FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling's right, we don't need more police

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Between about 4 and 4:30 this morning, there were multiple gunshots fired on Welch, between Grand Traverse & Dupont. Four different residents of the area called 911 and all were told the same thing. "By the time a car gets there, the shooters will be gone, so no car will be dispatched. Just lay on the floor & wait it out" This is not the first time the residents of this area have been told this when shots are fired in their neighborhood.

What a great way to attract new residents and businesses that bring jobs. Thanks for nothing, Walling.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Dave You oughta call me whenever these things are going on. I'd be glad to hop on here (Flinttalk) and report how many police cars are sitting at the 7 11 on Atherton Rd when all these crimes are going on.

We had call from that 7/11 here a few weeks back. Most memorable was that it was not a weekend, it was after 10PM and there where 10 police cars there in less than 2 minutes. 5 of which where Flint cops. The Clerk even took a videotape on his cell phone because he was so surprised that so many responded and so quickly. Maybe we should hire another 200 officers. Maybe next time we could get 20 cars to respond in under 2 minutes.
Post Wed May 25, 2011 2:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Ted do you even listen to the scanner?

Post Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

No I don't have one. What I'm thinking is if we have a bunch of people that could listen and then look outside at favorite police hangouts and see when and why calls cannot be answered.
Post Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Flint-police-blotter/129530643789351

Ted at my work I sit around for 1 hour a day doing nothing. It's called break time. Everyone at my work gets those. Don't Flint police get those as well or do they work 8-12 hours straight with no lunch break or cigarette break whatsoever?

Post Wed May 25, 2011 3:44 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

They go code 7.

Post Wed May 25, 2011 5:04 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
They go code 7.

Sometimes they even go code 8. I don't think they have to hold up one finger or 2, though.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed May 25, 2011 5:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
No I don't have one. What I'm thinking is if we have a bunch of people that could listen and then look outside at favorite police hangouts and see when and why calls cannot be answered.

If you had a scanner, you'd hear the dispatchers telling the cars the original call time; sometimes 5 or 6 hours before they even dispatch a car. Or, are you claiming that the cops just hang out at the 7-11 all shift & never go on a call?

Post Wed May 25, 2011 5:29 pm 
DA Bruce
F L I N T O I D

I like the cops-at-the-donut-shop jokes like many other folks do, but the facts are the facts. The Flint police are not lounging, they simply are not employed! In a fairly recent interview Mayor Walling stated that it was absolutely not true that we (Flint) had only two cars on patrol (for 33 sq miles) at a given time. Last Saturday morning, while listening to the scanner there were only two cars out during the course of several hours. As more officers became available throughout the day, they were attempting to answer multiple current gunshot calls and legacy calls that were over 18 hours old. By then many of the original callers were not responding to call backs so the complaints were closed without any investigation. There is no way that I believe our public safety folks were lounging. Frankly our Mayor Walling and Chief Lock are lying through their teeth when they say we (Flint) have a sufficient number of police officers for our current needs, or that we can ‘make due’ with what we have. Certainly the FBI has a different perspective on the state of Flint and its crime statistics then both Walling and Lock. I fancy myself as a good political campaigner and PR man but I challenge anyone out there to tell me how we (the City of Flint) can incorporate “most dangerous city with population of slightly over 100,000” into an perspective new business/employer or tourism brochure. What do we say?….come to Flint to see the birthplace of the UAW, a historical US automotive manufacturing legacy, a former Soviet Union ICBM target because of our past manufacturing might, but please keep your head down and move fast and you must sign the waiver before entering”? I would much rather be able to state facts like …a former hotbed of gangs, drugs, and murders,….. a city that had once been discarded by the State of Michigan as unredeemable, that had completely and solely, through the difficult and vigilant work of its citizens, has risen from the ashes of society to become once again a super power. The latter is the kind of stuff that makes good PR. That’s what brings investment and jobs into Flint. Begging, praying, and groveling is not going to make Flint better, it is up to us. Is there anyone out there with me on this? I have posted here before and was slighted with no commentary whatsoever. Many in the Flint area and the 34th district know and voted for me last November, must I uncloak within this forum to earn a responsive gesture? Is it time for a decent write in candidate for the political suicide of Mayor of Flint?

The true measure of an individuals worth isn't contained within an inventory of what one had accumulated throughout a lifetime.....however, it is truely measured within the lifetime accumulation of an individuals good deeds that are left behind. BAR2011
Post Thu May 26, 2011 12:11 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
DA Bruce schreef:
I have posted here before and was slighted with no commentary whatsoever. Many in the Flint area and the 34th district know and voted for me last November, must I uncloak within this forum to earn a responsive gesture? Is it time for a decent write in candidate for the political suicide of Mayor of Flint?
A resounding YES!
Post Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 am 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Dave You oughta call me whenever these things are going on. I'd be glad to hop on here (Flinttalk) and report how many police cars are sitting at the 7 11 on Atherton Rd when all these crimes are going on.

We had call from that 7/11 here a few weeks back. Most memorable was that it was not a weekend, it was after 10PM and there where 10 police cars there in less than 2 minutes. 5 of which where Flint cops. The Clerk even took a videotape on his cell phone because he was so surprised that so many responded and so quickly. Maybe we should hire another 200 officers. Maybe next time we could get 20 cars to respond in under 2 minutes.

Ted,

It must be nice to be in an area of Flint where there are so many police and they respond in less than 2 minutes. Try out what people in most of the rest of Flint are living with and you will see that Walling is an idiot if he thinks we do not need more police. Try calling about a shooting on the north side and have the dispatcher tell you to get in the basement or on the floor until the shooting is over because they don't know how many hours it will be until they can get somebody out there. Or being told that they will not send anybody to a shooting because nobody was actually shot and they will most likely be gone by the time the police get there anyway. (Based on the response times we normally get, they could be in the next state by the time the police get there!) I believe it was Dave Starr that posted about an incident where there was a body and the police could not get there for hours. Mr. Starr, please correct me if I am wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I do not blame the majority of the Police at all. They are doing the best they can under the circumstances that Walling has place on them. I do blame Locke, who has not been able to give a coherent answer to any question that I have asked him at any of the Community Forums I have attended.

Ted, if there were 10 police show up at that 7-11, WHAT MAJOR CRIME HAD OCCURRED that would require 10 squad cars at that one location? It sounds like BS to me. If it actually did happen as you state, then that just proves my point that Locke does not know how to run a Police department. It couldn't have been too big of an event if the clerk had nothing else to worry about than documenting 10 police cars showing up. Or was this staged to try and make Walling look good?

Thomas Jefferson
Post Thu May 26, 2011 6:32 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: