FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: enforcement on metal thieves

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Landlord fed up with thefts from rental housesTuesday, March 15, 2011
Tags:theft, housing, metal theft, landlords, local, cathy shafran
Comment Now Email Print Report a typo
Cathy Shafran
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (03/15/11) -- There's a warning tonight for those who are buying illegally-obtained scrap housing products in Genesee County.

The sheriff's department is stepping up enforcement, which could mean felony charges for offenders.

The warning comes after a meeting last night between members of the Genesee County Landlords Association and the sheriff's department. Landlords say they've reached the last straw with those who are stealing copper wiring and aluminum siding, driving the landlords away from their investments.

"I don't have money to fix it right now. I don't know if I have money to keep paying the mortgage, keep paying the insurance," landlord Aaron Dionne said.

Dionne has been a Flint-area landlord for some six years. He says he's never seen it so bad. Just last Thursday, in the middle of the day, theives started ripping off aluminum siding from one of his houses. They were at it again the next day.

After 32 similar incidents at his 37 rental properties that have cost him nearly $12,000 over the several years, no criminal charges have been filed against anyone.

He wonders if it's time to stop investing in the Flint area. "I tried to be an upstanding citizen, businessman, landlord and keep the properties up. But how many times can you get beat down before you say I'm done?"

The concerns drew the attention of the Genesee County Sheriff's Department, which, in the past 24 hours, announced they're stepping up deterrent action.

"Undercover stings, those that are ripping, stealing and buying need to know that law enforcement is going to answer," Capt. Chris Swanson said.

Swanson says there may be little they can do to catch thieves in empty houses, but they can target those who buy the stolen items. "Recyclers need to know that, in Genesee County, if you're buying materials that you don't know the source or if you know they were stolen, there will be accountability for recyclers," Swanson said.

Swanson reminds everyone that criminal charges will be filed. Those who purchase known stolen property face felony counts.

Follow us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

(Copyright ©2011 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Vacant Flint home being prepared for rental burglarized, damaged
Published: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 8:35 PM Updated: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 9:17 PM
By Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal
FLINT, Michigan — A vacant home on North Stevenson Street near Flushing Road that was undergoing repairs and being prepared for rental has been damaged in a burglary, according to a police report.

The owner went to the home on Sunday and found an armor guard door missing from the front of the home, according to the report.

Police also observed a back door forced open and the house ransacked.

Copper was stolen from the home and several fixtures damaged, including sinks in the bathroom and kitchen, according to the report.

The owner told police there is no insurance coverage of the losses.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

God forbid Swanson have a detective actually take a few finger prints to match against houses that have been broken into and actually arrest those who are causing the damage. another one of those crazy ideas about solving crimes and stopping cremes that just seem to elude our police department and continue to encourage criminals to continue what they're doing.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

AWWWW, the slumlords are getting a little payback for the misery they have caused in Flint. The slumlords do not have a problem moving prostitutes, thieves, and drug dealers next door to you and are unapologetic about it. After all, where do you think the scrappers, thieves, thugs and murderers live, in RENTAL HOUSES mostly owned my members of the Genesee slumlords association Therefore, I have no sympathy.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Man arrested after breaking into home to steal copper pipes in Flint
Published: Thursday, March 17, 2011, 7:43 AM Updated: Thursday, March 17, 2011, 7:57 AM
By David Harris | Flint Journal
FLINT, Michigan — Police arrested a man after he broke into a home on Lippincott Boulevard near Howard Avenue to steal the copper pipes, according to a police report.

Police received a call around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday from the home owner stating that someone had broken into his home. The man could still hear the suspect banging on the pipes to get them out.

The suspect was arrested and lodged in the Genesee County Jail.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

HooRAH!!!
Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
cleartheair schreef:
AWWWW, the slumlords are getting a little payback for the misery they have caused in Flint. The slumlords do not have a problem moving prostitutes, thieves, and drug dealers next door to you and are unapologetic about it. After all, where do you think the scrappers, thieves, thugs and murderers live, in RENTAL HOUSES mostly owned my members of the Genesee slumlords association Therefore, I have no sympathy.

Guess what egghead, landlords have to rent to anyone who has the cash. Thank the politicians for passing that so called FAIR HOUSING ACT back in the 60's. Forcing people to surrender the control of their property over to the hands of self serving, self righteous politicians was cheered by liberals,, and it destroyed the inner cities. Yes, I said it, yes, I that can been seen as "racist" ,, yes I am a jerk,, but in spite of all that, I TELL THE TRUTH.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

Well egghead, why would you buy a house and help tear Flint down? If you cannot control who you rent to then don't become a slumlord. I have to doubt what you say about having to rent to anyone, i know a couple RESPONSIBLE landlords, who have tenants who act like they own their houses and take care of them. When you go to other cities no one makes you rent to anyone who comes along, hell you can just raise the rent and get a better tenant, or better yet not own any rentals at all.
It sounds like you are a slumlord, and just making excuses.
Take that nice neighborhood where Usewick owned that house and made the whole neighborhood miserable, and for what? Just to make a buck. I think this scum even lived in Florida and did not care or how about the douchbag who owned the Carpenter apartments, a nice asset for Flint and the slumlord turned it into a negative.
IF YOU ARE A LANDLORD, GET RESPONSIBLE OR GET OUT!
Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:21 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: