FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Got my summer tax bill, not exactly overjoyed with it.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

My summer tax bill is about $200.00 higher than last year. I expected the $66.05 for street lights, but what surprised me was the garbage "tax". The "tax rate" is listed as 0, and the "tax" is $143.00. I'll grit my teeth, cut back somewhere & pay it, but I wonder how many won't.

I'm somewhat undecided between a pitchfork or torch for the upcoming march on city hall.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Taxable value decreased 6,000 on my home this year.

2011 Summer Tax included
Tax Rate 3.00000 for Garbage..............88.20
No separate tax for street lights

2012 Summer Tax includes
Tax Rate 0.00000 for Garbage............143.00
Tax Rate 0.00000 for Street Light.........66.05

When did the 3.00000 tax rate for garbage expire? When there are changes in tax rates they should be explained on the tax bill!

[Not to mention, water and sewer bill is now at least double what it was last year.]
Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Brown supposedly eliminated the millage for garbage and issued a flat rate!
Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

To add injury to insult-my water bill came today! Over $117 for the same consumption it has been for over a year. $91.42 last month!

And there is only 2 of us.
Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Don't know what happened to cause the triple post.

Let's see......

$143.00 garbage fee minus the $34.00 I paid last year = $109.00

Plus the Street light fee = $175.05

Plus the 50 bucks a month water bill increase = $600.00 per year + the above = $775.05 for one year.

Not bad, Mike. What "fees" will you add next:
911 call response fee?
Fire department response fee?
Charging you for the water used to put out your house fire?
A fee for repairing a sink hole or broken water main on your street?
An admission charge to city hall, since you're obviously there to complain?
A customer disservice fee for paying a water bill in person?
A fee payable by the patient to the city for an ambulance run?
An exit fee on everyone moving out of Flint?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Should we try and repeal the income tax?

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Yes, we probably could. However, the income tax is the only thing keeping Flint together even a little bit.

Don't forget we had an Enterprise Zone and a Renaissance Zone that gave tax abatements for 12 years and Flint did not experience the real growth we were promised. Money was squandered and quite honestly some of the home owners in University Park were defrauded in thie mortgages, etc. When the tax incentives left, some homeowners could not pay their taxes and now some cannot pay their association fees.

Every time the city has a bond to settle the deficit, Flint must commit future revenue sharing dollars. Plus revenue sharing is declining.

Maybe the entire state should declare bankruptcy?

In order to resolve a large finding by HUD involving slightly more than a million dollars, Eason and Walling committed Flint taxpayers to multi-million dollars in costs associated with Smith Village. We must find funding for an early childhood development center, a health center and a center for performing arts. And don't forget the costs of redeveloping the streets, wate, sewer and sidewalks in Smith Village. They also promised free landscaping.

Nancy Rich and John Carpenter were already implementing a plan to elinate the potential HUD fine.

Plus the low to moderate income people who qualified for these homes, did so before Brown raised the taxes and fees for street lights and sanitation services. They also have increased water and sewer fees to be budgeted.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:26 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

2012 EM 201 enacted 6/7/2012

Resolution to recognize HOME Investment Partnership Program Funds Re-deposited in
the Integrated Disbursement and Information System in Compliance with OIG Audit
Report 2011-CH-1001 and Authorized by Resolution 2012EM165
BY THE EMERGENCY MANAGER:
The City of Flint and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development signed a
promissory note on March 15, 2012 in which the City committed to repayment of $1,057,418.92

as relates to 010 Audit Report 201 1-CH-1001 and authorized by resolution 2012EM165.
The agreement determined that scheduled monthly payments are to be made from non-federal
sources. Upon receipt of the monthly payments, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban
Development has re-deposited said funds in the Integrated Disbursement and Information
System (IDIS) for eligible HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME) activities. These
re-deposited funds are available in IDIS activity #1 HOME COMMITTED FUNDS
ADJUSTMENT.
The City of Flint must recognize the funds on the City of Flint BS&A system in revenue account
238-749.104-502.749 and expense account 238-749.104-700.100 — HOME Uncommitted funds
in order to make said funds available for eligible HOME activities.
IT IS RESOLVED, That appropriate City Of Flint officials are authorized to do all things
necessary to recognize monthly deposits made by the U. S. Department of HUD in IDIS activity
#1 and establish HOME funds on the City’s BS&A system in revenue account 238-749.104-
502.749 and expense account 238-749.104-700.100 HOME Uncommitted funds.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Adam schreef:
Should we try and repeal the income tax?

Brown is approving all of the downtown tax abatements, so much of the revenue generated will be from income taxes of the theorectical new jobs to be realized.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:45 am 
westflint
F L I N T O I D

Seems like the downtown business are doing well. Why can not they be taxed like other businesses around the city? Seems like they just keep attacting the residents, which in turn, is ruining neighborhoods by encouraging people to move elsewhere. Just think, we pay the taxes and have no police protection, the citiy dosn't mow parks for taxpayers children, they don't fix sidewalks or cut down trees. (For years I've been calling about a tree on city property that needs to be cut down near my property) How can Brown tell us Flint is so broke and give tax breaks to the downtown area? If we are broke, how can he justify the salary he and his freinds make here? Should Brown have such a huge salery when the average citizen here make under 20 thousand a year? The residents had remove a tree that fell in the road in the last storm. Residents mow the parks in my neighborhood because the city won't mow or take care of them. What are we paying taxes for??
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

There's a tree down at Hamilton and Forest Hill from last week's storm that almost entirely blocks the northbound lane. Channel 5 covered a tree blocking all of East Dartmouth from the same storm. Nothing being done. One person interviewed by channel 5 said he doesn't think the city cares about this part of Flint.

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:02 pm 
westflint
F L I N T O I D

Tree down in the road in Mott park after last storm. Residents had to remove it. moreover, I have called the city for the past 4 years about 2 burned houses. I don't think the city has any intention of tearing these eyesores down.
Someone I know on second st had a house next to them that burned. The burned house on second st was tore done quickly. For some reason parts of the city are forgotton, and tons on money is dumped into other parts. Walling told me a while back when I complained about the tree problem here that the city cuts down trees. I have not seen this around here. I have a tree past the sidewalk near the road. Every time there is a storm the limbs fall off and land on my roof and car. The RESIDENTS around here have to pay a tree service even if the tree is on the city side (past sidewalk near the road). I don't mind paying taxes for city services; however, the taxpayers do not get services.
Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: