FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: IMPENDING DEATH OF A NEIGHBORHOOD?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

CHANNEL 12 DID A STORY LAST NIGHT ABOUT THE DESTRUCTION OF THE FREEZER UNITS ON THE ROOF OF HINKY DINKY MARKET FOR THE COPPER AND SHOWED MIKE KATOOLA STATING HE COULD NOT AFFORD THE HIT. HIS INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER THE LOSS.

ADD THE $25,000 OR MORE TO REPAIR THE SYSTEM AND THE LOSS OF BUSINESS COMBINED WITH HIS OTHER FINANCIAL WOES AND THE BUSINESS WILL VERY LIKELY GO INTO BANKRUPTCY.

THIS NEIGHBORHOOD AROUND GARFIELD SCHOOL HAS ALREADY SUFFERED MANY LOSSES. THE AREA HAS NO SCHOOL AND MANY OF THE LOCAL BUSINESSES HAVE FAILED. A NUMBER OF BEAUTIFUL HISTORIC HOMES THAT ONCE BELONGED TO FLINT ELITE ARE TOTALLY TRASHED.

IT TAKES CERTAIN ELEMENTS TO HAVE A NEIGHBORHOOD AND AMONG THOSE ELEMENTS ARE A SCHOOL AND A GROCERY STORE.

HINKY DINKY HAD LOSSES OF OVER $60,000 A YEAR BECAUSE OF THE CORRUPT WAY THE FLINT CITY COUNCIL DEALT WITH LIQUOR LICENSES. AFTER KATOOLA BOUGHT AND REMODELED THE STORE, THE AREA COUNCILMAN DENIED THEM A BER AND WINE LICENSE. CAN YOU IMAGINE BUYIN YOUR CHIPS AND OTHER SUPER BOWL GOODIES AT HINKY DINKY AND THEN GOING ELSEWHERE FOR YOUR BEER.

THE EXCUSES USED WERE FLINSY AT BEST AS THE STIP CLUB IN THAT WARD HAD A NUMBER OF VIOLATIONS INCLUDING PROSTITUTION AND DRUGS. I SUSPOECTED KICKBACKS BUT THE STORE OWNERS SEMED AFRAID TO ADMIT THAT TO ME ALTHOUGH MY CO-WORKERS ALLEGED IT WAS CONFIRMED TO THEM.

DRUGS ARE SOLD IN FRONT OF NEARLY EVERY NORTH END GROCERY AND PARTY STORE AND USUALLY BY GUN TOTING THUGS. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH POLICE TO ANSWER RQUESTS FROM STORE OWNERS TO GET RID OF THE DRUG DEALERS AND YOU ARE PROBABLY PUTTING YOUR HANDS IN JEOPARDY BY TREYING TO REMOVE THEM ALONE.

HOW MUCH MORE CAN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD LOSE BEFORE IT NO LONGER EXISTS AS A VIABLE ENTITY?

HERE ARE MY COMMENTS FROM 2010:

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

People always say someone is" comparing apples to oranges" when noting that the comparison doesn't make sense. Well the Flint Journal tooka complex subject and made it totally incomprehensible when they compared three funding agencies whose financial resources came from totally different sources, operated under different rules and regulations, and had totally different boards of Directors. The result is a totally incoherent story of available resources.

The Flint Area Investment Fund (FAIF) was created when federal money was routed through the State of Michigan to the City of Flint for use in the Flint Enterprise Community only. It had a sunset date and had to adhere to federal regulations. Because no mechanism was in place at the time, the Community Capital Development Corporation (CCDC) was selected to maintain the fund and they received a management fee. As CCDC was on the brink of insolvency, this seemed like an acceptable solution at the time. The FAIF was to report to the Flint Area Enterprise Community (FAEC), a joint committee comprised of representatives from the area in Flint and Mount Morris Township that comprised the zone.

As time went on the FAIF refused to allow the FAEC officials to monitor their records, although 2 of the FAEC members sat on the board. Bank representatives and CCDC board members comprised the rest of the board. The audit fell 3 years behind and CCDC tried to increase the maintenance fees without approval of FAEC. The state and HUD had been remiss in their monitoring activities as well.

Under Williamson, the monitoring was ordered to take place. Records were incomplete and evidence of mismangement came to light. FAEC took back the funds and attorneys and forensic auditors came in. During meetings with the state, the state wanted the city to repay the mismanged funds. Now the ball is in HUDs hands. Police were unable to adequately prove who stole certain funds and the lengthy process never produced prosecutions, although in my opinion there was significant evidence of mismanagement.

Home > Flint News
Flint loan programs still taking chances on local businesses despite mixed success
Published: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 9:00 AM Updated: Monday, June 14, 2010, 7:06 AM
Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
Follow Share this story
Story tools

FLINT, Michigan — It’s arguably one of the poorest areas in the nation, but city loan programs are still taking big chances on small business owners — hoping to inject life into Flint’s nearly barren economy.

Millions in loans have been given out since 1998 — and more than $3 million of the federal and state taxpayer funds (including interest) still hang in the balance.

It’s a huge pot of money for investments that have had mixed success over the past 10 years, including one high-profile case of two businessmen convicted of pocketing $1.2 million of the loans.

Of the 31 businesses that have active loans, five are in bankruptcy or foreclosure, and 10 have had significant loan restructuring.

Jeffrey LaMonde | The Flint JournalFrann Parker, right, 56, wanders the selection at the newly opened Witherbee's Market & Deli with Jamie Stevens, 24, both of Flint. Witherbee's, 601 King Ave. in downtown Flint, was one of several small businesses that received a loan from the Flint Economic Development Corp.

It’s a risk city officials are willing to take, however, as the area struggles amid a nationwide recession. The public financing options can be a lifeline to the community’s small business owners who have trouble getting credit or low-interest financing from banks.

The federal and state funds are specifically geared toward the hard-hit area that includes Flint and parts of Mt. Morris and Genesee townships. Most of it went to small businesses, though some homeowners also received mortgages in the early years of the program.

“There are some positive things going on,” said City Councilman Bernard Lawler, who sits on one of the loan boards. Councilman Sheldon Neeley, another loan board member, said the investments are a great value for both the city and the business owners.

They point to the newly opened Witherbees Market & Deli in downtown Flint as well as two recent investments that could bring more than 150 jobs as potential success stories.

One of the program’s stellar borrowers, David K. Berry received a $75,000 loan to open Raspberries Rhythm Café downtown in August. He said the 5-percent interest rate was unbeatable.

“The rate was just unheard of — it was that simple for me,” he said. “The support has been great.”

Still, 17 of the 43 active loans are behind on payments — and eight borrowers are more than six months behind.

If the loans aren’t repaid — and the loan program staff isn’t aggressive enough with collections — federal officials could subtract the funds from future grant awards, meaning fewer funds would be available for the business owners who need them.

The two main loan programs are the Flint Area Enterprise Community (formerly known as the Flint Area Investment Fund), which serves one of the poorest parts of Genesee County in a 10-square-mile area of Flint and Mt. Morris Township; and the Flint Economic Development Corp., eligible to all qualifying Flint businesses.

Mayor Dayne Walling, president of the EDC board, said the programs in recent months have taken significant steps to improve the loan process, including hiring banking and legal professionals to help guide the process.

Loan officials want to avoid abuses of the program, such as the case of Joseph P. Giacalone and Daniel Robin. In one of the largest local cases of theft of public money, the two men pleaded no contest to stealing $1.2 million in loans for a factory they never built.

That was an extreme case of loan misuse, but officials said there are other loans that have been a struggle to collect.

Oil Chem, an oil recycling company located on 12th Street, declared bankruptcy two weeks after taking out the last of its $250,000 loan, which was granted in January 2009.

With interest, the total bill is now $266,000 and loan officials must now wait on a payment plan as the company goes through the bankruptcy process, said Robert Goodman, loan officer for the Flint Area Enterprise Community.

Councilman Scott Kincaid said the company never should have been approved for a loan, especially since it was behind on its taxes at the time, according to county tax records.

Oil Chem owner Robert Massey could not be reached for comment Friday. A message was also left for his attorney.

Also, Hinky Dinky Market on King Avenue, which owes nearly $200,000 on its 2001 loan for $376,000, is now in foreclosure.

The most overdue is Rocky’s Pizza, which has two loans and hasn’t made a payment since November 2008, records show. He owes $285,000, more than the $267,000 he borrowed because of interest.

Rocky’s owner John Varner said he plans to lease the building to pay off the loan. After starting the business, health issues that included triple bypass heart surgery and back surgery contributed to his money problems, he said, but he’s hoping to have a renter soon.

“I think I’ve had it with this one,” he said.

Goodman said the loan programs try to work with the borrower whenever possible, rather than immediately seize the property.

“The problem is, in this economy we don’t want to become landowners anymore than anyone else does,” he said. “We’re stuck with a couple that have been out there a little bit longer, but we’re still working with them.”

Concerned the city hasn’t done enough to collect on some of the overdue loans, City Councilwoman Jackie Poplar has asked for monthly status reports. She also wants to monitor who is receiving the loans.

“I am very interested in the businesses in the African-American community getting the loans we need to be getting,” she said. “These people are struggling and they’re striving to do business.”

Walling said the changes the loan boards have made will ensure that the loan terms are fair, but also protect the public funds.

He said the EDC board recently approved loans for two “exciting projects.”

Metro Medical Ambulance is relocating from Burton to a new Clio Road location using a $200,000 loan. The company has about 85 employees, and hopes to have up to 200 when it’s finished expanding, Walling said.

Kettering University’s K. Joel Berry also will receive a $43,000 loan for his Global Energy Innovations, which is projected to bring up to 80 jobs in the coming years.

Walling said the loan programs are looking fund a wider diversity of enterprises, including alternative energy.

“Today, in this economic climate, this is an incredibly important tool for our small and mid-size businesses,” Walling said. “We want to encourage development in all parts of the city.”

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tag Cloud
C Corporation Installment Loan Bad credit loan Personal injury attorney los angeles Business Loan
Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

When you drive by Hinky Dinky at King & McClellan it's hard to see where they spent 376K on the place.
Haven't been in there since it was Fred Farah's back in the day.

45ACP: Don't leave home without it.

Digital is for proctologists; film is for photographers.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

All new refrigeration units and freezers. Johnnie Coleman denied them a beer and wine license when he was councilman. They lost a lot of income that way. People who buy beer for a game on tv usually buy chips and other goodies. If they can't buy the beer they go where they can. Oddly enough the strip joint on Stewart wih multiple violations always got their license renewed.
Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:07 pm
Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I could tell some stories about that strip joint, but I won't. 5th amendment & all. Very Happy

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Took this from the Flint Urbanist Project. Katrina Taverbaugh did this piece and others in August 2009. The store was up for sale at that time.

Hinky Dinky Supermarket
3110 Martin Luther King Avenue
Flint, Michigan 48505

Hinky Dinky Supermarket sits on the corner of Martin Luther King and McClellan Streets. The neighborhood supermarket provides everything you can think of to accommodate the people living in the vicinity. You can pay all of your bills at this store. These bill postings are done electronically and depending on if you want immediate postings or not, the price differs. This is how the pricing is determined. The prices range anywhere from $1.50 – $6.00 profit for the Hinky Dinky Supermarket.
The store also provides check cashing. Many individuals living in the urban neighborhood do not have a savings or checking account. The fees would be ridiculous if they went to a bank to actually cash a check and did not have an account there. The fees would range anywhere from $5.00 – $25.00 just for a check for about $250.00. So what Hinky Dinky does is they keep their fees slightly cheaper than the bank, to bring in their customers. Sometimes, a person does not even need an identification to cash a check. The store has insurance so if a check comes back bad, they will still get their money and only the banks tend to take a loss. This just goes to show that an individual living in the “ghetto” has to work with whatever system is available for them. A person begins to wonder why the customer will not open up an account at a bank. Most of their credit is tarnished slightly and the banks will not allow them to open an account with the way the economy is today.
This store supplies anything affiliated with state services such as, WIC (Women, Infant and Children), and the EBT card, which supplies food stamp and cash assistance for individuals and families with low income. Sometimes you will catch the cashiers at the store allowing customers to purchase cigarettes with food stamps and they will just charge them extra (usually double the actual amount). The store has to be very careful because the state tries to manage situations such as these. They will pay a regular customer good money to do an illegal transaction and give them marked money, and usually the store falls for the trick. The store is then fined and looses their state benefits for some time.
And of course, what would this supermarket be if they did not provide beer and wine for their local neighborhood customers? The store makes really good money off of the customers that drink. I asked the owner why he did not have a liquor license, and he explained it had something to do with the zoning laws. The workers at the store know how to make the customer feel appreciated in their business establishment. While I was in the store observing, a regular customer went up to the front counter and complained about why there were no cold 2 liter Faygo Rootbeer pops in the cooler. They apologized and promised when he came back later on that evening the cooler would be fully stocked.
On another occasion of observation, it was fairly crowded right in the front of the store. I asked Ms. Grace (long time employee of business) what was going on and she explained that the mega million jackpot was over 200 million. All people that were in line were in search of a chance to maybe hit big and move up out of the “ghetto”. This made me decide to play about $3.00 worth of tickets.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I could tell some stories about that strip joint, but I won't. 5th amendment & all. Very Happy

Dave-I was feely horrible with a sinus infection , but you made me laugh.

Can you believe that a lot of people believe Untangling webs is our friend Lynn Waybright? Lynn is extremely intelligent and educated, but she did not live in Flint during the time I often report on.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:38 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I drove this area and it is a community filled with contradictions. McClellen as you approach mason becomes stable and then there is Shiloh Commons.

However the west side of the 3200 and 3300 block of ML King is pretty much abandoned. They just boarded up one building whose roof had collapsed next to the former hardware. The next block is mostly for rent.

Then on Pasadena, you have a completely renovated strip mall. It looks good but is not completely occupied.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

They finally boarded up Eric The Furrier?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Dave-I was feely horrible with a sinus infection , but you made me laugh.

Can you believe that a lot of people believe Untangling webs is our friend Lynn Waybright? Lynn is extremely intelligent and educated, but she did not live in Flint during the time I often report on.

Lets just say that what I observed at that club was not exactly family entertainment.

I can't figure out why so many people think Webs is a woman rather than a man.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

GENESEE COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT CASE # 11-95345 FARAH

FLINT AREA ENTERPRISE COMMUNITY INC (FAEC)
V.
HINKY DINKY SUPERMARLET, INC.
MICHAEL KATTOLA
MARYANN ENTERPRISES,INC
AD-KATT, INC.

On august 30,2000 Michael kattola and Hinky Dinky Supermarket borrowed $326,000.00 from the flint Area Investment Fund (FAIF).

The loan was secured by a mortgage on the property 3110 M.L. king

The mortgage allows ab acceleration of the balance upon default.

On July 3,2002 the mortgaged property was transferred by quit claim deed to Maryann Enterprises.

On July 5, 2005 the mortgage and loan documents were assigned to FAEC.

On November 5,200 the loan agreement was restructured to acknowledge the existing loan with a balance of $17,947.00. This included the personal guaranties of Ad-Katt, Inc.; Maryann Enterprises, Inc.; and michael kattola.
There was also a security agreement for personal property possessed by Ad-katt, Inc and Hinky Dinky.

There has been only one payment made since February 1, 2009 and with interest, the loan has a balance of $201,315.51. (Note: this was of the filing date of June 31,2011)

Oddly there has been no action on this lawsut since it was filed over 7 months ago.

This lawsuit and the theft of the copper almost guarantees the demise of the grocery store.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

As was the case with many of the loans executed by Communityy Capital Development Corporation, many of the security agreements were flawed. Although FAEC tried to perfect them when they assumed the loans, I can't help but wonder if that is the case here.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Another grocery store at risk. The former Farah Khouri store on Fenton and Hemphill is 2 years behind in taxes after being taken over by Landmark and Jonathon Katoola. The property is not owned by Katoola although a sales agreement was said to be in place.

4644 FENTON RD MAIL TO: LUKAS & EDWARDS, LLC
Tax Unit: CITY OF FLINT 3130 WESTWOOD PKWY
School District: FLINT SCHOOLS FLINT, MI 48503

Charges
Status
Original Taxes
Penalties
Interest
Statutory Fees
Total

2010 Delinquent $23,313.92 $932.56 $2,797.67 $15.00 $ 27,059.15

City of Flint 2011 Taxes

$23,396.17 summer

$1,542.34 winter

Landmark Food Center owners expected to take over Farah-Khouri Supermarket in Flint

Published: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 4:29 PM Updated: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 4:31 PM

By Melissa Burden | Flint Journal

Ryan Garza | The Flint JournalFarah-Khouri Supermarket owner Ed Khouri (left), 72, of Flint, is assisted to his car by the grocery store's a soon-to-be new owner, Jonathan Kattola, after a day of work at the Flint business. Khouri is selling the business to a friend and retiring from grocery store work effective next week after nearly 50 years. "I enjoyed my days in the grocery business, but I'm in a wheelchair. It's tough to run a business of this nature in a wheelchair."

Ryan Garza | The Flint JournalEd Khouri
FLINT, Michigan — For the past 12 years, Ed Khouri has run his south side supermarket from a wheelchair.

But he says it’s not ideal. He can no longer stock the shelves, sell liquor or run the lottery ticket machine.

“You can’t run a business from sitting in your office on your fanny,” said Khouri, 72, of Flint.

So after running the Farah-Khouri Supermarket, 4644 Fenton Road at Hemphill Road, for 34 years, Khouri is selling the last of his three grocery stores to a friend.

He’s retiring after nearly 50 years from a hard job that he enjoyed but one that kept him busy seven days a week.

On Monday, the store is set to change hands, but will remain locally owned and operated by the Kattola family. The Kattolas own Landmark Food Center, 206 W. Pierson Road, in Flint, which has been open for about 35 years.

Khouri said his good friend Mark Kattola offered to buy the store several years ago but Khouri wasn’t ready to sell.

He was, however, willing to give his buddy first dibs when the time came to step away.

The two have been working out sales details, which are not being disclosed, since after Thanksgiving.

“We’re very honored he gave us this opportunity and we’re going to take care of his place,” said Mark Kattola’s son, Jonathan, who will manage the Fenton Road store.

Jonathan Kattola said the store has a lot of potential with a great customer base and good location. He said they plan to “brighten it up a little bit” with new paint and eventually a new floor.

“We’re just going to do some small remodeling,” he said.

Customers also should see an expanded meat department with more fish offerings, Jonathan Kattola said.

The store’s 27 employees also will be offered positions, though they will be working for new managers, he said. Landmark may hire a few more people for the meat department, he said.

Many of Farah-Khouri’s employees have worked for Khouri for years and even decades.

“He’s like a father to me,” said Terry Daraiseh, 52, of Flint, a store manager who worked his way up from stocking at the store, a job he started in 1986.

Susan Petty, who has worked at Farah-Khouri for 13 years, said Khouri “took me in when I had no job.”

Petty, 45, of Flint Township is hoping to continue her cashiering job and is glad the store will remain open.

“The last thing we need in Flint is another business closing down altogether,” Petty said.

Khouri previously owned two other grocery stores in Flint. He sold one store on Stevenson Street in the 1970s and sold a store in Grand Blanc around 1980. He also used to work for Central Grocery.

Khouri, who is paralyzed from the middle of the chest down after a back surgery, said he’s hopeful the Kattolas will improve the 15,000-square-foot store.

“It’s time to give it up to younger, more aggressive people,” said Khouri, who will continue to own rental houses and a few apartment complexes in Genesee County.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

TWO GROCERY STORES THAT WERE TO SERVE DOWNTOWN ARE NO LONGER VIABLE ENTITIES. A CONTROVERSY BETWEEN NIPP AND THE ENTITY OPERATING WITHERBEES HAS RESULTED IN THE STORE CLOSING. WERE THE RENTS TOO EXORBITANT?

THE SECOND STORE NEVER GOT COMPLETED, DESPITE A $200,000 LOAN FROM THE FLINT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION.

Construction under way on two new downtown Flint grocery stores

Published: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 12:00 PM

By Melissa Burden | Flint Journal

Ryan Garza | The Flint JournalStevan Malone watches as Rick Blough patches dry wall while preparing a building at Court and Stevens streets in downtown Flint for Stevans on Stevens grocery store. Stevan Malone took a buyout from General Motors in 2008 and found a building downtown he thought would make a great grocery store.

Ryan Garza | The Flint JournalStevans on Stevens grocery store at Court and Stevens streets in downtown Flint could open in early November.
FLINT, Michigan — Downtown Flint is getting closer to having not just one new grocery store, but two.

While liquor and party stores abound across city neighborhoods, full-service grocery stores where residents can pick up fresh produce and meat have been scarce within city limits for years.

It’s not an uncommon issue among inner cities across the U.S., but it’s a common complaint among downtown residents, workers and an increasing number of students living here who say they have to drive miles for a full-service grocery store.

After environmental issues with underground gasoline tanks and financing delays, construction on Witherbee’s Market at King and University avenues has begun and interior work at Stevans on Stevens at Court and Stevens streets is under way.

Witherbee’s Market, a project led by Flint NIPP (Neighborhood Improvement and Preservation Project), has been in development for more than two years and demolition and environmental abatement work began a few weeks ago, said Amy Hovey of the Protogenia Group in DeWitt, a consultant to Flint NIPP.

“The construction should be done by the end of the year with the grocery store probably opening sometime late January, early February,” Hovey said.

Across downtown, Stevan Malone who lives on Ninth Street, said he was driving by a building at Court and Stevens streets in 2008 when he pegged it for a great spot for a grocery store.

“We don’t have any stores over in this general area,” said Malone, 53, who in 2008 took a buyout from the General Motors Flint Truck Assembly Plant. “We don’t have anywhere to buy milk, bread, butter.”

So he got to work and with the help of a loan from the City of Flint and labor from family and friends, he is working to transform a former paint store into 4,000 square feet of groceries, produce, meat, ice cream and even fried fish and chicken.

Building renovations include a new roof and windows, and inside the drywall is going up and the beamed ceiling has been painted. Malone said he is working to do much of the work himself to keep costs down and hopes to open around the beginning of November.

“People come by all the time and tell us to hurry up,” he said.

The store is within walking to distance to several apartments, senior apartments, businesses, Flint City Hall and to several homes.

“That grocery store will be perfect for her,” Christina Isaac, 26, of New York said of her mom, Mary Isaac, who lives on nearby Fourth Street.

Malone said he expects his store will get a lot of foot traffic from the nearby Mass Transportation Authority bus station.

“We’re two blocks from the bus station,” said Malone, who previously had a Please delete me! some years ago and operated a foster care home. “People will be able to stop here, grab some groceries and hop on the bus.”

Malone said he isn’t worried about two grocery stores opening downtown.

“We’re in a totally different traffic pattern,” he said.

Hovey said she thinks there is enough demand to support the stores, which are both small and likely will carry somewhat different inventory.

“Hopefully Witherbee’s will pull people form the Berridge, the Durant and U-M Flint’s campuses,” she said.

And University of Michigan-Flint student James Murphy, 20, who lives in the new Berridge Place loft apartments in Carriage Town, said he is excited to park his car and shop at Witherbee’s when it opens.

“Usually I have to drive all the way to Corunna Road to Wal-Mart or Sam’s (Club),” said Murphy, a junior majoring in psychology. “It’ll be real nice to be able to walk.”

Malone said he expects to spend about $400,000 to get his store open. To save some money he bought coolers and shelving from the a Rite Aid that closed.

This spring, Malone received a $200,000, low-interest loan from the city’s Economic Development Corp., which falls under the city’s Department of Community and Economic Development, said Dawn Jones, city spokeswoman.

Meanwhile, Flint NIPP recently secured all of its funding for an estimated $3-million project.

Witherbee’s hopes to hire up to 15 employees, while Malone said he expects to hire seven to eight people for his store.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
They finally boarded up Eric The Furrier?

I BELIEVE THAT WAS THE STORE WITH THE OPEN DOOR AND THE COLLAPSED ROOF.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:59 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If it's next to the original Gillroys hardware, it's Eric.

Trivia - there were 2 hardware stores there; Gillroys & Stebbins. Gil Morgan & his partner Roy (can't remember his last name, I always knew him as Roy) bought out Stebbins & combined the stores. Gil later bought out Roy. The stores are now run by Gil's son Bob.

Eric The Furrier was the only business to occupy their location.

Hinky Dinky was originally Fred Farah's grocery store.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:24 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: