FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling: "improper decision made by the chain of comman

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

On Channel 12 news it was reported that officers could have covered this race, being paid overtime, and that organizers of the race would have paid for it. If Walling can't control his "chain of command" (among other things) how can he expect to be re-elected mayor? If Flint doesn't have enough officers to cover a race like this, what in the world are they going to do when it comes to the Crim Race in August, and Back to the Bricks? Would be a great loss if Flint loses those functions due to "improper decision made by the chain of command." Should somebody's head roll?
---

Flint Mayor Walling says it was a mistake that organizers were told the New Year's Eve race could not be held in Flint
Published: Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 3:48 PM Updated: Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 3:48 PM
By Sarah Schuch | The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Organizers were informed Monday morning that the New Year's Eve Resolution 8K race could not be held in downtown Flint because of the lack of manpower at the Flint Police Department.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said the message should have never been relayed to the organizers of the event.

"This is a regrettable mistake for which I apologize," Walling said. "The decision was made by a breakdown in the Flint Department's chain of command.

"This was not an issue of staff availability. It was improper decision made by the chain of command."

Walling said he hopes the event will return to downtown Flint next year and in future years.

Ultimately, the race could have still been held in Flint. Unfortunately organizers already made other plans for it to take place in Flushing at 2:30 p.m. on Friday.

Race participants can meet at Flushing High School, 5039 Deland Road.

© 2010 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
---
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/12/flint_mayor_walling_says_it_wa.html
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:38 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Many people are very upset over this and numerous meetings have been held because of this mistake. People that are trying to put on the race that are Walling supporters are shaking their heads in disbelief.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

He probably would have put every officer in the city on the race & left none on patrol or at the station.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

A huge loss for the City of Flint and it's business owners downtown.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I've talked to many different officers at all levels. For years there has been a break down of the Chain of Command in Flint's Police Department. While I like and support Walling. Not one Mayor in my lifetime has ever really seriously attempted to resolve this problem. And until they do. NOTHING is going to change.

Unfortunately the Majority of people (voters) in Flint don't have a clue how important it is. So discussing it is a waste of time. I've seen the problem for years. How it affect moral. How it affect discipline or the lack there of. But we keep hiring people that have never been in the military or have a clue what real leadership is. But they can read silly books and think they know.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling needs to hire a chief that can run the department and he needs to quit trying to micromanage the police department. The reality must be setting in as last night Walling finally addressed the issue of more public safety,
Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:36 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

untanglingwebs Where where you when Williamson was micro managing the Police dept?
Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ted-Out of the loop!
Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:48 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: