FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Domestic terrorism on the rise?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michael A. Clancy
Deputy Assistant Director, Counterterrorism Division
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Statement Before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights
Washington, D.C.
September 19, 2012

Good Morning, Chairman Durbin, Ranking Member Graham, and members of the subcommittee. It is my honor to come before you to represent the Counterterrorism Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation to discuss one of the highest priorities of the Bureau: the threat posed by domestic extremists.

On September 10, 2012, the FBI disseminated its National Terrorism Assessment on Domestic Terrorism. In the formulation of this assessment, the overall threat ranking considers intent, capability, and posture in its determination of the threat domestic extremist movements pose in the United States. The FBI assesses that economic and political events—foremost among them the coming presidential election—are likely to provoke domestic extremists into a more active state, although this is unlikely to drive an increase in large-scale violence. Smaller, localized acts of violence committed by domestic extremists, however, cannot be dismissed. The FBI further assesses that domestic extremist movements pose a medium to low terrorism threat. Specific political and economic events scheduled in 2012 create the potential for greater volatility within domestic extremism than existed in the previous year.

In recent months, the FBI has seen numerous examples of domestic terrorism and violence committed by lone offenders or small cells . For example, this year the FBI proactively dismantled an anarchist extremist cell comprised of five men who planned to blow up a bridge in Cleveland, Ohio. Four members of the cell have pleaded guilty, and the fifth member is going to trial. In November 2011, four members of a militia in Georgia were arrested for planning to acquire silencers and explosives to use against various U.S. government targets in Atlanta, Georgia. To date, two of the subjects have been sentenced to 60 months incarceration and three years of supervised release for conspiracy to possess an unregistered destructive device. This summer, we have witnessed multiple high-profile lone-offender shootings. The FBI investigated each of these incidents in partnership with federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies as potential acts of domestic terrorism. Three of these shootings—at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado; at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin; and at the Family Research Council headquarters in Washington, D.C.—resulted in the combined deaths of 18 individuals and the wounding of over 50.

Significant political events and scheduled international and economic meetings combined with ongoing economic concerns create the potential for greater volatility within domestic extremism in 2012 than existed in the previous year. While all domestic extremist movements pose a threat, the following potential outcomes are especially relevant in the current environment:

◾Election-related events heighten the opportunity for anarchist extremism in 2012.
◾The 2012 election process may revitalize recruitment efforts for the white supremacist extremist movement.
◾Militia extremists are expected to continue targeting law enforcement and government officials in response to any recently enacted legislation that is perceived as infringing on their constitutional rights.
◾White-collar crime by those in the extremist “sovereign citizen” anti-government movement who exploit the housing crisis could continue if the housing sector of the economy remains weak in 2012.
◾Environmental extremists may engage in criminal activity—including the destruction of property—if they perceive that legislative efforts to protect and preserve the environment are ineffective or unsuccessful.
Over the next year, domestic extremists are likely to maintain the intent and capability to pose a persistent threat involving smaller-scale bombings, assaults, firearms and explosives violations, arson, white-collar crime, threats, and other violations of federal law. The FBI will continue to enhance its crucial partnerships with federal, state, local, tribal, and foreign law enforcement agencies; other members of the U.S. intelligence community; and the private sector to combat the unrelenting threat of domestic terrorism.

In every domestic terrorism investigation—and indeed, in every investigation—we in the Bureau strive to balance the need to keep the American public safe with the need to protect constitutional rights, including the First Amendment rights to free speech and freedom of assembly. Intelligence and technology are key tools we use to stay ahead of those who would do us harm. Yet, as we evolve and update our investigative techniques and our use of technology to keep pace with today’s complex threat environment, we must always act within the confines of the rule of law and the safeguards guaranteed by the Constitution. It is not enough to stop the terrorists; we must always do so while maintaining civil rights and civil liberties. Following the rule of law and upholding civil rights and civil liberties—these are not our burdens. These are what make all of us safer and stronger. In the end, we in the FBI will be judged not only by our ability to keep Americans safe from terrorism, by also by whether we safeguard the civil rights and civil liberties for which we are fighting and maintain the trust of the American people.

Thank you for the opportunity to address the subcommittee on the FBI’s efforts to counter domestic terrorism. I will gladly address any questions you may have.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Paul Kenneth Curtis has been arrested for sending ricin laced letters to Obama and other public officials.

Some are debating if the April 15th bombing in Boston occurred because it was Income Tax day or that there was the potential for multiple victims.

we have not even reached the two dates usually associated with domestic terrorism.

April 19th:

Some point to the Battles of Lexington and Concord that started the American Revolution as being significant.

The Branch Davidian fire in Waco Texas on April 19,1993 ended a 51 day siege

McVeigh selected this date in 1995 to bomb the Alfred Murrah Bldg in Oklahoma City.

April 20th;

Hitler was said to born on April 20th. Some have speculated this date might be significant to Islamic extremists because of a believe Muhammad could have been born on this date.

Erick Harris and Dylan klebald selected this date to attack Columbine High School in 1999.

The Covenant, Sword and Arm of God compound was raided by the ATF on this date. They were linked to the Aryan Nation and the KKK.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Domestic terrorists........... gee, they're libs.

Leo Burt- Bombed Colleges, Part of Left Wing Terrorist Group ‘New Years Eve Gang’.

Jeff Jones – Bombed Pentagon, Killed Police, Current CEO of Appolo Alliance, An eco group funded by Obama

Berandine Dorn – Bombed Petnagon, Killed Police, Obamas friend, baby sat Obamas Kids.

Bill Ayers – Bombed Pentagon, Killed Police, Obamas Best Friend, Wrote Obamas Book.

Amy Bishop- college professor obsessed with Obama, shot 6 people.

Jared Loughter – killed 6 year old girl and shot gabby giffords

James holmes – Batman shooter

John Patrick Bedell -petnagon shooter

Floyd Lee Corkins – Chick Fil A Shooter

David Guy McKay – Plotted to bomb the Pentagon, caught first

Bradley Neil Crowder – Plotted to bomb the Pentagon, caught first

Antonio Martinez – Bombed a Recruiting Station

Una Bomber – Another left wing college professor psychopath

James W. Von Brunn – Holocaust Museum Shooter

Andrew Joseph Stack III – Bush Hating Leftist Who Flew His airplane into IRS building 9/11 style

Ryan Komosinski – Occupy Wall Street, Caught in BOmb Plot.

Brandon Baxter -Occupy Wall Street Protester Caught Planning to Blow Up Bridges

Douglas Wright – Occupy Wall Street Protester Caught Planning to Blow Up Bridges

Anthony Hayne -Occupy Wall Street Protester Caught Planning to Blow Up Bridges

Connor C. Stevens- Occupy Wall Street Protester Caught Planning to Blow Up Bridges

Joshua S. Stafford -Occupy Wall Street Protester Caught Planning to Blow Up Bridges

The list does not include all of the murderers and rapists from the left-wing #Occupy movement.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I see you had to go back to 1962, 1972 and 1974, when Obama was a youth, to try to make a link.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Chris Matthews on Boston Bombings: 'Domestic ... - Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/chris-matthews-boston-bombings-domestic-terrorists-tend-far-06302805...
Chris Matthews on Boston Bombings: 'Domestic Terrorists…Tend to Be on the Far Right'. By Billy Hallowell | The Blaze – Tue, Apr 16, 2013. Email 0; Share 66 ...

While the experts are still arguing over domestic terrorism or international terrorism, at least some say most domestic terrorists are on the right.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Gee David- There seems to be a lot pointing to Right Wing domination of domestic terrorism!

Web Results

Terror From the Right: Plots, Conspiracies and Racist Rampages ...
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/publications/terror-from-the-right
Terror From the Right: Plots, Conspiracies and Racist Rampages Since ... that the mass murder had actually been carried out by domestic, right-wing terrorists.

Right-wing terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_terrorism
Right-wing terrorism draws its inspiration from a variety of ideologies and beliefs, ... which killed 168 people, would become the worst domestic terrorist attack in ...

Firing Back on Right-Wing Domestic Terrorism
http://blog.ourfuture.org/20090618/firing-back-on-right-wing-domestic-terrorism
Jun 18, 2009 ... It's true that every one of the nine right-wing terrorists who've made the news since January 20 had a history of mental illness, domestic ...

Right-wing extremist terrorism as deadly a threat as al Qaeda ...
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/07/opinion/bergen-terrorism-wisconsin
Aug 8, 2012 ... FBI is investigating shootings at Sikh temple as act of domestic terrorism; Authors: Al Qaeda gets more attention; right-wing extremist terrorists ...

John Tirman: Does All Terrorism Come From the Right Wing?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-tirman/domestic-terrorism_b_1767433.html
Aug 11, 2012 ... Three recent events dramatically underscore a hard truth about domestic terrorism: nearly all of it originates with the extremist right wing.

Domestic Terrorism: Senate Hears Testimony About the Rise of the ...
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/domestic-terrorism-senate-hears-test
Sep 21, 2012 ... The bigger picture is even more disturbing: In reality, right-wing domestic terrorism is occurring at a remarkable rate, more than twice that of the ...

Domestic terrorism: The benefits of hindsight | The Economist
http://www.economist.com/node/21560566
Aug 18, 2012 ... The need for more monitoring of domestic terrorism ... Yet America's right-wing extremists commit a vastly greater number of murderous attacks ...

Republicans Blasted Obama Administration For Warning About ...
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/08/07/645421/right-wing-extremism/
Republicans Blasted Obama Administration For Warning About Right-Wing Domestic Terrorism. By Annie-Rose Strasser on Aug 7, 2012 at 10:25 am. Homeland ...
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Experts? You mean the peanut gallery at MSDNC? BTW, here's a picture of Kevin Curtis, the accused ricin mailer from his facebook page, and a link to another page with information about him.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=363320307106859&set=a.102489376523288.2712.100002866779971&type=1

http://ladyliberty1885.com/2013/04/17/ricin-letters/

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Oh and CNN is left now?
Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

CNN, the Communist News Network? I don't know; I never watch them.

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

CHRIS MATTHEWS LOL LOL LOL no one except the most brain dead liberal takes anything he says as serious reporting. Tingle up leg coming.

Unfortunately, there are dangerous kooks, trigger-happy wackos, and lone gunmen out there. Bad people exist. Crazy people exist -- and every so often, one of them snaps and there's a resulting body count. To most people, this is just a tragic fact of life.

However, to liberals in the media who are forever baffled by events that the average person has grasped since he was a child, these killers tend to break down into three groups. If they're devout Muslims and are connected to terrorists, then they must have killed for some reason OTHER than their religion. If they're conservative murderers, then they must have killed because of Glenn Beck, talk radio, the Tea Party movement, or whoever the hot conservative villain of the moment is and they're obviously part of a wider trend. On the other hand, if they're liberal, well then, at best the killer in question must be some random wacko who should immediately be forgotten. At worst, liberals try to paint leftward leaning killers as conservatives. They did this with Pentagon shooter John Patrick Bedell, who was a registered Democrat and the Holocaust museum shooter, James Von Brunn, who was an "anti-Christian, 9/11 'truther' who hated the Bushes and 'the neo-cons'".

This is actually quite ironic given that openly violent groups have been tolerated, if not embraced by the Left. ELF, ALF, the Black Panthers, G8 rioters, the black bloc at anti-war rallies, and even the Weathermen are looked upon favorably by liberals.

Still, it's not enough to simply point out that liberals wink at leftist groups that engage in violence. When the next nutjob kills someone -- and regrettably, there will always be a next time -- conservatives need examples to point towards when the MSM tries to once again convince the public that only right-wing wackos do that sort of thing. Here are a few worthy examples to throw back at them when they try it.

1) The Earth Liberation Front: Usually, when you point a finger of blame at domestic terrorist groups like ELF and ALF, liberals fall all over themselves to say that, "Nobody has proved that they've killed anyone yet." Well, as long as they're just engaged in arson and bombings, I guess they're just peachy!

John Lewis, the FBI's deputy assistant director for counterterrorism, said animal and environmental rights extremists have claimed credit for more than 1,200 criminal incidents since 1990. The FBI has 150 pending investigations associated with animal rights or eco-terrorist activities, and ATF officials say they have opened 58 investigations in the past six years related to violence attributed to the ELF and ALF.
...The ELF has been linked to fires set at sport utility vehicle dealerships and construction sites in various states, while the ALF has been blamed for arson and bombings against animal research labs and the pharmaceutical and cosmetics industry.

Well, certainly no one could support the actions of a group like this, right? Maybe you can ask the people at the Earth Liberation Prisoners Support Network about that.

2) James Chester Blanning: Do you remember James Chester Blanning? You probably don't because his bombs didn't go off. But, just to prove a point, I'm going to post an entire story about Blanning from the SFGate so that no one can claim I left anything out:

Gift-wrapped bombs rattle tony ski enclave
Aspen, Colo. — A onetime resident of this city who had been bitter over its transformation into a playground for the rich left four gift-wrapped bombs downtown in a bank-robbery attempt, turning New Year's Eve celebrations into a mass evacuation, police said Thursday.

The dangerous bombs were made of gasoline and cell phone parts and came with notes warning of "mass death." The 72-year-old man suspected of placing them in two banks and in an alleyway on Wednesday shot and killed himself a short time later, police said.

Now, here's a detail that would have been everywhere in the press had the politics been reversed. Here's Blanton's note:

Do not f*** with us or there will be mass death like we have all been part of over in that f***ing quicksand trap that rove and chaney's monkey bush put us into where so many of our soul mates and brothers died very horrible deaths.

Funny how they didn't think the Rove and "chaney's monkey bush" comments were worthy of publication, isn't it?

3) The Weathermen: There's no need to go into depth about the Weathermen because you heard it all during the 2008 presidential campaign. But here's what is worth noting about the Weathermen: They claimed to be involved with 25 bombings, they intended to kill members of the military, and in 2001 Bill Ayers said, "I don't regret setting bombs; I feel we didn't do enough."

What is the moral equivalent of allowing a man like Bill Ayers to teach college students and become such a big wheel in politics that he is able to befriend the President of the United States? There simply is no comparison on the right. It would be like Eric Rudolph being let out of a jail, given a teaching position at Liberty University, and running fundraisers for Mitt Romney. Conservative readers are undoubtedly grimacing in disgust at the very idea. Liberals haven't batted an eye at doing something just as morally abhorrent.

4) Carol Anne Burger: Burger wasn't just any old leftie -- she was a writer for the Huffington Post who stabbed her roommate 222 times with a screwdriver before she killed herself. Burger's last story for the HuffPO before she went down the memory hole? "Christian School Teacher Takes Female Students to Palin Rally." Yes, those Christians and Palin fans -- they're the ones you have to watch out for.

5) The Animal Liberation Front: If the world were a high school class, the crazies at ALF would be voted most likely to deliberately wipe out the human race with a bioweapon to make the world safe for snail darters:

In 1993 the Departments of Justice and Agriculture issued a report to Congress on the "effects of terrorism on enterprises which use animals," naming ALF as the most significant "radical fringe" animal rights group in the United States. The report stated that between 1979 and 1993, more than 300 incidents of break-ins, vandalism, arson and thefts had been committed in the name of animal rights nationwide. After some ALF members set a fire causing $3.5 million in damages at a veterinary lab in California in 1987, the FBI officially added ALF to its list of domestic terrorist organizations. According to the FBI, between 1995 and 2005 ALF committed some 700 criminal acts.

If some wacko goes to a Tea Party and shoots up a McDonald’s, every conservative in America is to blame, but we're not supposed to draw any conclusions about modern liberalism from left-wing domestic terrorist organizations? Give me a break.

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AP: Boston bombing suspects 'identified' as brothers from Russia, near Chechnya

Published time: April 19, 2013 10:53

AP sources identify the surviving Boston bomber as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19. The man is said to be from Russia’s south, not far from the Chechen Republic.

The man reportedly lived in Turkey before arriving legally in the US about a year ago.

The name is listed among the recipients of Cambridge scholarships in 2011.

The second suspect is said to be his brother.

An NBC report claims the two immigrated at least two years ago. One of the brothers is said to have a Massachusetts drivers’ license.

There is a page at the Russian social network VKontakte (In Contact) with the name Dzhokhar Tsarnaev living in Boston and studying at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School.

The page mentions a school in Makhachkala, the capital of the Republic of Dagestan, as a place Tsarnaev studied between 1999 and 2001. He has several Chechen-related interests stated in his profile.

The page has but a handful of posts, most of them jokes. The owner’s last visit of the page was from a mobile phone about the time the shooting in Boston started.

MORE INFO: http://on.rt.com/6u8xcy
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Web Results

One Boston bombing suspect dead, 1 at large — RT USA
http://rt.com/usa/boston-bombing-suspect-custody-101/
4 hours ago ... One suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing was shot dead in a firefight ... dropped a bag at his feet, according to his brother Chris Bauman.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One Boston bombing suspect dead, 1 at large

Published time: April 19, 2013 06:31
Edited time: April 19, 2013 10:52

One suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing was shot dead in a firefight with the police in the Watertown area, while another one remains on the loose, BPD confirmed.

The firefight, which involved explosives, ensued after an MIT police officer was shot and killed on Friday morning, and fellow officers followed the lead of an apparent carjacking.

The killed suspect was wounded during the gun exchange with the police and was apprehended, police said. He later succumbed to the injuries.

The suspect remaining at large is the FBI’s Suspect 2 in the Boston Marathon bombing, the so-called ‘white hat suspect’. Police called the man a terrorist, who is armed and dangerous.

A 20-block perimeter was established as the manhunt for the second suspect continues.

Unconfirmed reports citing police dispatch say the dead suspect had explosives strapped to his person and that the one on the run may have a similar device.

Officials from the Beth Israel Hospital, where the wounded suspect was taken, say the man had gunshot wound and other injuries, likely sustained in an explosion. They didn't ID the diseased person.

The police did not release the names of the suspects they confronted in Watertown.

NOTE: the newly released photos are detailed and very good quality.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: