FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Protect the Children?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Oldwestsider66
F L I N T O I D

Did anyone get a lit piece today from a PAC about children? I guess there is also 2 websites along with them?
Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I just saw a posting on facebook where protect the children was bashing Walling.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:31 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Protect the Children is Nick Singelis and is Political Action Committee has a web site against Walling. Singelis worked on the previous Walling campaign so this is an abrupt change of heart.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Protect the Children PAC has 3 You Tube videos

Anyone but Walling

Peter Bade, wrong for the City

Steve Montle, could be the big fish
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

new PTCPAC land Bank=land Grab
http://youtu.be/K6pKuuFYg0I

Focuses on Dan Kildee, Mott Foundation, Ridgeway White, uptown Reinvestment,Ford foundation and the impact of gentrification of Flint.
Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

During the time that Walling worked in Washington DC for then Mayor Anthony Williams, DC went through a great deal of gentrification thet displaced huge numbers of the poor. When these individuals were driven into neighboring communities, there was a great uproar as these communities were caught unaware and did not have the necessary resources in place to deal with the influx of poor and disabled.

Williams also closed the DC General Hospital that addressed the needs of the low income and diverted resources to a more upscale hospital.

I drive the neighborhoods all the time and there are more vacant and abandoned homes every month. So who are we building these homes for?
The area between Flusing andWelch , and between Chevrolet and Dupont has whole blocks that are nearly decimated. And other communities are the same.

why did Metro Housing, Mott Foundation and others hold a huge event that dealt with planned development when Flint keeps changing its priorities and creates more development areas that it can deal with . Some of these areas are not even in the Consolidated Plan the city must prepare for HUD funding. The rationale for some of these areas do not even make sense.

Until the crime issue is resolved, this development will fail. If I were a resident of University Park I would be furious. Some of these homeowners were the victim of predatory lending and they paid full market value for their homes. These new homes are heavily subsidized and the taxable value will remin lowered. What will be the impact on University Park homeowners when they try to sell. There has already been one suspicious arson.
Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Gentrification is a good thing. Its needed because a city cannot be successful if it is just seen as a place for the poor and needy to live. Downtown Flint is being gentrified, and that is ok. Look at all of the cities we call "great" NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. They all have had a tremendous amount of gentrification which increased their tax base and attractiveness to college educated individuals. Flint needs gentrification because we cannot be a place only for the poor. There will always be lower income neighborhoods and housing, but simple urban planning shows that having such an area in a city's downtown is devastating. Uptown Developments has been great to this community and has spurred many businesses not affiliated with them (Cork on Saginaw, Tina's, Hoffman's, Carriage Town Antiques, The Spencer Agency, etc) to open downtown as well. Gentrification is good. It's what makes Time Square so gorgeous, it makes the Loop in Chicago so attractive, and its what is making downtown Flint popular again. The poor will always have a place to go in our society, gentrification does not take that away completely.
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:43 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
Gentrification is a good thing. Its needed because a city cannot be successful if it is just seen as a place for the poor and needy to live. Downtown Flint is being gentrified, and that is ok. Look at all of the cities we call "great" NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. They all have had a tremendous amount of gentrification which increased their tax base and attractiveness to college educated individuals. Flint needs gentrification because we cannot be a place only for the poor. There will always be lower income neighborhoods and housing, but simple urban planning shows that having such an area in a city's downtown is devastating. Uptown Developments has been great to this community and has spurred many businesses not affiliated with them (Cork on Saginaw, Tina's, Hoffman's, Carriage Town Antiques, The Spencer Agency, etc) to open downtown as well. Gentrification is good. It's what makes Time Square so gorgeous, it makes the Loop in Chicago so attractive, and its what is making downtown Flint popular again. The poor will always have a place to go in our society, gentrification does not take that away completely.

I had an argument with Domet some time ago about this very thing. He or she was complaining about what would happen if Powers actually had taken the old Flint Central High School building over.He ( I think Domet is male) was musing how bad it would be for that area to go through "gentrification" . Hell, I hate those wine sampling wannabes in the College/Cultural area myself but let's face it, they aren't going to be gang bangers . Hell, most of the men in that area are sissified so badly it would take serious testing to find any testosterone in their bodies . Yeah, Yuppies ( or whatever the current term for wannabes is) are annoying but let's face it, they like to spend money and act high and mighty so why not tap into their arrogance and snobbishness ? See, we don't have to like each other to get along. Those little birds that clean rhino's teeth aren't loved by the rhinos but the both derive benefit from each other. Same with the "gentrifiers" and the unwashed masses .
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:30 pm 
Cornbread Maxwell
F L I N T O I D

I keep seeing NS name come up for doing some of the slimiest things. Who is he, where did he come from, does anyone know him personally that can vouch for him? I would love to see a list of things he has been involved with in this area - everything from stealing Wallings email list to the timely creating of the nonprofit. Any help?
Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:29 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I think Domet is male)

The jurys still out on that one. Laughing
Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:11 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: