FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: From Dayne Walling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
I thought it might be a play on one Roscoe van Zandt, the only African-American to participate in the sit-down strikes held in Flint in the late 30's that put the UAW on the map.

just my guess. no profound insight.

You are 100% correct. And that illustration is of Roscoe from a Sit Down Strike interview book. Roscoe had more courage during those 44 days than most people will have in their entire lifetime.

I just want to to keep his name alive. There are lots of Roscoe Van Zandts, and I am NOT that guy from Texas! I was cracking up when I saw that. Laughing
Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:52 pm 
Dave

How Sad Shawn Chittle (ROSCOE), you can't respond to guest posts!!
Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:33 pm 
Flint Teach

GOOD WORK DAYNE. Don't listen to this people, keep up the good fight.
Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:44 pm 
Voice of Reason

quote:
Roscoe Van Zandt schreef:
quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
I thought it might be a play on one Roscoe van Zandt, the only African-American to participate in the sit-down strikes held in Flint in the late 30's that put the UAW on the map.

just my guess. no profound insight.

You are 100% correct. And that illustration is of Roscoe from a Sit Down Strike interview book. Roscoe had more courage during those 44 days than most people will have in their entire lifetime.

I just want to to keep his name alive. There are lots of Roscoe Van Zandts, and I am NOT that guy from Texas! I was cracking up when I saw that. Laughing

Zzzzz ZZzzzz Zzzzz ... Wake me up when the good talk starts.
Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:30 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Roscoe Van Zandt schreef:
I love Flint Talk and think its very valuable. You guys are great. Don't let me dog Flint Talk, I'm NOT. Wink

And I don't speak for Dayne Walling. Dayne speaks for Dayne. I don't think he reads this site much; he certainly has a lot going on so if he does I'd be surprised. Smile

This is no fault of Steve's, but there really is no security on Flint Talk (or any Web forum). Anyone can say they are anyone and there is no proof, which is why Web forums are not good places to conduct any kind of media relations.

So one day Dayne posts, but maybe its not Dayne. Or he posts one day then stops, but someone pretends to be him and keeps it going.

How can you tell? You can't, and that's the problem. It's easier to stay off and say you've never been there, and issue official statements instead.

Flint Talk is a small outfit of motivated and concerned individuals, I think it numbers less than a 100 people posting or so? And of those a large percentage are guest users who don't even register, right?

While we all enjoy it and have made a community out of it, and Steve has done an amazing job, you won't find much official conversation going on here, and it should stay that way. That's what public meetings are for. I don't want my elected officials trolling the Web, I want them working on their jobs. Maybe an intern could skim it or whatever and report back, but this is not the way you effect change. When people can post anonymously, you can't take what they say seriously AT ALL.

Maybe Steve could host a private, closed thread and invite the mayoral candidates to register or something, or have them right there at the Flint Talk HQ. A live chat room or whatever, where he is taking questions, the candidates answer, and then he posts. That is the only way you can ensure authenticity.

Actually, it's ironic, but Dayne told me about Flint Talk ages ago. I visited it, but didn't see much. Then I came back recently and found some cool people, like Steve, Larry, Ryan, etc.

Hope this clears things up! Smile

I think that would be an Awesome idea Roscoe!
That way the candidates could talk about the issues,
and we know its really them!
Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
drmikevsvc
F L I N T O I D

I agree with Roscoe. Kudos to all who participate in Flint Talk, it's a wonderful tool for the "masses" and the last thing we need is the inability to speak freely and spread information.........but this type of forum can be dangerous (there is nothing wrong with anonymity, but when it is too easy to pose as someone else.........then you can really do some damage to that person) It's scary to think somebody could easily post something (anything) under my real name. That's why I'm sure certain individuals (people running for political office, professionals who must guard their reputations, etc) never show up here as themselves.

So until there is a way to ensure that who is posting a message is truly that person...........take it all with a grain of salt.

Sincerely,
Christopher Walken
Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:28 am 
jeff

All you have to do is check their ip adresses
Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:45 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is not MLIVE !!

Flint Talk is highly police by myself and a couple of close friends.

When I read a post left by a person in the public eye, I verify that the post was written by that person.

Case in point Sandy Hill. I called her to insure she was the person that posted under her name.

I did the same when Ehren Gonzales posted and will continue to do so.

As for Joe regular, I can be contacted by clicking the link at the bottom of the page.

I do not hide my Identity and I am in the phone book.

If you feel it is a emergency call me or better yet call Larry and John.

Case in point Al Garcia.

Most of the time you guys don't see the spam or juvenile posts because they are deleted, sometime as fast as they are posted.

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
drmikevsvc
F L I N T O I D

Well then Steve, thank you for the job well done!
Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:24 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Jason schreef:
Opinion: I was disturbed by the news that Manning Street may be replaced with a parking lot
By Dayne Walling

I was disturbed by the news that Manning Street may be removed and replaced with a parking lot. This street has been dear to me since I participated in an Operation Brush Up on the Saturday after my high school prom in 1992. It was amazing to see these hidden treasures and they should be preserved in their rightful place.

As a youngster, my visits to the Flint Institute of Music started at the doors facing Kearsley Street, as I walked over from Walker Elementary School.

While the vast majority of today’s visitors to the Cultural Center are not walking in but rather driving up, it seems to me that the entire neighborhood and campus could be more connected. Fences and parking lots may make for better neighbors in some places, but a central city community place is not one of them. By preserving Manning Street, we will show that we are ready to embrace distinctiveness, tolerate diversity, and learn again the lessons that history has to teach.

These are the decisive factors of successful revitalization and the hallmarks of real community.

Dayne Walling, Kensington Avenue

I could not agree more with Dayne, those things are very important. We need to preserve our History.
Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: