FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint barely above 100,000 in census

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Census: 4 Of 5 Largest Mich. Cities Lost People
Census Shows Detroit's Population Plummets 25 Percent

POSTED: 2:59 pm EDT March 22, 2011
UPDATED: 5:51 pm EDT March 22, 2011

facebookdel.icio.usbuzzdiggreddit›› Email›› Print
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- New census data shows that Detroit's population dropped 25 percent in the last decade, with the city losing more than 237,000 people.

A significant drop was expected, but U.S. Census Bureau statistics released Tuesday caught some experts off-guard.

The data shows Detroit's population fell from 951,270 in 2000, to 713,777 in 2010. State demographer Ken Darga says that's "considerably lower" than the Census Bureau estimate released last year.

The data reflects the exodus of city residents to the suburbs and the auto industry's steady decline. The Motor City's population peaked at 1.8 million in 1950, when it ranked fifth nationally.

Gov. Rick Snyder says the numbers "clearly show how crucial it is to reinvent Michigan" and that the state can no longer "cling to the old ways of doing business."

Based on the data, Flint no longer is one of the five largest cities in Michigan.

The Census Bureau says Detroit remains No. 1, followed by Grand Rapids, Warren, Sterling Heights and Lansing. Sterling Heights in Macomb County saw its population grow by 4 percent since 2000. Other cities in the Michigan top five all lost residents, including Detroit, with its staggering 25 percent drop.

Saginaw Planning tweeted out that the official 2010 Census count for the city of Saginaw is 51,508.

Meanwhile, the population of Michigan's Upper Peninsula has fallen 2 percent compared to 2000.

The U.P. has 311,361 people, down from more than 317,000 a decade ago. The numbers include people who are free as well as those who are locked up. The Census Bureau counts inmates as part of the local population, and Michigan has seven prisons in the U.P.

Marquette remains the largest county in the U.P. with 67,077 people. Ontonagon County had the largest percentage drop among all counties in the state, 13 percent.

Keweenaw, a peninsula on Lake Superior, is the smallest county in Michigan with 2,156 residents. That's about four per each square mile of land in the county.

City 2000 2010 Chg.No. Chg.Pct.

Detroit 951,270 713,777 - 237,493 -25.0
Grand Rapids 197,800 188,040 - 9,760 -4.9
Warren 138,247 134,056 - 4,191 -3.0
Sterling Heights 124,471 129,699 5,228 4.2
Lansing 119,128 114,297 - 4,831 -4.1
Ann Arbor 114,024 113,934 - 90 -0.1
Flint 124,943 102,434 - 22,509 -18.0
Dearborn 97,775 98,153 378 0.4
Livonia 100,545 96,942 - 3,603 -3.6
Westland 86,602 84,094 - 2,508 -2.9
Troy 80,959 80,980 21 0
Farmington Hills 82,111 79,740 - 2,371 -2.9
Kalamazoo 77,145 74,262 - 2,883 -3.7
Wyoming 69,368 72,125 2,757 4.0
Southfield 78,296 71,739 - 6,557 -8.4
Rochester Hills 68,825 70,995 2,170 3.2
Taylor 65,868 63,131 - 2,737 -4.2
St. Clair Shores 63,096 59,715 - 3,381 -5.4
Pontiac 66,337 59,515 - 6,822 -10.3
Dearborn Heights 58,264 57,774 - 490 -0.8

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved
Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

New 2010 Census data shows Flint population at 102,434
Published: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 2:03 PM Updated: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 3:11 PM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

Flint Journal file photoDowntown Flint in 2004.
FLINT, Michigan — The city of Flint's population is 102,434 people, the lowest it's been since the 1920s, according to the new 2010 U.S. Census count released today.

That means the city of Flint has lost 22,500 people over the past decade — an 18 percent loss. Flint had 124,943 residents in 2000. S

till, the city managed to hold on to its ranking as the seventh largest city in Michigan.

Genesee County's 2010 population is 425,790, down 2.4 percent from 436,141 in 2000.

The numbers show a continuing downward trend for Flint's population, which peaked at nearly 200,000 people in 1960, when General Motors was in its heyday.

Community leaders have worried about Flint's ability over the next decade to stay above 100,000 residents — a significant benchmark for state and federal aid.

The government uses the population and demographic data to allocate funds to schools, programs for women and children, public transportation, roads, senior citizen programs, and emergency food and shelter.

Flint's population over the decades:

1920 — 91,599

1930 — 156,492

1940 — 151,543

1950 — 163,143

1960 — 196,940

1970 — 193,317

1980 — 159,611

1990 — 140,761

2000 — 124,943

2010 — 102,434

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

For more on this developing story, visit www.mlive.com/flint later today.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Additional Data: To access data from multiple geographies within the state, such as census blocks, tracts, voting districts, cities, counties and school districts, visit American Factfinder: http://factfinder2.census.gov.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I see Detroit's down to 713,000 & Michigan's the only state to show a population drop.

Flint's drop is very visible as I take my thrice weekly morning walk through the ghost town once known as Civic park.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County board Chairman Jamie Curtis says census count 'really good news'
Published: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 4:44 PM
By Ron Fonger | Flint Journal
GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- County Board of Commissioners Chairman Jamie Curtis is calling the county's less-than expected 2.4 percent population loss "really good news."

"It's very good news that the county didn't take as big a hit as anticipated ... after 10 years of the worst economic downturn," Curtis said. "We are still the fifth-largest county in the state. We haven't lost that position."

The county's overall population dropped by 10,351 people from 2000 to 2010, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, but some communities posted gains, helping to offset big losses in the city of Flint's population.

The countywide reduction is less than the Census Bureau had projected as recently as this month.

In estimates released just weeks ago by the Census Bureau, the county was projected to have lost more than 17,000 people over the last decade.

County Commissioner John Northrup, D-Flint, said he expected worse.

"I'm surprised," said Northrup, who represents part of the city of Flint, which lost 22,500 people over the past deacde -- an 18 percent reduction.

"With as many (vacant) homes as there are I wonder, where are (all the people)?" Northrup said.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

How many of Flint's 102,434 are college students whose home town is not Flint, or are "homeless" who may not be permanently in Flint, or former residents who have already left Flint? It's hard to believe there are that many residents now.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I agree as the number of vacant homes are growing.
Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

After the original census was done, there was another special group sent out to find the homeless again. What's the possibility they were counted twice?
---
Some college students were counted twice, once in college town where they are living, and again in home town by parents who claim them as dependents.

Last edited by 00SL2 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I mailed my census form in, then a young lady came around insisting I answer her census questions to "verify" I had mailed my form. I refused & she got irate & left. Never heard any more about it, but wonder if it was an attempt to double count.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I agree as the number of vacant homes are growing.

Hey, it's not that bad. On our morning walks, we've been on some blocks that have 2 occupied houses on them.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I mailed my census form in, then a young lady came around insisting I answer her census questions to "verify" I had mailed my form. I refused & she got irate & left. Never heard any more about it, but wonder if it was an attempt to double count.
Young lady did the same thing at the building where I work. She wanted to know everybody who worked there, what does that have to do with census?
Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

So shrinking slower than expected is a good thing?
Published: Friday, March 25, 2011, 7:42 PM Updated: Friday, March 25, 2011, 7:50 PM
By Andrew Heller | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

Come Heller high water…

Unlike the mayor, I guess I fail to see the good news in the census numbers. One hundred and two thousand people live in the city, but a stunning 2,000 per year, nearly one in five, have left since 2000. So at that rate, Flint will be empty 2062, right? Yikes.

The Genesee County board chairman also liked the county’s numbers, which showed a 2.4 percent population loss, or 10,351 people, from 2000 to 2010. He expected it to be more. But, again, is that good news? Isn’t that like the captain of the Titanic saying, “Great news, people, we’re sinking slower than before.”

Ironically, I’ll bet the economic implosion of the last three years has kept a lot of people from leaving. When people have no money, no job, and suddenly owe more on their homes than their worth, it’s a lot harder to leave.
Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Just like detroit, urban African Americans are moving to the suburbs,

Census 2010: Genesee County communities more diverse; Hispanic population grows
Published: Friday, March 25, 2011, 9:59 PM Updated: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 7:03 AM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal The Flint Journal
GENESEE COUNTY — The face of Genesee County is changing, reflected in the shifting demographics of nearly every local community.

Over the last decade, just about every city and township in the county has become more diverse — though some much more slowly than others, according to new 2010 U.S. Census data released this week .

Some communities, like Grand Blanc Township and Swartz Creek, showed growth in most racial and ethnic populations since the last census count in 2000.

Others, like Burton and Flint Township, increased their minority population, but also experienced the most white flight, statistics show.

Flint Township, for example, gained 2,779 black people, but lost 4,500 white people to become 68 percent white and 26 percent black, data show.

The county’s Hispanic population showed the most gain, mirroring a statewide and national trend, with the largest increases in Grand Blanc Township, Burton and Flint.

In Genesee County, Latinos increased by 28 percent, or 2,831 people, even as the overall county population declined, data show.

In all, the numbers show a continued trend toward diversity, reflected in schools, churches and local businesses.

“It simply does reflect the changing opportunities and probably some changes in attitudes over decades,” said Paul Rozycki, political science professor at Mott Community College. “It’s not surprising at all. It’s a good trend in a lot of ways.”

Grand Blanc Township resident William Kornegay’s story is similar to that of many in the local African-American community.

He moved to the area from Florida 40 years ago looking for work. Like so many others, he took a job with General Motors and spent most of his adult life working there.

He settled his family in Grand Blanc because of its reputation for good schools and picturesque neighborhoods.

One of the fastest-growing communities in the county, the township has seen increases in every population category over the last decade, the largest among blacks. The township is now 83 percent white, 11 percent black and 3 percent Asian. It’s also 3 percent Hispanic.

The local black population in the township more than doubled from 10 years ago to 4,009 people.

“I see it in my neighborhood every day,” said Kornegay. “When we moved here, you could count the number of minority black kids on your fingers and toes. Today, it’s a ton.”

The attributes that attracted Kornegay to the township are still drawing people from urban areas, such as the city of Flint, he said.

“People want to have better opportunities for their kids,” said Kornegay, 78, who lives in a tree-lined subdivision just south of Hill Road. “You want them to be better off than you were when you came along.”

Changes in Swartz Creek, the predominantly white city just 10 miles west of Flint, show it’s quietly becoming more diverse. Swartz Creek’s African-American population more than quadrupled over the 10 years, up from 62 people to 292 people.

The growing community includes families such as the Grays, who were looking for an escape from urban life without going too far.

Ryan Grays said he and his wife Joya moved their four children from the south side of Flint into a spacious apartment in Burkeshire Pointe in Swartz Creek two years ago because they were tired of being surrounded by noise and crime.

“There were people outside on the street shooting each other,” said Grays, 27, whose children are ages 2, 5, 7 and 10. “It’s so quiet here. We don’t worry about crime at all.”’

Grays, whose wife works at a retail store in Flint, said he hasn’t noticed a dramatic increase in diversity in the city of Swartz Creek itself but has seen a large number of African-American families specifically moving into Burkeshire.

The 112-unit development that sits on 20 acres opened nearly seven years ago for low- and moderate-income families. It offers access to a clubhouse, community room, computer center with a printer and Internet access, picnic area with grills and playground.

“This is much nicer than we could get in Flint,” Grays said.

Longtime Swartz Creek business owner Steve Mardlin also said he’s noticed more diversity in the community as new housing complexes opened up in the community.

Since 2000, Swartz Creek has seen at least half a dozen new housing developments.

“I think they’re looking for suburban living in a good community and they’re looking for something decent at a low price,” said Mardlin, who serves on the board of Swartz Creek’s Downtown Development Authority and is an ambassador for the Chamber of Commerce.

Some of the demographic change has slowly swept through Swartz Creek School District, which saw a nearly 45 percent increase in black students in just the last five years.

The demographic group grew from 156 students in the 2005-2006 school year to 226 students this year — although Swartz Creek draws students from 18 different school districts including Carman-Ainsworth and Flint.

About 116 students also identified themselves as multi-racial this year, a category that the school previously wasn’t required to report.

“As far as diversity is concerned, the community is just gradually becoming more like America,” Superintendent Jeff Pratt said. “We’re just a melting pot.”

City Manager Paul Bueche said the difference in numbers hasn’t translated into big community changes — the increase of 230 people still means the African-American population make up just a 5 percent slice of the community.

He said the change seems to be part of the overall 12 percent increase in the city’s population, now up to 5,758.

“I haven’t noticed any impact on the city ... but it means we’re growing, which is a good thing,” he said.

The U.S. Census Bureau collects data on race and ethnic origin for government use to evaluate programs or enforce laws, such as the Voting Rights Act and Fair Housing Act.

Racial data will also be examined locally if the decision is made to redraw district lines to reduce the county Board of Commissioners, which is under consideration.

County Clerk Michael J. Carr said the Reapportionment Commission will study the breakdowns “almost block by block” to redraw the lines.

“We’ll do everything we can to make sure the black population is adequately represented on the board,” he said.

The Hispanic Community & Technology Center in Flint uses data on Hispanic origin to identify areas in need of services. The center has definitely noticed a growing need from people seeking translations or help with interpretation, said Carlos Cisneros, a member of the center’s executive board.

The fact that the Hispanic population is growing in every part of the county isn’t surprising, he said.

“People are moving around and they’re spreading their wings,” he said. “They’re getting more acclimated. They can move to the Fenton areas or the Lapeer areas and still meet their needs.”

The local Hispanic population is probably even larger than the census numbers show, mainly because undocumented Spanish-speaking people likely don’t want to draw attention to themselves, said Paul O’Donnell, professor of foreign languages at the University of Michigan-Flint.

O’Donnell sees the increased numbers as a “huge resource that is going untapped.”

“They’re very careful at keeping quiet,” said O’Donnell, who studies Hispanic population shifts in Michigan. “No has numbers on these things unless you see things personally. It’s a totally invisible population.”

Journal staff writer Beata Mostafavi contributed to this report.

Sponsored Links
Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:12 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: