FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kurtz tightens reign over Flint council

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

EMERGENCY MANAGER
CITY OF FLINT
GENESEE COUNTY MICHIGAN
ORDER No.2
CITY COUNCIL’S RESPONSIBILITIES AND
PARTIAL RESTORATION OF COMPENSATION
BY THE POWER AND AUTHORITY VESTED IN THE EMERGENCY MANAGER
(“EMERGENCY MANAGER) FOR THE CITY OF FLINT, MICHIGAN (“CITY’)
PURSUANT TO MICHIGAN’S PUBLIC ACT 436 OF 2012, LOCAL FINANCIAL
STABILITY AND CHOICE ACT, (“PA 436”); EDWARD L. KURTZ, THE EMERGENCY
MANAGER, ISSUES THE FOLLOWING ORDER:
Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager has broad powers in receivership to rectify the financial emergency and to assure the fiscal accountability of the City of Flint and its capacity to provide or cause to be provided necessary services essential to the public health, safety and welfare; and

Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager acts in place of local officials, specifically the Mayor and City Council, unless the Emergency Manager delegates specific authority; and
Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager may restore, in whole or in part, any of the salary, wages, other compensation, or benefits of the City Council during the pendency of the receivership, for such time and on such terms as the Emergency Manager considers appropriate, to the extent the Emergency Manager finds that the restoration of salary, wages, compensation, or benefits is consistent with the financial and operating plan.

Based on the above, the individual salaries of Flint City Council members are restored to $7,000.00 per year with no benefits Council shall convene in City Council Chambers one time per month as scheduled by the Emergency Manager for the purpose of listening to public comment, conducting public hearings and addressing other matters submitted by the Emergency Manager.

Flint City Council shall:
1. Meet once per month (4th Monday) in order to hear concerns from constituents. Council
members must be in attendance throughout the meeting.
2. Accept and respond to constituent calls and requests for information. Council members
shall submit actionable items to the Emergency Manager in writing
3. Schedule meetings as requested by the Emergency Manager to address issues that have a
significant impact on the City, such as the Comprehensive Master Plan, KWA, Charter
Revisions, and other issues that may arise.
4. Complete Level One of the Michigan Municipal League (MML) core courses for
municipal government and receive the MML Education Award within one year. The City
will pay for costs of the actual training, exclusive of travel, lodging and meals.
5. All communication with staff must be in writing and directed through the Emergency
Manager’s office.
6. Comply with any other request authorized by Public Act 436 from the Emergency
Manager on timely basis.

To be eligible for compensation, each Council member shall execute an acknowledgement of receipt of this order and agreement to abide by its terms.
This Order is effective March 28, 2013.
This Order may be amended, modified, repealed or terminated by any subsequent order issued by the Emergency Manager.
Edward L. Kurtz
Emergency Manager
City of Flint
xc: State of Michigan Department of Treasury
Mayor Dayne Walling
Flint City Council
Inez Brown, City Clerk
5:\P. Bade\2M2013\Orders\Order.No.2.Councjl.doc
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

And your point is?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Will all of the council agree to abide by Kurtz's order for a lousy $7,000 a year?

Will those with good jobs say forget it?

Why now when this is an election year?

How long does Kurtz plan on being here?

Does he think this action will curb the lawsuits?

What happened to Snyder's promise of transparency?

Most of council has already taken the core classes through the Municipal League.

Does this signal the start of a more draconian reign of terror from the state?
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:42 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Reign of terror from the State? You mean all the bullets flying around in Flint are a giant Republican conspiracy?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Would you sign away your independence and autonomy for $7,000 a year? I am sure I would not agree with the EFM on everything.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Good idea to require city council members to "Complete Level One of the Michigan Municipal League (MML) core courses for municipal government and receive the MML Education Award within one year."

City Attorney Peter Bade and Mayor Dayne Walling should be required to do so as well. They should all be required to read the city charter and ordinances sooner. No better reason than just watching the city council meetings on Channel 17 today.

None of them are familiar enough with the requirements of City Charter.
Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

As long as some of those running for office use paid bullies to intimidate seniors and others to apply for absentee ballots and hand over those ballots before filling them out we will have corruption in the city electoral process. There have been fights and intimidation at the polling sites until police had to be dispatched to stop the battles. Candidates have been observed paying for votes.

With all of the craziness, and sometimes corruption, in the council what sane individual wants to take on that mess.

It is being said that AC Dumas is being assisted by Donna Poplar in his bid for Third Ward Council. Poplar is supposedly angry that BB Nolden kept an important meeting at Berston and did not attend council during her bid to be on the Hurley Board. Nolden put the needs of his ward above the BS that goes on in the no-power council.

With the population decline and the projected decline, the city does not need 9 council. The charter only says an odd number, Perhaps we can make do with 5.

Although it doesn't show, many of the council have already attended classes with the MML. What Flint needs is a strong ethics policy and a body strong enough to enforce the policy. Classes won't make ethical decisions.
Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:47 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Politicians? Ethics?? In Flint??? Surely, you jest.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: