FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: council misappropriating money?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The lawsuit settlement from Comcast specifically stated the money was to be used for the creation of a studio for Flint Comcast video productions. Now I understand the money was used for other purposes. Can council reallocate lawsuit monies for purposes unrelated to both the lawsuit and the settlement.

PDF] City of Flint, Michigan
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
the opportunity to bring an amended resolution to Council. Settlement/City of Flint v. Comcast of Flint, Inc./United States District Court No. 2:08cv14871 ...
www.cityofflint.com/clerk/agendas/2009/SAAgenda101209.pdf
Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:07 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

what purpose?

Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

According to the first resolution the money was to go to the city of Flint in order to build a studio to replace the one lost when Comcast moved everything to Southfield.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:41 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Sadly, there's no Telecommunications commission. No one to follow through on behalf of Flint Comcast customers when Comcast nickle and dimes the customers, like charging for counter service at the local store, or charging a monthly fee to analog customers for a box to convert to digital when they were not supposed to do so (after after upping the monthly rates for minimum basic service again). Or as a poor service example today, on Channel 17 there was terrible handling of the city council meeting. Too long between DVD changes, then on the last one I watched the audio was not of the meeting but rather classical music. What a waste!
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:58 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I wanna know why we can't choose from Charter or Comcast?

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

We had an opportunity several years ago to have WOW (Wide Open West), a service provider from the southern Michigan region. They had a request to enter into a franchise agreement with the area. Scott Kincaid led the charge against their request as the Comcast contract was up for renewal and he wanted the up front fee they proposed to attempt to keep us out of state control.

The state has taken over now and Flint will have no local control and all franchise fees would go to the state. Nor have we seen any rush to offer services under the state program that promised lower prices and more competition.

Thequestion is: How can a settlement givrn for a specific purpose be diverted for another use?
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:01 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Thequestion is: How can a settlement givrn for a specific purpose be diverted for another use?
Because politicians do what they want to do, just as tobacco settlement funds are being used for purposes other than the settlement intended.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: