FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Race for Gleason's seat

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Seven candidates run for Flint-area state Senate seat vacated by John Gleason

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
on January 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM, updated January 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

GENESEE COUNTY, MI -- A Genesee County commissioner has joined two other elected officials and four other area candidates in the race to fill the 27th District state Senate seat vacated by Democrat John Gleason.
Seven candidates filed by today's 4 p.m. deadline for the March 12 special primary election to determine who will compete in the May 7 special election. The winner will serve the remainder of Gleason's term, which expires at the end of 2014.

The five Democrats are: State Rep. Jim Ananich of Flint; General Motors employee Chris Del Morone of Flint; Genesee County Commissioner Ted Henry of Clayton Township; state Rep. Woodrow Stanley of Flint; and Lawrence Woods of Flint.

The two Republican candidates are retired real estate professional Robert J. Daunt of Flint Township and customer service professional Adam Ford of Flint.

Ananich and Stanley, who were re-elected in November to their state House seats, announced early on their intentions to run for the seat vacated by Gleason, who resigned after winning election to Genesee County clerk-register of deeds.

Stanley says he would bring many years of experience to the state Senate as a former Flint councilman, Flint mayor and Genesee County commissioner.

Ananich, a former Flint teacher, has already opened a campaign office in Flint and is touting endorsements, including Genesee/Shiawassee/Lapeer Building Trades Council.

Henry, a county commissioner for six years, was re-elected in November to his seat representing Clayton and Gaines Townships. He said he wanted to run to give voters the choice of someone who lives outside the city of Flint, since all the other Democratic candidates live in Flint.

"I've grown up in that district and lived in it my whole life," he said. "I know that district very well."

Del Morone, a GM employee for more than 35 years, said he wanted to give the voters the choice of someone who wasn't recently elected to another office.

"This election should be about the people," he said. "There's a lot of divisiveness in Lansing right now and that's not good for the people."

Woods could not be reached for comment.

As for the Republicans, Daunt recently ran against Ananich and lost in the 49th state House District. He said he was encouraged by local party leaders and other Republicans in Lansing to join the Senate race after Gleason resigned.

"It would be a shame to not have a contest both in the primary and the election," he said. "Voters should get someone who's not a career politician."

Ford recently ran for Genesee County treasurer and said he would carry some of those same issues to the Senate campaign, such as his hope to eliminate the county Land Bank.

"I'm very conservative," he said. "I thought I would be a good option for the voters."
Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:24 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: