FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: WHERE HAVE ALL OF THE DETECTIVES GONE?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Long wait: No arrest warrants issued in any of Flint's 14 homicides since March

Published: Monday, June 04, 2012, 7:57 AM

By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com

(Courtesy photo)Matt Angell, 30, was killed May 6 on Flint's east side.
FLINT, MI -- Her son already lost to the violence that has claimed 26 lives in Flint this year, Pam Bailey has waited four weeks news that his killer has been caught.

She's not alone in her wait.

Flint police have not obtained homicide warrants in any of the city's 14 homicides since March, said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton.

The last warrant issued for a homicide this year was against a 17-year-old accused in the Feb. 27 slaying of Anthony E. Allen Jr.

Flint police also made two arrests connected to an April 8 double homicide but those arrests were for outstanding warrants. Murder warrants have not been issued in that case.

Leyton declined to characterize whether the lack of arrest warrants since March is unusual.

"If there's a homicide and they bring in a warrant request, we will decide whether to issue it," said Leyton.

Flint Police Chief Alvern Lock said there are a number of reasons for prolonged investigations such as waits for evidence from the state police crime lab and obtaining corroborating witness statements.

It's not unusual for some homicide cases to take years to come up with arrests or charges.

Earlier this year, murder charges from a 1985 homicide were issued after a Michigan Department of Corrections made its prisoners submit DNA. The "Howard Boys" gang arrests last month, an investigation in conjunction with Flint police, Genesee County Sheriff and the FBI, included charges on three homicides dating back to 2004.

Bailey said the Flint Police Department has been "wonderful" to work with and she is hopeful for an arrest in the slaying of her son Matthew Angell, 30, who was found shot to death in a vehicle around 10 p.m. May 6 on Montana Avenue near Minnesota.

"It's just a matter of proving it," she said.

But each day that goes by without an arrest brings more anxiety, said Bailey. She wants someone brought to justice.

"He doesn't have the option of getting up in the morning," Bailey said of her son, a car enthusiast she said was willing to help others. "Every option is gone. I won't be the grandmother of his kids. Why should someone (responsible for the killing) have all those options; to get up and go about their day?"

Not everyone is as patient as Bailey.

Rosetta Dent said she is upset with Flint police handling of the investigation into the Feb. 5 slaying of her father, 78-year-old Roosevelt Dent who was found shot to death at his home on Marengo near Saginaw Street.

"This person (responsible) pretty much has been given to the police department, and it's been nothing," she said. "I have asked over and over 'when am I going to get some closure?'"

Shala Walton, a cousin of Danielle L. Woods who was shot to death April 14 in the parking lot of a liquor store on 12th and Saginaw streets, feels the same way.

"Everybody knows who did it," said Walton, 32. "Nobody wants to come forward until it happens to them."

The city got off to a good start this year when an arrest was made or the case passed off to the prosecutor's office to decide if charges should be handed down in six of the first eight homicides -- a pace that would have bested the city's recent clearance rates.

Flint police had about a 50 percent clearance rate for homicides in 2009 and 2010, which is a little lower than the national average.

Nationally, clearance rates were as high as 93 percent in 1961, according to the Police Executive Research Forum. The rate has fallen steadily since, and was at 62 percent in 2009, according to the FBI’s latest figures.

In 1995, Flint police cleared 76 percent of its homicides that year — a clearance rate that dropped to 50 percent just five years later, according to Flint Journal archives.

Rosetta Dent said she understands that police are overworked and undermanned but said she needs closure.

"I can't eat, I can't sleep. All I see is my dad in my face. The worse part about this is someone they did it, know they did it and now walking scot free."

bandit06

The number of police or lack of is not responsible for the no respect for life thug culture that has taken over many cities.
It is a direct result of the thinking and lifestyle of those that continue to breed them and remain silent about their actions.
No amount of police can overcome the code of silence that exists in these communities.
Until that changes all the peace marches and calls for "X" number of days of non-violence, etc. that these communities waste their time on will solve nothing.
When you have the mentality in these areas that because someone lives on or walks down the wrong side of the street he is your enemy no amount of police can change that thinking.
Combine that lifestyle with drugs easy access to weapons and nothing but free time to look for trouble and you have the receipe for what is happening daily in these cities.
You could have a thousand police investigating these crimes but if you have nobody willing to be a witness they will solve none of them.

reidsport

Come on even a blind dog can find a bone once in a while. All the good cops retired and left town a long time ago.

El Spook-o Biscuit-o

There are legitimately a lot of cops that care, that work their butts off, and it's horrible how the force has been cut down but...
There are a LOT of jobs out there where you get no breaks or lunches because the owners know they can get away with it because they prey on the low income who need work.
And a lot of these same people DO risk their lives by working at liquor stores and holes in the wall that can and are robbed and these people work for far, far less than 50K a year.

It isn't that the police don't work, it's that there's a sense of apathy you get from some of them and from the dispatchers where you wonder why you bother to report crimes in the first place. And that is the shame. The respect for the officers has dwindled and the deep cuts made by the city hasn't made that better in any way.

I respect many of the officers are trying to do in Flint but not ALL of them because there's a lot that just don't care. And there's a lot of people out in this city that risk their lives every day for far, far less and with no hope of a retirement of any kind in their future, and that's just the way of the world.

Knobby_Kabushka_728

Going to get worse, as little by little each year the economy and life in general slowly deteriorates in ths country for the masses...

55honesty

Keep spending more tax dollars on stopping those pot growers. Its a shame really, you guys.

abra09

There could be killers in custody on the tax payers dime. thank the conservative agenda and their uneducated support for the first time showing a REAL savings.

doinit4me

The blame for the Flint Police Department's dismal results regarding homicide, and other, investigations rests squarely on the backs of the "leaders" and local politicians we have had. They have repeatedly cut
and the budget of the the Flint Police. What did anyone expect would happen? The Police Department used to have around 300 members, top to bottom, now that number is around 150 + or -. The Detective Bureau used to have around 45-50 members investigating crimes, now that number is under 20. Support Services has been chopped by approximately 2/3rds. Yes, there are fewer people in Flint but the violent crime rate has gone up. It's first grade math people. Good thing we still have parks and senior centers. Don't get mad at the Police, start voting for people that actually tell the truth during a campaign, if you can find them

2allbeefpatty

Flint....where you can get away with murder. This culture dominates the people, and the uneducated thugs know they own this city. It's a sad situation when the inmates run the warden.

fuigb3

"karatkake: Please do not blame the police. They are too busy planning retirment parties and calculating juicy pensions"

Hardly. There are more citizens in line at any given fastfood place than there are scout cars on the streets.

karatkake
Please do not blame the police. They are too busy planning retirment parties and calculating juicy pensions
leotruth

I retired from the City of Flint Police Department. I can assure you that i did not receive a "juicy" pension. I did however have my benefits cut since retiring. My fellow brothers that are still on the force have either lost their job, or are facing a 30% cut in wages. I do not know what you do for a living, but i am sure that you would not put your life on the line for 50,000 a year. I am sure that if you had to work an 8 hour shift and not get a break or a lunch you would be complaining. I am sure that if you had to chase down a felon and get into a fight you would quit before you caught the suspect. The Flint Police used to be the best police agency in the country. Then all of the money left and the 400 police roster went down to 100. Instead of making smart*** comments, maybe you should take some time and thank an officer.

redlighttheway
leotruth,

This won't happen often, but I wholeheartedly agree with your comment. Believe me, it pains me to say that. If people truly understood what an officer goes through during their shift, it would make them crap their pants. Officers have to wear a bulletproof vest and a gun to do their job, not too many other occupations have that kind of job description.
Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

As I read this article, I heard the voice of Eric Mays in council addressing the hearing about deficiencies in the police department. Mays had it right then and I am sure he will say it again-There is a lack of qualified detectives to solve these cases.

When Brown started demanding a 30% and higher concession on wages and benefits, those who could retire did so. Some were allowed to buy three years towards their retirement. This was after Brown had already implemented Snyder's increase in police employee contributions towards their health care.

What choice do they have but to retire if they can and then get another job to make up the loss in retirement benefits and wages?

Brown appears to be vindictive in his treatment of the unions that refused to give in to him. While other unions got a 20% cut in compensation, the police got a 28% decrease. At least that was down from his attempted 35%.

The Journal needs to do a story on police morale. It has to be in the pits.

The department has needed to conduct a Sgts test for the longest time. It is now in place. They need Sgts to replace their retired detectives. Instead they have been rotating a pool of prospective Sgts so they don't violate the 90 day rule and end up with Sgts by accident.

The department has a brain drain. Just watch and under Lock, you will see officers that cost the city money from excessive force complaints and other issues get promoted. The test has been changed from all written to 50% written and 50% oral.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:04 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michael Angus had the reputation as being one of the finest homicide detectives in Flint. After his retirement, Brown entered into a six month special appointment to continue with his duties. But any detective is only as good as the team collecting evidence. No one detective can deal with the increase in homicides and the revolving door of Sgts.
Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

State police join Flint detective bureau to help investigate major crimes

Published: Tuesday, July 03, 2012, 4:32 PM Updated: Tuesday, July 03, 2012, 4:45 PM

By Khalil AlHajal | kalhajal@mlive.com

View full size(Khalil AlHajal | MLive.com)Flint Police Chief Alvern Lock, left, and state police Lt. Matt Bolger speak during a press conference at Flint Police headquarters Tuesday about the formation of a joint detective bureau with state police.
FLINT, MI -- State police personnel have joined the Flint police detective bureau to form a major crimes task force, officials announced today.

Eight state police detectives began partnering up with Flint detectives this week, raising the number of investigators working major crimes in the city from 12 to 20, said Flint Police Chief Alvern Lock in a press conference today.

"This has been a long time coming," said Michigan State Police Flint Post Lt. Matt Bolger. "We thank them for welcoming us in their house."

Bolger said move is funded by the state as part of the governor's efforts to assist the city with public safety struggles.

He said state troopers have been patrolling the city in recent months in proactive anti-crime efforts, and the joint detective bureau is meant to help with reactive policing.

"It puts more eyes on the case, put more boots on the ground," Bolger said.

Lock said the new partnership will be used to investigate homicides, home invasions, house robberies and armed robberies.

"We have additional resources, additional manpower, it only helps our efforts in solving crimes," Lock said. "The expectation is that we will solve these crimes quicker, but that's also based on the information we gather at the crime scene."

The Bridgeport-based State Police Crime Lab will also be providing additional resources to the city, said lab director Lt. Ryan Larrison.
Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

State crime lab will help investigate more Flint homicides under new plan

Published: Tuesday, July 03, 2012, 8:35 PM Updated: Tuesday, July 03, 2012, 9:17 PM

By Khalil AlHajal | kalhajal@mlive.com

FLINT, MI – The Bridgeport-based State Police Crime Lab will play a larger role in Flint homicide investigations as state and city police partner to form a joint detective bureau for major crimes.

View full size(Jeff Schrier | MLive.com files)Forensic technician Carrie M. Holka processes a damaged firearm at the Michigan State Police Crime Lab in Bridgeport Township in this April 2010 file photo.

Lab director Lt. Ryan Larrison said his staff in the past only occasionally assisted Flint police at crime scenes. Now they'll be called for help every time someone is killed in the city.

"The lab has operated in the city of Flint on a pretty narrow basis as far as crime scene investigations," Larrison said. "For the purposes of this project, we're looking at responding to every homicide scene."

He said Flint's own crime scene technicians recently underwent training to work more with the state lab.

Because the lab's workload could potentially double as a result of the move, personnel from other state labs will also be called in to help.

"It's kind of a new approach to throw more crime scene investigation resources into the city of Flint," Larrison said.

He spoke about the changes after a Tuesday press conference in which officials announced that eight state police detectives have partnered with Flint detectives to form a joint bureau to investigate homicides, home invasions, house robberies and armed robberies in the city.

"It'll help in efficiency. It'll help in case management. It'll help in investigating crimes," said Flint Police Chief Alvern Lock about the assistance from the state.

Flint had more violent crimes per capita reported in 2011 than any other U.S. city with over 100,000 residents, according to the latest FBI crime data.

In the first six months of this year, 32 people have been killed in the city.

Larrison said his staff is eager to help.

"I think everybody wants to make a difference," he said. "There's going to be a little bit of hesitation, like 'How many more 1 a.m. scenes are we going to go to?' But people want to do it.

"Things are only going to get better as a result of this collaboration."

Staff cuts and retirements have taken their toll on the Flint Police Department and it's 12-person detective bureau.

In one violent stretch of more than two months, no suspects were charged in a string of 14 homicides from the end of March to the beginning of June.

Flint police have since obtained warrants or made arrests in the city's last four killings, including a double homicide. In each of those cases, the suspects turned themselves over to police.
Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I wonder how the defective Sgt.s test played in to boosting the detective bureau.
Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:41 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: