FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: EFM Kurtz-Need to raise Income Tax

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

EFM Ed Kurtz: Flint still in financial emergency

Posted: Sep 13, 2012 5:34 PM EDT Updated: Sep 13, 2012 6:23 PM EDT

By Kristen Abraham - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(09/13/12) - The money troubles continue in the city of Flint. That's according to the man charged with watching over the city's pocketbook - Emergency Financial Manger Ed Kurtz.

At his first media briefing Thursday, Kurtz addressed the city's current state and made some future projections. He says Flint is hanging on, even with a balanced budget, but they've cut all they can. The next step is to go to the taxpayers.

"If we do nothing, the outcome would be catastrophic. Our next look is increasing taxes," Kurtz said.

If you work and live in the city of Flint, your taxes would increase by a half of a percent. Up from 1 percent to 1.5 percent.

For non-city residents, your taxes would increase from a half of one percent to three quarters of a percent. To do something like this, the city needs legislative approval and a vote by the people.

Kurtz says another four years of declining revenues are projected and thinks perhaps the state needs to look at a different way to finance municipalities.

The city still has to address a previous deficit of $19 million, retiree healthcare and pension costs.

Even with all of its challenges, Kurtz still believes there's opportunity to recover. "This city going forward has got to create more revenue. There's simply no other options. My best guess is the city has $20 million a year less revenue then they had when I was here eight years ago. It's not hopeless, we do get depressed talking about it, but it's salvageable."
Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:53 pm 
brianstarr
F L I N T O I D

gee according to the worthless city council there is no money problem and they want ed kurtz gone and removed so i hope ed kurtz is removed and then i can sit back and see how long it takes for the council to run this city right into bankruptcy where it belongs any way
Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

People are leaving because of the high water bills and special assessments on our taxes. Of course we will have less revenue coming in, yet they keep giving tax credits to the downtown people.
Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:12 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Webs, it's probably because they think we're too stupid to realize what's going on.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: