FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Council may replace 2 Hurley hosp. board members

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/03/flint_city_council_to_consider_5.html

mlive.com
Flint City Council may replace two Hurley hospital board members
Sarah Schuch | sschuch@mlive.com By Sarah Schuch | sschuch@mlive.com
on March 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM, updated March 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

FLINT, MI -- The Flint City Council will consider replacing two Hurley Board of Managers positions at Monday's council meeting, March 25.

The council will consider replacing Frances Gilcreast, president of the NAACP Flint branch, with Donna Poplar, former Flint city human resources director, said City Council President Scott Kincaid.

Council members will also consider the appointment of Delrico Loyd, former Flint City Council member who resigned in November, to replace current Hurley Board member Carl Mason, an independent appraiser who's been on the board for about 16 years. The re-appointment of Phil Shantz will also be on the agenda.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling, who makes the appointments to the Board of Managers, could not immediately be reached for comment.

MLive-Flint Journal staff will live blog from the City Council meeting, which is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. Monday. Look for a live blog post later Monday, March 25, at www.mlive.com/flint.

Kincaid said he didn't believe the board changes had anything to do with the recent controversy over discrimination lawsuits filed by Hurley nurses.

Kincaid said there will most likely be opposition to both appointments, but he believes the proposed changes will be good for the board.

"Sometimes, it's good to have new people with new ideas," Kincaid said.

Gilcreast, who has been on the Hurley Board of Managers for about seven years, said as of Monday morning she had heard only rumors that she would be replaced on the board. She said she was interested in serving another five-year term.

She thought the board had more important things to do than to worry about replacing people on the Hurley board, she said.

"It’s a service. ... It’s a very hardworking board. You work for the citizens of the community. You take your responsibilities very, very, very close to your heart," Gilcreast said, adding that she thought politics was had something to to with the pending appointmentst. "I have some ambivalent feelings toward it. You don’t take an institution that means so much to the community and put it in a political light."
The appointment of a position shouldn't be about who is liked or not liked, it should about the service that is given, she said.

As the former human resources director with the city of Flint, Poplar would be a good fit for the Board of Managers and would be able to help with any issues at Hurley, Kincaid said.

Poplar was one of several city employees who was laid off by former emergency manager Michael Brown.

City Councilman Sheldon Neeley, however, doesn't think either of the Hurley board members need to be replaced.

"The replacements are very suspicious," he said. "I think as the president of the NAACP, I think (Gilcreast has) done a good job. ... Delrico just resigned, saying he had other obligations."

Mason said he was interested in serving another term, but it was really up to the mayor and the council.

"I've enjoyed it. I think I've done a good job," said Mason, who's also served on the Hurley Foundation board. "I attended all the meetings, except when I was sick. ... I've always supported Hurley."

© MLive.com. All rights reserved.
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Sec. 6-201 BOARD OF HOSPITAL MANAGERS.
Establishment, Membership, Appointment.
A. The Board of Hospital Managers shall consist of fifteen (15) members appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council.
B. All members shall be City residents and shall serve in the interests of all the citizens of the City. No member shall be a member of any medical or health profession.
C. 1. The present members shall continue to serve until their respective terms expire, and shall then be eligible for reappointment in accordance with Sec. 6-101 of this Charter.
2. The initial appointment of those members necessary to increase the membership of the Board to fifteen (15) shall be made by the Mayor and Council no later than the first (1st) day of May after the effective date of this Charter. One person shall be appointed for a term of five (5) years, one for a term of four (4) years, one for a term of three (3) years, and one for a term of two (2) years.
3. Thereafter, all appointments shall be made for five (5) year terms.
(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-1974; Amendment adopted by the electorate, 11-7-1997)
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Recycling some of the same old names.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Off with some council heads!
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Live coverage of Flint City Council's discussion on Hurley Board positions, KWA pipeline deal
[Posted by Sarah Schuch | sschuch@mlive.com March 25, 2013, 3:45 PM] council chambers.jpg Tonight's Flint City Council agenda includes replacing Hurley Board members. MLive file photo FLINT, MI -- Hurley board replacements and KWA pipeline discussions are on tap for tonight's Flint City Council meeting.
Follow our live blog of the discussions Monday night, March 25, in the comments below.

Bookmark this page to follow our coverage this evening.

The city council meeting is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. and a change in two Hurley Board of Managers members is on the agenda, along with continued discussion of the KWA pipeline.

The city's finance committee approved a resolution Wednesday night to send back to the Flint City Council the question of whether to obtain water from a proposed pipeline from Lake Huron.

The council will consider replacing Hurley Board member Frances Gilcreast, president of the NAACP Flint branch, with Donna Poplar, former Flint city human resources director, said City Council President Scott Kincaid.

Council members will also consider the appointment of Delrico Loyd, former Flint City Council member who resigned in November, to replace current Hurley Board member Carl Mason, an independent appraiser who's been on the board for about 16 years. The re-appointment of Phil Shantz will also be on the agenda.

At 6:00 pm the reporter interviewed Mayor Walling who stated the proposed changes were requested by him. Maybe the rumors that he would bring Poplar and Eason back if he were in power are correct.

Meanwhile many in the north end are furious. Loyd resigned Council because he allegedly lacked the time and now he wants a new appointment!
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Journal kept a live blog so readers knew what was happening in council:

Resume Live Updates »Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.comThat's all until Wednesday, March 27, at 5:30 p.m. ...

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.comCouncil also approved a resolution to ask Gov. Rick Snyder appoint a receivership transition advisory board to transition the city away from an emergency financial manager. ...
-213-252.html

3 Hours Ago· Reply· Like· Flag
Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive. com Postponed appointing Donna Poplar by 7-1 vote. Councilman Freeman the sole dissenting vote....

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com"I'm not leaving this up to the emergency manager," Kincaid said. "I'm willing to postpone this to Wednesday at 5:30." ...

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive. com Now Lawler is asking about conflict of personal interest in regards to a relative. Jackie Poplar asks: "Excuse me. If it was such a conflict, why didn't any of you ask me about a potential conflict when I voted for her 116 times for ombudsman."...

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.comThere is back and fourth with City Attorney Peter Bade and Neeley. ...

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.comCouncil is now discussing the makeup of Flint's appointments. Discussion is about how many live in the City of Flint. "We're out of compliance," Neeley said. ...

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.comA number of people spoke out against not reappointing Frances Gilcreast. Walling telling council that board did not express interest in reappointing Gilcreast, not that they wouldn't have, but they just didn't. ...

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.comNow they're discussing Donna Poplar's appointment, which would replace Frances Gilcreast, who also is the president of the NAACP Flint branch....

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com Council has just voted to appoint Delrico Loyd to Hurley's board. Neeley wanted to postpone, his amendment failed by 5-3 vote. ...

4 Hours Ago· Reply· Like· Flag
Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com It was passed 5-3. Dissenting votes included Claudia Croom, Scott Kincaid and Jackie Poplar. Flint will get is water from Lake Huron as part of a KWA pipeline once construction is complete in three years. ...
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint council makes changes to the Hurley Medical Center board

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 8:55 PM PDT Updated: Mar 26, 2013 8:21 AM PDT

By ABC12 News Team - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(03/25/13) - The Flint City Council made changes Monday evening to the board of managers representing Hurley Medical Center.

The council voted to appoint former city councilman Delrico Loyd and to re-appoint Philip Shaltz.

They will both serve five year terms on the board.

Loyd replaced outgoing member Carl Mason .

Donna Poplar is being considered for appointment to the secretary position, currently held by Francis Gilcrest, but they delayed that decision.

The city's charter says majority of the board members must live inside the city, and Poplar does not.

Council says they need more legal information before making a decision.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

People supporting Gilcreast spoke at the meeting. Neither Gilcreast nor Poplar live in the City of Flint. They are both Mt Morris Township.

Remember how just months ago Loyd was so upset with family violence and was so busy he had to resign council. Now he is appointed to the Hurley Board! Could it be he was embarrassed by being found out for living outside his ward? I always felt that he contributed little to council discussions and will contribute little to the Hurley Board. He replaced a 16 year veteran on the board.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:42 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"All members shall be City residents and shall serve in the interests of all the citizens of the City. No member shall be a member of any medical or health profession."

"Vacancies which occur prior to the expiration of the term shall be filled for the remainder of the term in the same manner as an expired term."

Looks like somebody dropped the ball and mayor and council weren't informed when Hurley Board members moved out of the city. Should they have been allowed to serve the balance of their term, or be replaced by another resident when they moved out of the city? Is it time for mayor and council to review all current board members' residency requirements and act accordingly?

ARTICLE VI. MULTIPLE MEMBER BODIES
Sec. 6-101 MULTIPLE MEMBER BODIES.

A. Multiple member bodies, including boards and commissions, may be established by the City by ordinance or resolution. Such bodies may exercise those powers and duties granted by the City, provided that they do not conflict with provisions of this Charter or state law.

B. Multiple member bodies, including boards and commissions established in this Charter or created after the effective date of this Charter, shall be subject to the following provisions, unless otherwise stated in this Charter:

1. They shall consist of at least seven (7) members, whose terms shall not exceed five (5) years;

2. Initial appointments of persons shall be made to provide for staggered expiration of terms.

3. Appointments shall be made by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council. Removal from office shall be for cause upon recommendation of the Mayor and approval of the City Council.

4. Vacancies which occur prior to the expiration of the term shall be filled for the remainder of the term in the same manner as an expired term.

5. Members shall serve in the interest of all the citizens of the City and, except for compelling reasons stated prior to appointment , shall be residents of the City. In all cases, at least three-fourths (3/4) of the members of all multiple member bodies shall be residents of the City.

6. Each body shall have the power to organize for the conduct of its business including the selection of officers. All rules adopted and used shall comply with the provisions of Sec. 1-801 of this Charter. The rules shall provide for notice of meetings and shall define the manner in which non-attendance becomes neglect of duties and grounds for removal from office.

7. Each body shall report at least once a year to the Mayor and City Council concerning its activities. The reports shall include an accounting of the receipts and disbursements of all monies which have come into its hands and of any monies which may remain in its hands. A copy of the report shall be filed with the City Clerk and be available for public inspection.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-1974)

Sec. 6-103 REVIEW OF EXISTING MULTIPLE MEMBER BODIES.

Within one (1) year of the effective date of this Charter, the Mayor shall review the status of all multiple member bodies, including boards and commissions, in existence at the time this Charter takes effect, and recommend action thereon to the City Council. All multiple member bodies, including boards and commissions, which are continued, shall conform to the provisions of Sec. 6-101(B), except as otherwise provided in this Charter or by State law.

Sec. 6-201 BOARD OF HOSPITAL MANAGERS.

Establishment, Membership, Appointment.

A. The Board of Hospital Managers shall consist of fifteen (15) members appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council.

B. All members shall be City residents and shall serve in the interests of all the citizens of the City. No member shall be a member of any medical or health profession.

C. 1. The present members shall continue to serve until their respective terms expire, and shall then be eligible for reappointment in accordance with Sec. 6-101 of this Charter.

2. The initial appointment of those members necessary to increase the membership of the Board to fifteen (15) shall be made by the Mayor and Council no later than the first (1st) day of May after the effective date of this Charter. One person shall be appointed for a term of five (5) years, one for a term of four (4) years, one for a term of three (3) years, and one for a term of two (2) years.

3. Thereafter, all appointments shall be made for five (5) year terms.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-1974; Amendment adopted by the electorate, 11-7-1997)

Sec. 1-603 FORFEITURE OF OFFICE AND REMOVAL FOR CAUSE.

A. The City Council shall declare the forfeiture of the office of any elective officer or appointee and may remove for cause any person appointed to an office for a fixed term. In every case there shall be a public hearing before the City Council with notice published in the same manner as notices of proposed ordinances. A Council member charged with conduct constituting grounds for forfeiture may not participate in the resolution of the charge.

B. The position of an elective City officer or an appointee shall be forfeited if he or she:

1. Lacks at any time any qualifications required by law or this Charter;
or

2. Violates any provisions of this Charter punishable by forfeiture; or

3. Is convicted of a felony while holding the office or appointment.

C. Decisions made by the City Council under this section are not reviewable by the Mayor but are subject to judicial review in a hearing de novo. Any resident of the City may petition an appropriate court to require the City Council to hold a public hearing on the forfeiture of an office if the City Council has unreasonably refused to proceed.

Sec. 1-604 CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

A. An elective officer, appointee or employee who has a conflict between a personal interest and the public interest as defined by law, this Charter or ordinance shall fully disclose to the Chief Legal Officer the nature of the conflict.

B. Except as provided by law, no elective officer, appointee or employee of the City may participate in, vote upon or act upon any matter if a conflict exists.

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The missing 9th vote was Bryant BB Nolden. He was at an important meeting about grants at Berston. Poplar was said to be so angry that he was not there to support her, that rumor has it she is gathering absentee ballots to support AC Dumas. Actually she needed more than BB because the vote was 5-3.

North end residents are saying "they vow to get rid of any candidate that does not vote as they want them to" but are reluctant to say who the "they: are. Since both Poplars are "Sisters United" it might be that group. They did not follow campaign rules in the past, so why would they start now.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Tue May 07, 2013 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Just another illustration of why council people need to familiarize themselves with the city charter.
Post Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: