FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Fire Station #8 on Atherton rd. may be slated to close

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint fire station to close, firefighters face demotions
Flint residents uneasy with more fire cuts

FLINT (WJRT) -- (02/14/11) -- As Flint's budget troubles continue, word came down this morning that a fire station will close and firefighters face demotions.

Demotions have been looming for months, but now they appear to be a certainty.

According to the Flint Firefighters Union President Raul Garcia, it is expected that Fire Station 8 on the city's south side to close and 10 firefighters to be demoted.

Firefighters received the notice this morning. It will take effect Mar. 5.

The notice did not specifically list a fire station closure, but Garcia says all indications point to Station 8.

Last month, Mayor Dayne Walling announced about 20 firefighters will be demoted and at least one station could close. Shortly after the announcement, Walling agreed to postpone the demotions.

The union had hoped that the mayor would consider a brown out proposal where one fire station would close daily, allowing the city to assign that station's staff to other firehouses.

"We had a brief meeting and explained to him, basically, what the brown out was about. And we thought everything was OK, and we've made efforts to continue negotiations of which the city has never responded," Garcia said.

Garcia says they do plan to continue negotiations. Another meeting has been scheduled with the city Tuesday morning.

Follow us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

(Copyright ©2011 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint firefighters fear a station may close
by Dave Kinchen
Posted: 02.14.2011 at 11:51 PM
savesendprint
Dave Kinchen
Dave joined NBC25 in Sept. 2007. He enjoys reporting on political and business issues.

FLINT -- Mayor Dayne Walling refused to comment on claims by the Flint Firefighters union that a fire station would be closing, following the scheduled demotion of ten firefighters effective March 5th. “What ten demotions means to me is that they were probably going to close one of the fire stations,” union president Raul Garcia told city council members at a meeting Monday night.

Mayor Walling said he was not commenting on the matter and NBC25 was unable to obtain specific information from City Administrator Gregory Eason. “I can say right now there are some discussions centered around some budget cuts and personnel changes that have to be made,” Eason said, but would not elaborate.

Walling and Garcia are scheduled to meet on Tuesday about the issue. Garcia said his department has a “brownout” plan designed to prevent station closures by arranging staffing at specific yet minimum levels, allowing the city to trim costs. Walling has said the fire department is over budget by roughly $500,000. It’s not clear if he supports the union’s plan.

savesendprint | | more
Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them; they are not reflective of the views or opinions of Barrington Broadcasting, NBC25, its directors or employees. If you believe a comment violates the Barrington Terms of Use, please flag it below.
Post a comment 1 Comments
law said: Today at 2:39 AM
we need to recall the mayor and his group. he is no good . how do we run a city with out the most important crew???? the police dept, the fire dept, and rescue??? no mr. walling won't comment, because hes wrong for all these dept.closings. shame on you dan walling. dan dan hes not our man because he can't do it but somebody elese can.
Reply | Report Abuse
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Property owners only blocks away from the main fire station fear the closure of station 8, which serves wards 7,8 and 9. They cite instances in which fires in their neighborhood could not be addressed as both the main station and #8 were out fighting another fire. They had to get a rig from Western road and it took a long time.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:36 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Notice the only station NOT slated to be closed is the one closest to area where Da Mayor lives?
Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The fire station slated to close is in the area that serves 2 council members that are not always resonsive to everything the Mayor and Eason say.
Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:45 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The fire station slated to close is in the area that serves 2 council members that are not always resonsive to everything the Mayor and Eason say.

Webs, as usual , I see you have done your homework . I figured something like that was going on. Does Walling expect to get re-elected with this sort of track record? Yet, as much as I don't like Walling, none of the council people really impress me either.
Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint residents want answers on possible fire station closing
by Dave Kinchen
Posted: 02.16.2011 at 6:40 PM
savesendprint
Dave Kinchen
Dave joined NBC25 in Sept. 2007. He enjoys reporting on political and business issues.

read more »
Friend Dave Follow Dave Contact Dave Dave's feed 00|moreA look at Flint Fire Station #8 on Atherton on the city's south side. / Chad Britton

Photo: 1 of 3 More slideshows »Read more: Local, Fire Department, Station Closure, Public Safety, Response Times, Mayor Dayne Walling, Emergency Management, First Responders

FLINT -- Residents on Flint’s south side are worried about the possible closing of Fire Station #8, on Atherton Road. The station is adjacent to Red Arrow Street populated with many homes, and a nearby apartment complex.

“Their presence here makes me feel a little bit more comfortable and safe,” said Amy Hannigan who lives a stone’s throw away from the station. NBC25 obtained a copy of a memo from Flint Human Resources and Labor Relations Coordinator Susan Muma sent to Public Safety Chief Alvern Lock and Firefighters Union officials.

“Due to the closing of Station #8 there will be personnel changes in your department,” the memo read. “Bumping notices will be sent out by the Human Resource Department prior to the effective day of the station closing, March 5, 2001” it continued .

However, Lock and other city officials say the closure is not a done deal.

“There is no answer at this point,” Lock said. The chief said his team is reviewing several options including closing another station instead of #8, and reviewing other possible staffing arrangements including the “brownout” plan supported by the Firefighters Union.

Union president Raul Garcia said the city could save up to $200,000 in this fiscal year if that plan is followed. At least one more meeting is scheduled between the various parties before the possible closing of Station #8.

What do you think? Do you think the south side of Flint would be vulnerable if the Atherton station closes? Share your thoughts by commenting below!
Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: