there was a building on it when it was lost, but I am sure that some people do not even want to send a $2 check every year, so they let it go.
It seems to me that if the LB is amassing land it could be better used in a large parcel then selling disjointed lots willy nilly.
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:02 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

In the past the Land Bank has sold properties to friends over people they didn't like politically.

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Third Rail Politics with The Hippie Conservative 8-18-2010 Judy Zabik, candidate for Genesee County Treasurer and the Land Bank

http://www.flinttalkradio.com/?q=node/963

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: