FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: More cuts to public safety on tap

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Word has been out for some time that overspending was occurring. Even Councilmen Kincaid and Freeman have warned about cost overruns, some in DCED.
Walling stated 50 fewer positions would exist soon. Wonder if any will be cut in his office?

FLINT (WJRT) -- (10/14/10)--First-quarter numbers are in on Flint's budget and the numbers are more dire than city officials had expected.

They're so severe, in fact, that it's believed Flint could run out of cash to make its payroll this spring if changes aren't made within the next few months.

The folks at City Hall are being forced to take a serious look at the finances because of a deficit that has been mounting for two years and what's coming up this year.

The state has told the city it won't consider helping with some $20 million fiscal stabilization bond until Flint can prove it has stopped bleeding money and has enough extra to pay off the bond.

But first-quarter numbers show that the city is still bleeding money severely -- so severely, in fact, that if spending continues at this pace for the rest of the year, estimates are the city could be $4 million to $5 million in further deficit, and could even deplete its cash reserves.

If nothing changes drastically, rapidly, by the end of May the city will not have enough money to make payroll," said Councilman Scott Kincaid.

"I would not be surprised to hear cuts. I expect it. I expect the administration to get a handle on the finances of the Flint, or the state will."

Kincaid says the mayor could suggest an increase in income tax or some kind of milliage increase like a police millage to raise revenues.

But those concepts take time and couldn't raise enough money quickly enough to help.

Kincaid says he wouldn't be surprised if the mayor eliminates 25 to 35 positions, including public safety.

The mayor says the numbers could be even higher than that.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Maybe we'll have a parks & rec director with no one to direct, a police chief with no officers, etc.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: