FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Are Flint police being sabotoged?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

"Detectives finding a fingerprint on a spent bullet casing? Which produced a suspect? This type of forensic work takes weeks -- and in Detroit months -- to complete. In my 10 years in homicide, I had only one fingerprint on a casing come back from the (state) crime lab. It took eight months to get it."

source The Detroit News

8 months to get a fingerprint back! Did they not even do the other fingerprints? This could mean killers in Flint and Detroit have 8 months extra to roam the streets and kill some more!!! The detective kind of alludes that normally the state doesn't even bother with evidence such as fingerprints.
Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I believe Detroit had their own crime lab, but it fell into disgrace because of poor evidence handling. And yes smaller jurisdictions are at the mercy of the State Police crime labs that are over loaded with work.

In Flint I don't believe they fingerprint everyday crimes like B & E's. We need an alternate method of reporting non violent crimes to free up the officers so they can deal with serious crime an crime prevention. What good is it to require an officer to come to a B & E up to 17 hours after the crime is committed. All the resident needs is a police number for their insurance.

I know a guy who tried to hang tough in his east side home because he knew he couldn't sell it for much. For years he remained safe until about 2 years ago, After 2 robberies the police warned him that since the robbers had taken pretty much everything he owned that he needed to be careful. What he had left was a steady job and he could be the next target. After the police left a junkie neighbor came to his house and threatened to kill him if hr told the police the junkie was the thief. He moved to Davison within 48 hrs and rented the house to a welfare mom.

When the police are tied up trying to respond to 911 calls that are stone cold and sometimes many hours old, they can't be available to solve crimes. Detectives are swamped and understaffed . They don't hava much, if any, clerical help. There is no one available to analyze crime data. The economy has made this a national problem as police are being cut in numerous communities.
Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:40 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Some of the pains taking work in finding fingerprint matches has been eliminated in the last few years by modern technology.I understand that there is a system called IAFIS or Integrated Automatic Fingerprint Identification Search that does in minutes what used to take weeks .
Still finding a usable print on a shell casing is pretty iffy.
Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yeah but not difficult when the criminal has left his dirty print embedded in the paint on a window sill. But they still won't take them. Or on the window or door of a house that was just stripped. If we'd just start fighting the smaller easy to prove crimes like home evasion and house stripping other crimes would go down.
Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: