FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: walling may close 2 fire stations

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Demotion notices sent to some Flint firefightersUpdated at 05:19 PM today
Tags:jobs, fire department, firefighters, flint, local, angela brown
Comment Now Email Print Report a typo
Angela Brown
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (01/07/10) -- More changes are coming to the Flint Fire Department.

When asked if he would accept a demotion, Garcia said he would "if it would mean keeping someone here, I would."

Garcia has been a firefighter for 15 years. As president of the union, he is involved with contract talks with the city.

These changes come after Flint firefighters voted down a tentative agreement last year.

Garcia says the union took another proposal to the city in mid-December. Earlier this week, he was told that proposal fell short of the double-digit concessions the city wants.

Notices were sent out to 21 firefighters ranging in rank from captain to second driver.

Garcia believes the city may be using that deadline in an effort to reorganize the department.

"I anticipate what happens they are trying to close to two stations. I am hoping that these are demotions rather than layoffs, but I do not know."

The city did confirm that no firefighters are being laid off, but some will be demoted.

(Copyright ©2011 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint firefighters reject contract concessions, police sent layoff notices
Steve Carmody (2010-12-01)
FLINT, MI (Michigan Radio) -

A contract dispute between Flint's mayor and the city's public safety unions escalated Tuesday.

Tuesday, the city of Flint sent layoff notices to 20 police officers. The city and the police unions have not been able to agree on major contract concessions to help reduce a projected budget deficit.

Also on Tuesday, Flint firefighters rejected a proposal to slash their current contract by nearly 10 percent. Union president Raul Garcia says Flint firefighters were upset that agreeing the concessions would not protect them from future layoffs.

"The biggest complaint I hear from the membership is if they are not willing to make a gurantee than why are we even doing this," Garcia says.

Flint mayor Dayne Walling says the city couldn?t take layoffs off the table with the firefighters. He says now the city will have to look at other parts of the fire department budget.

"We're looking at scenarios, ways to save money at our fire stations," says Walling.

80 non-public safety city workers have received layoff notices. Walling says more spending cuts may be needed, if public safety employees don?t agree to concessions. © Copyright 2011, Michigan Radio
Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am told there was a story on WJRT tv 12 where Eason said stations 5 and 8 would be closed. The story is not on line and is not on Channel 5 or 25. Makes you wonder if either 5 or 25 is even interested in Flint.

Checked Flint web site and 5 is our newest station on Western Road, in the area of 30% of all of last years arsons. This station was built because the train cuts off that segment of the city at times. There is no other station close to here.

Station 8 is on Atherton Road and Red Arrow and is either Kincaid's or Sarginson's ward. This certainly won't protect the new investments in the Technology Center.

The greatest population loss is in the north side of Flint and yet no north end stations will be closed. Either more of Eason's (in my opinion) racist attitude or he and Walling are depending on the north end to carry them in the next election.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:49 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I find it interesting that while channel 5 has a large presence in downtown Flint, the majority of the news I see them cover is outside the city.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

No movement yet on fire station 'brownout' planWednesday, January 12, 2011

Lori Dougovito
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (01/12/11) -- Facing nearly two dozen demotions, the head of the Flint Firefighters Union is suggesting something unique to keep staffing levels up, overtime costs down and stations open.

The idea is a "brownout," closing a fire station daily on a rotating basis instead of shuttering one or two of the current five fire stations completely.

But how much money could it save and would Mayor Dayne Walling consider the plan?

"I haven't see it. I don't know," Walling said. "That proposal has not been presented to me."

"We e-mailed a copy to the chief, human resources, and we never get any responses. So I thought it was time to bring it to the public so they know we're making an honest effort to help try to reduce this deficit," said Flint Firefighters Union President Raul Garcia.

Garcia pitched the plan during public comment at Monday's City Council meeting.

"It closes the fire station for the day and allows the extra firefighters to travel to another station. This way you still have all the fire trucks available to respond," he said. "It basically helps eliminate overtime."

Garcia says this plan triples the estimated savings of shutting two fire stations, while keeping everything in compliance with the SAFER grant awarded last spring to rehire laid-off firefighters.

Garcia said the city could save a half-million dollars a year under his plan. "It helps the city save $500,000 as opposed to them only saving $78,000."

"The city continues to wonder why we don't have their 10 percent concessions, but every time we try to take a step in that direction, they always make changes," Garcia said.

"In some cases, some parties present proposals because they're opposites," Walling said. "It's part of the back and forth when certain leaders don't want to be cooperative."

Walling says the city is currently working through an analysis of calls and response times per station.

Firefighters recently voted down a concession agreement.

Garcia says he submitted a new proposal a couple of weeks ago and is still waiting for the city to get back to him about it.

(Copyright ©2011 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Walling always claims not to have seen every proposal the unions make!
Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Why not put fireman on 8 hour days???
Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
"We e-mailed a copy to the chief, human resources, and we never get any responses. So I thought it was time to bring it to the public so they know we're making an honest effort to help try to reduce this deficit," said Flint Firefighters Union President Raul Garcia.
Has it occurred to anyone that the chief, and human resources (Donna Poplar?) may not know how to use email? A number of city council members don't.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:59 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Has it occurred to anyone that the chief, and human resources (Donna Poplar?) may not know how to use email? A number of city council members don't.

That would not be a valid excuse as secretaries often manage their bosses e-mail and print it out for them.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling looking at fire statistics to decide which two stations to shut down

Mayor Dayne Walling is in the process of choosing two fire stations to shut down in an effort to address budget challenges, he said at a neighborhood association meeting today.

Walling said he's analyzing statistics at three stations, with the intention of shutting down two.

"I'm looking over the number of fires allocated to each station and the response times," Walling said.

He said he is looking at stations 5, 3 and 8. Station five is on Western Road on the east side. Station 3 is on Martin Luther King Boulevard near Welch Boulevard. Station 8 is on E. Atherton Road on the city's south side.

He said over $500,000 of the city's projected deficit comes from the fire department.

"It's not pretty, but that's where it stands," Walling said.

The city is in the process of demoting about 20 firefighters in another cost-saving measure.

Walling made the comments during a Potter Longway Neighborhood Association about public safety at Eastwood United Methodist Church.

Nearly all in a crowd of about 50 raised they're hands when Walling asked how many wanted station 5 to be the one to remain open.

"With all the arsons now, I just find it hard to believe that they would do it," said east side resident John Bednarski about closing the fire stations. "That would place more burden on the other stations. I don't know what they could do if they can't afford it. It's a tough decision. I'm glad I don't have to make it."

Walling also spoke to the crowd about two public safety millage proposals to be reviewed by City Council on Wednesday.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:35 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: