FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: ANGRY FLINT SENIORS WANT THEIR VOICES HEARD!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Georgia Patrick, an 84 yr old Fairfield Village resident was already angry about the increase in crime in the Court Street and other south side neigborhooods. Then the Kettering Sorority behind her house was victimizedand she got her new water bill. Her area has a complex calling circle which she utilized to rally her friends and neighbors and they demanded a press conference to voice their anger.

Who would have thought she could be so insistent! I don't know if any media will come, but ahe has assembled a group to be present with her .

October 26, 2011
Flint- A group of concerned seniors and other Flint residents think Flint is headed in the wrong direction, Citing the two increases to the water and sewer bills in less than one calendar year and the increase in crime, they are demanding action.
They are holding a press conference on Friday , October 28, 2011, 11:00 a.m. at 911 East Seventh Street , Flint.
“While crime in much of the nation has declined”, said Mrs. Georgia Patrick, “ Flint has become number one in the nation in murders, aggravated assaults, burglary and rapes for communities with a population over 100,000.”
She also noted that Flint is ranked number two in poverty for the nation. “Seniors are on a fixed income and cannot afford these drastic water rate increases. Families in my neighborhood are telling me their bills have doubled, cutting into their food and gas allowances.”
Citizens are outraged that the City of flint is using the water and sewer fund to provide water and sewer construction in Smith Village, said Mrs. Patrick. “Development at any cost cannot come on the backs of seniors and the poor, especially when future resources are being committed that could possibly improve public safety”.
“This Federal money was supposed to stabilize neighborhoods ravaged by foreclosures and I have seen too many foreclosures in my area and other areas”

Contact Information:
Mrs. Georgia Patrick
(810) 234-8304
Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

October 26, 2011
Flint- A group of concerned seniors and other Flint residents think Flint is headed in the wrong direction, Citing the two increases to the water and sewer bills in less than one calendar year and the increase in crime, they are demanding action

I can kind of understand water rates going up but it seems like the water service charge and the two sewer charges also went up 35%. ???

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

channel 12 showed up. These seniors saw their bills go up to $91 36 and higher. Seniors, the handicapped and others on a fixed income are already balancing what to pay for and what to sacrifice. Do they pay for medicine, utilities, food or water.?

There is no safety mechanism in place to help to pay for these increases. The nonprofits that help are tapped out and the city has no mechanism for hardships as far as these water bills go.

Yes Adam they increased everything on the bill 35% just as they raised everything last January 25%.

When Mrs Patrick and her neighbors told me about checking the reads with the water meter reader, I thought they had made a mistake. Aren't we suppposed to have a van or a truck with special equipment ride around and read the meters? Then as I drove down Sloan the other day I saw a blonde woman with a yellow-green safety vest saying City of Flint reading meters. I quickly called her to apologize for questioning her.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:21 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Yes Adam they increased everything on the bill 35% just as they raised everything last January 25%.

So does this go into the city of Flint "slush fund" to pay for things like Smith Village?

Is this legal?

Isn't the sewer/water fund supposed to be used for sewer and water?

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:02 pm 
eastsidewestside
F L I N T O I D

It's unfortunate that water and sewer bills are going up, but costs have risen and the previous administration (or MIS-administration) failed to raise them when they needed to so they are going up even more, now. It is also unfortunate that many people, especially those on fixed incomes (like me) are stretched to pay these bills, but the law does not allow public utilities to give discounts or to forgive bills for people who cannot pay. If you have a private, for profit utility company, they can do that because it is the company's business how much they charge and how much they make in profit. If a city owned utility gave free services to the mayor's family and friends, how much would you be screaming? Well, he can't do that and he can't give free water to seniors, either.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The previous administrations, (Stanley, Williamson and Brown) made some adjustments by increasing the sewer rates and adding water and sewer charges)

The real problem is with Detroit.

Feb 2010 ... thought we had come to an understanding that if Detroit wanted to have a serious dialog ... proposed changes to the standard Water contract. ... As you will recall, we informed you that Genesee County has formed a ... Your letter taiks about the great strides your office has made over the iast seven years in ...http://www.gcdcwws.com/NewsArticle2262010.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

In this document the Detroit Water and Sewer Board recommends double-digit rate increases for the next ten years. Also in meetings with Genesee County and Flint, Detroit proposed to negotiate with Genesee County and cut Flint out of the negotiations, with the Flint representative present.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit promised a secondary water system when the built the current water pipeline in 1965. After the city of Flint spent millions to remodel the Flint water treatment plant, they want to build a secondary water sysem for Flint. Genesee County can build it for less and we will have a 30 yr old system versus a 100year old system.. Currently for every 5 gallons of water billed from Detroit the City only receives 4 gallons.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
eastsidewestside schreef:
It's unfortunate that water and sewer bills are going up, but costs have risen and the previous administration (or MIS-administration) failed to raise them when they needed to so they are going up even more, now. It is also unfortunate that many people, especially those on fixed incomes (like me) are stretched to pay these bills, but the law does not allow public utilities to give discounts or to forgive bills for people who cannot pay. If you have a private, for profit utility company, they can do that because it is the company's business how much they charge and how much they make in profit. If a city owned utility gave free services to the mayor's family and friends, how much would you be screaming?Well, he can't do that and he can't give free water to seniors, either.

What a crock of s---! Detroit has a fund that helps pay exorbitant water bills. So what do you propose? Should they go without food and medicine to absorb these cosst increases . Winter is expected to be long and cold this year. It is the oldest seniors that have the most limited resources and they are the ones that cannot absorb these cost increases.

It is interesting to note that when Channel 12 interviewed Sheldon Neeley about the proposal to divert over $767,000 to finance Smith Village improvements, he said it would nearly tap out the water fund. This was money walling said was needed to pay for the water Treatment plant remodeling. He also said it would help free up money for public safety.

You can't free up money for public safety if you spend it all on Smith Village. Remeber the water fund was in a deficit after Walling has been in office two years.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

DID CHANNEL 12 COME TO DO WALLING'S BIDDING? THEY DID NOT ADDRESS ANY OF THE ISSUES OF CRIME INCREASES IN THE AREA AND ONLY WANTED TO DISCUSS THE WATER AND SEWER INCREASES. NOW WALLING CLAIMS BUCHANAN SET THEM UP TO IT. BUCHANAN WASN'T EVEN NOTIFIED AND KNEW NOTHING. IT WAS A $91.36 WATER BILL FOR 2 PEOPLE.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:24 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The bill I just paid was $101.00 for the 2 of us. last month's bill was $121.00

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In this document the Detroit Water and Sewer Board recommends double-digit rate increases for the next ten years. Also in meetings with Genesee County and Flint, Detroit proposed to negotiate with Genesee County and cut Flint out of the negotiations, with the Flint representative present.

What will happen to the poorest seniors and families if the increases continue another 8 years.
Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:52 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: