FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: City of Hamtramck, Michigan Seeks Bankruptcy

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

City of Hamtramck, Michigan Seeks Bankruptcy

The city of Hamtramck, desperate for cash, has asked the state for permission to take an unprecedented step: filing for bankruptcy.

City Manager Bill Cooper said the city of roughly 20,000 people is staring at a $3 million deficit, fueled by a dispute with Detroit. Unless Hamtramck files for bankruptcy, it won't be able to pay its nearly 100 employees or 153 retirees, he said.
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/11/city-of-hamtramck-michigan-seeks.html

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Wasn't that already turned down by the State?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is Dated the 19th:

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. — An attorney for the City of Hamtramck has sent a letter to Gov. Jennifer Granholm, requesting that she grant the Detroit enclave's bankruptcy request.

The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press say the letter James Allen sent Thursday also urges Granholm against appointing an emergency financial manager.

Hamtramck seeks protection from creditors and would use bankruptcy to move city unions to consider concessions. City officials say the city faces a $3 million deficit and could run out of money on Jan. 31, 2011.

Granholm says bankruptcy "is not a good option." She said the state has previously appointed emergency financial managers to help struggling cities make politically unpopular but financially prudent decisions.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-bankruptcy-hamtra,0,5761673.story

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

This Dated the 18th

Hamtramck can avoid bankruptcy with loan options, state says

tate treasury officials gave the City of Hamtramck three loan options Wednesday that they say could help the city avoid bankruptcy and eliminate its $3-million deficit, and Gov. Jennifer Granholm expressed optimism that the crisis will be solved.

Read more: Hamtramck can avoid bankruptcy with loan options, state says | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101118/NEWS02/11180542/Hamtramck-can-avoid-bankruptcy-with-loan-options-state-says#ixzz164YOORVG

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:27 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: