FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Full-alert crime advisory; Undercover camera fighting crime

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint city councilmen declare Full-Alert Crime Advisory
by Jessica Harthorn
Posted: 11.19.2010 at 12:26 AM

FLINT -- In response to possible upcoming police layoffs, two city council members have issued a crime advisory for Flint's 6th and 8th wards.

Council members say its imperative residents take precautions to protect themselves, especially after the rash of crime that's recently hit their neighborhoods.

"I don't like this neighborhood anymore, I want to move, it scares me," said Flint resident, Debra Howicz

In a year and a half, this home on Flint's west side has been broken into twice.

Debra Howicz lives there with City Councilman Michael Sarginson.

"And not only did they get my house, they got every house on this side of the street," said Flint City Councilman Michael Sarginson.

But Flint's 8th ward isn't the only area of the city targeted by criminals.

Councilman Sheldon Neeley says residents in the 6th ward are victims too.

Council members say it was time to do something after they received numerous complaints from residents about the influx of crime in their neighborhoods.

Friday, both councilmen issued a Full-Alert Crime Advisory for their wards, encouraging residents to protect themselves during the holidays.

"Making sure your doors are locked, be aware of your surroundings, don't go out without somebody with you, go to the store in pairs," said Councilman Neeley.

"Don't be naïve, they are out there looking for you, and the older people especially," said Councilman Sarginson.

The crime advisory is in response to Mayor Dayne Walling's proposal to layoff 20 Flint police officers if the police union does not agree to wage and benefit concessions.

The cuts would help balance the city's five million dollar budget deficit.

But Councilman Neeley says public safety should be the mayor's top priority.

"Without the public, who are you balancing the budget for?" said Councilman Neeley.

Howicz couldn't agree more. She's making sure her windows and doors are locked tight tonight, so she doesn't become a victim again.

Saturday at six, NBC25 will have the exclusive story on how Councilman Neeley is using an undercover method to fight crime without using police or taxpayer dollars.

Councilman Neeley says in 20 years, violent crime in his ward has doubled.
---
Source: http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/story.aspx?id=543860

NBC25 Exclusive: Undercover camera fighting crime in Flint
by Jessica Harthorn
Posted: 11.20.2010 at 4:48 PM

FLINT -- The Flint Police Department is bracing for 20 possible layoffs if the police union doesn't agree to the mayor's concessions.

Meantime, two city councilmen issue a Full-Alert Crime Advisory for their wards.

NBC25 was given an exclusive interview with City Councilman Sheldon Neeley on how he's using new undercover technology to fight crime.

It’s being called the eye in the sky, and it will soon fight crime in Flint without taxpayer dollars.

“It's a proactive approach to help stopping crime, before it starts,” said Pastor Jeffery Hawkins of Prince of Peace Baptist Church in Flint.

It’s called the vid-safe camera, state-of-the-art technology that watches for suspicious activity, and it lives in this closet at Prince of Peace Baptist Church.

“So that we can really help each other watch out for each other,” said Pastor Hawkins.

Pastor Jeffrey Hawkins says his church is home base for the project because of his own experience with violent crime.

“I had a son that was killed on the corner of Saginaw and Elmer, and then this past August, my other son, which was 26, was shot on Wolcott,” said Pastor Hawkins.

Now Pastor Hawkins is working with Councilman Sheldon Nelley through a public/private partnership to fight crime.

“With the reduction of public safety officers, through technology we can still have the same affect on our community,” said Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley.

The vid-safe camera can be outfitted with a heat sensor to zoom in on a moving target or to the sound of a gun shot. It snaps a photo, records evidence, and can be accessed by police through the internet.

“They probably can shoot up to a mile and get the color of a person’s eye,” said Councilman Neeley.

“Can you see the clarity of my face? Right now I’m located about 200 yards from where the camera even is, at a party store right across the street, that's the accuracy of the vid-safe camera,” said NBC25 Reporter Jessica Harthorn.

The vid-safe camera will be fully operational the first week of December.

Councilman Neeley hopes a 100 more of them will be installed at crime hot spots around the city.

The vid-safe camera was paid for by a $2,800 Weed and Seed grant.
---
Source: http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/story.aspx?id=543960
Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

They left out get a CPL.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: