FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: six Flint police should be back

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The feds won't pay for the South Side Task Force officers when the officers are not performing the tasks required under the grant. These officers have been routinely pulled to answer 911 calls, mostly in the north end.

Word is tht six officers are returning on Sunday, five to patrol the streets and Tanya Meeks to manage the mini stations. Wonder what that does for girl wonder Roda mathews , who has been trying to teach police volunteers?
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:56 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

So,where does the money to pay these 6 come from?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Feds told city they would not pay for the six already working. Grant required Flint to recall six. We have serious overtime because there are not enough officers.

Flint should do what other communities do and not have police respond to non essentaial calls and provide an alternate method of making police reports.
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

After Layoffs, Oakland Police Won’t Take Nonviolent Reports In Person
Saturday, July 17th, 2010 5:06 pm
The layoffs of 80 Oakland police officers last week to help eliminate a $30.5 million budget deficit, prompted the department to announce that officers would no longer be dispatched to take reports for most nonviolent crimes, reports the San Franciso Chronicle. “With current levels of staffing, we are unable to respond to many lower-priority calls,” said Officer Jeff Thomason, a spokesman. Oakland residents must file certain crime reports online or visit a police station. Those without a computer can ask that a blank form be mailed to them or pick one up at a library. Residents can still call 911 to report emergencies and crimes such as shootings, robberies, rapes, and assaults.

No matter how crimes are reported, police said the department still wants to hear about them – even if the layoffs mean that no one will investigate if a suspect can’t be identified or is long gone.”You can still call the Oakland Police Department and say, ‘I need a report.’ We’ll always direct you to the right place,” Thomason said. “We’re never going to hang up on someone and say, ‘We don’t do that anymore.’ ” Crime analysts will use the reports to discern patterns, said Lt. Jim Meeks, who oversees investigations of property crimes and theft. Over the past two years, residents could go to oaklandpolice.com and report lost property, theft, vandalism, vehicle burglary and vehicle tampering. In the past, people could ask for an officer to come take a report. That will no longer be the case. By Aug. 2, police intend to expand the online system – called Coplogic – so residents can report seven other types of crimes, including residential burglaries in which the suspects aren’t known.

Link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/17/MN6R1EFHC0.DTL&type=newsbayarea
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:03 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Burglary is Not a Non-Violent Crime: In Oakland, It Isn’t Even a Crime
Posted on July 27th, 2010 Tina No comments
Well, OK, that’s not exactly true. But in July, Oakland police announced that, due to budget problems, police will no longer respond to a long list of crimes, including residential burglary where the home invaders are unknown.

I’m sure it didn’t help that the city had to spend so much money responding to the recent liberation of sports shoes and consumer electronics in the name of Oscar Grant.

Shoe Locker Looter Wearing an Oscar Grant Mask

That’s a lot of money that could be spent on doing things like protecting people’s property, going instead to prevent protesters from destroying even more Mom and Pop franchises and delis and phone kiosks and other symbols of oppression.

Maybe there should be an enhanced penalty for premeditated rioting.

Meanwhile, want to train to become a burglar? Move to Oakland. Though I don’t recommend living there, because home insurance rates are about to shoot up. For everyone, of course, not just burglars and looters. Funny how that works.

I spent way too much time yesterday fruitlessly searching for a comment I’d seen on a police blog, one that perfectly sums up the dangers of lowering the bar on criminal behavior this way. The commenter, a cop himself, was writing about the war on cops. He pointed out that virtually every cop killer has repeatedly cycled through the court system, learning along the way that he could get away with practically anything.

Even more troubling, the widespread belief that so-called non-violent crimes like drug trafficking and residential burglary don’t merit prison terms is creating a generation of criminals who not only have no fear of consequences but actually feel entitled to commit crimes. Whenever they find naive people to support them in their belief in these “rights,” they also feel more entitled to direct their resentment and rage at symbols of law enforcement, namely cops.

We should not underestimate the perniciousness of reinforcing the notion that it is “unjust” to punish people for things like breaking into other people’s houses.

Oakland has actually codified that mindset.

These trends are especially dangerous for women. Back when Georgia was implementing its DNA database by collecting DNA from all felons, not just sex offenders, something really shocking showed up in the first few hundred “hits” (where a felon’s sample matched previously unsolved crimes). Many men who only had prior records for burglary or drugs or aggravated assault were identified as rapists in stranger rapes that had gone unsolved.

That begs a few questions, questions which, sadly, law professors and criminologists are utterly disinterested in asking. Too bad, because they’re extremely relevant in the ongoing debate about prosecuting or not prosecuting certain crimes and how we choose to spend our shrinking justice budgets.

For example, how many of these men were previously caught committing rapes but were granted non-sex offense pleas by money-conscious prosecutors who didn’t think they could get rape charges to stick? In one of his several trips to prison, my own rapist got more time for resisting arrest and B&E than for sexually assaulting another victim — more time for breaking into a window than a woman’s body — thanks to one such money-saving plea. I’ve got a file cabinet stuffed with other examples of serial rapists — and serial killers — given multiple chances to rape and kill, thanks to routine, money-saving courtroom shortcuts.

They don’t call them “bargains” for nothing. These types of offenders also now have enhanced abilities to do pre-assault dry runs in Oakland and other places that are ratcheting back law enforcement.

Now, with less enforcement of these lesser crimes, more serious offenders stand to get away with even higher quantities of violent crime. A sex offender operating in Oakland can rest confident knowing that the police won’t be showing up to investigate his fishing expeditions. Does anybody believe the that the tiny fraction of burglars who end up in a courtroom in Oakland won’t benefit from the downgrading of this crime?

And what is happening in Oakland is the future for everyone, the logical consequence of decades of pricing justice out of reach — for us non-offenders, that is. We spend so much on largely useless “rehabilitation” and frivolous appeals that there is no money left to actually enforce the law. This is how violent recidivists are made, and how cops get killed, and why the rest of us are forced to spend more and more of our money insuring our lives and looking over our shoulders.

In the 1990’s, elected officials were able to turn New York City around by doing precisely the opposite of what Oakland is doing today. Expect opposite results, as well.
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Report a Crime
For a crime in progress, DIAL 911 NOW
The Citizen Reporting System (CRS) is designed to make it easier and more convenient for you to file a police report without leaving home; however, not every crime can be reported using the Citizen Reporting System.

What crimes DO qualify for CRS?
What crimes DO NOT qualify for CRS?
Why can’t I use on-line reporting for all crimes?
Can I use CRS to report a hit and run crash?
How long will it take to process my report?
Can I get a copy of the report?
Can I report a crime that occurred outside Fairfax County?
What is the purpose of filing a report with CRS?
If I know who committed the crime, can I still use CRS?
What if my incident does not qualify for CRS?
Are there specific computer requirements to use the CRS?

File a Police Report Now

What crimes DO qualify for CRS?
Please use the on-line reporting service for the following crimes:

Alcohol Violations
Check and/or Credit Card Case
Civil Disputes
Destruction of Property
Disorderly Conduct
Graffiti
Identity Theft
Larceny up to $5000
Loitering
Lost Property
Noise Violations
Police Service
Prescription Fraud/Forgery
Reckless Driving
Solicitor Violations
Speeding
Suspicious Events/Persons/Vehicles
Trespassing
Telephone Harassment
Telephone Threats
Vehicle Tampering
Vehicle Trespass

What crimes can only be reported in person?
CRS is NOT appropriate for the following crimes:

Incidents occurring within past 30 minutes
Violent crimes, completed or attempted
Sex crimes, completed or attempted
Theft or loss of a firearm
Stolen vehicles, completed or attempted
Stolen license plate
Breaking and entering your home or business, completed or attempted
Crimes committed due to race, religion, ethnic or national origin, disability and/or sexual orientation
Aggressive driving
Why can’t I use on-line reporting for all crimes?
Some crimes may require evidence collection, photography, or other investigative procedure which require an officer to respond to the scene of the crime.

Can I use CRS to report a hit and run crash?
If the hit and run crash involves injuries, call 911
If no injuries, call police non emergency number, 703-691-2131
Call taker will determine whether your report can be taken by CRS
How long will it take to process my report?
Normally, within 72 hours

Can I get a copy of the report?
Actual police reports are not released since they may contain information critical to an investigation or which could be used for identity theft. A verification letter regarding your report may be obtained by calling the Fairfax County Police Department Central Records Section at 703-246-2272.

Can I report a crime that happened outside Fairfax County?
No, your crime or incident must have occurred in Fairfax County. If the incident happened outside Fairfax County, file a report in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred.

What is the purpose of filing a report with CRS?
Primarily for insurance and police information purposes
Case will not be investigated
Assists in preventing future crimes by providing statistics on trends, locations and times of violations.
May assist in the identification and return of stolen property recovered as the result of other investigations.
If I know who committed the crime, can I still use CRS?
Only if you do not pursue criminal prosecution through the courts

What if my incident does not qualify for CRS?
If your incident isn’t eligible for online reporting or if you would like to speak directly to an officer, call the Fairfax County Police Department’s non-emergency number, 703- 691-2131. You may also go to any one of our eight Fairfax County Police - District Stations and report the incident in person.

Are there specific computer requirements to use CRS?
You must use Internet Explorer web browser with cookies enabled to access this site. Certain user information is recorded in order to aid in the prosecution of false police reports. For more information, please read our privacy statement

File a Police Report Now

Be advised that it is a crime to make a false police report. Anyone found to have submitted a false police report will be prosecuted under the authority of Virginia State Code, Section 18.2-461, which shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. Maximum possible penalty is one year in jail and/or $2,500 fine.

If your incident qualifies for an online report and you wish to continue,
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Marysville police crime reports go online
Comments 3
June 07, 2010 11:33:00 PM
By Nancy Pasternack/Appeal-Democrat
With the city facing a $700,000 budget deficit and public safety jobs facing the ax, Marysville has turned to an online tool for taking crime reports from its residents.

Nonemergency dispatch calls now are gently shepherded to the caller's home computer — or to one set up in the Marysville Police Department lobby — for reports of nonviolent crimes such as identity theft, lost or stolen property or vehicle burglary.

The online reporting system made by Coplogic, Inc., "is always on duty," said Sgt. John Osbourn, who acquired the software at a cost of $23,000 over two years, through a federal public safety grant.

Crime victims and citizen tipsters can call up the city's Web site on the Internet, click on the Police Reports Online option, and type in the necessary details.

"It saves man hours, which is important to be able to do in these times," Osbourn said. "And it's treated just like I wrote that report myself."

Marysville police have been directing a limited number of callers to use the system on a limited basis for the past three months, he said.

Osbourn said that in May, the department reviewed 29 incidents reported through the Online system and concluded that it had saved about 21 hours of work for police.

Last week, the Marysville City Council approved a two-year contractual agreement with Coplogic.

Osbourn said the program is more convenient for users than having to wait for a police officer to respond, and that the follow-up process is simpler.

Trends can be tracked more quickly when the information is fed directly into a database, according to an article in Law Enforcement Technology, and multiple language options make it simpler for non-English speakers to report crimes.

Similar systems have been employed by the San Francisco Police Department, Sacramento Police Department, and in smaller cities like Milpitas.

Incident types for which the online reporting system applies are: Harassing phone calls, identity theft, lost property, theft, vandalism, vehicle burglary and vehicle tampering.

www.marysville.ca.us/coplogic/start-report.html

If you answer yes to all five of the following questions, you can report an incident to the Marysville Police Department by way of the department’s new Online reporting system:
This is not an Emergency?
This incident occurred within the Marysville, California City limits?
Click here for the city map. If this incident did not occur within the red lines of the map, please visit the Sheriff's Office Website.
There are no known suspects or you were asked by the Marysville Police Department to file this incident online?
This did not occur on a State Freeway?

– from the Marysville Police Department Web page

CONTACT Appeal-Democrat reporter Nancy Pasternack at 749-4712 or at npasternack@appealdemocrat.com
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

Same procedure in Saginaw minus the online portion. Flint would be wise to implement something similar. Greatly reduces call volume allowing officers to be available for in progress calls.

Numerous other ways to streamline patrol ops, but these suggestions never seemed to be entertained by the brass.
Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:00 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: