FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Yes it is an election year in Flint!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

2013EM006
Adopted 4/10/2013

RESOLUTION TO EMPLOY THE SERVICES OF
BRIAN BATES AS RECEPTIONIST

Pursuant to the authority granted the Emergency Manager by Public Act 436, Brian Bates
shall be employed by the City of Flint in the capacity of part-time Receptionist until such time as
the Emergency Manager determines that his employment shall cease. Mr. Bates shall carry out
duties as assigned and determined by the Emergency Manager.
Mr. Bates shall be compensated at an hourly rate of $10.00, paid in biweekly installments
consistent with established written policies and procedures of the City of Flint. Mr. Bates shall
not work in excess of forty (40) hours in any given two week payroll cycle. Mr. Bates shall not
be entitled to overtime, or any other fringe benefits of employment.
IT IS RESOLVED, that the Emergency Manager shall, on behalf of the City of Flint,
appoint Brian Bates under the terms and conditions stated above. Compensation shall be drawn
from appropriated funds to be identified by the Emergency Manager.
APPROVED FORM:
Pe er M. Bade, City Attorney
EM DISPOSITION:
Edward J. Kurtz, Emergency ivianager
S:\P. Bade\EM2013\Resolutions\04.08. I 3.BrianBatesApptResolution.doc
Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Brian Bates

Program Assistant - Community Foundation of Greater Flint

Grand Blanc, MI

Work Experience

Program Assistant

Community Foundation of Greater Flint

January 2008 to Present

The Community Foundation of Greater Flint was founded in 1989. The foundation currently holds just under 400 funds that cover a wide variety of fields. Several of these are advised by their own grant screening committees. I am the staff liaison for our four youth advisory committees. These four committees award around $80,000.00 in grants annually.

Accomplishments
• Increased membership in our four youth advisory committees by 50%
• Maintained and updated committee membership information
• Have led fund development initiatives that have increased the size of our four youth endowments by 10%
• Developed new recruitment materials which have proven to be effective
• Decreased fund costs and increased grant making budgets by relying on technology to remind committee members about upcoming meetings
• Have established relationships with key donors
• Served as our site's webmaster prior to and through a technology conversion in 2011
• Served as grants administrator during our technology conversion in 2011
• Drafted press releases highlighting the accomplishments of our youth advisory committees

Finance Assistant

Friends of Dayne Walling

August 2007 to March 2012

In 2007, Dayne Walling ran for Mayor of Flint losing narrowly to the incumbent, Donald Williamson. Upon Williamson's retirement in 2009, Walling ran again defeating Brenda Clack in the general election. Mr. Walling was reelected in 2011 defeating former city administrator Darryl Buchanan. I was in charge of the fundraising operation each time.
Accomplishments:
• Helped raise more than $950,000 between 2007 and 2012 from more than 600 individual donors
• Planned more than 60 fundraisers and events
• Maintained and developed relationships with key donors
• Filed required campaign finance reports with the Genesee County Clerk's office in a timely fashion
• Maintained a daily cash flow report for the campaign in 2009 and 2011
• Set up call time between the candidate and prospective donors
• Successfully transitioned the campaign to NGP software. NGP allows political campaigns to raise dollars more efficiently and allows for the development of mass e-blasts at a cheaper cost than Constant Contact

Finance Assistant

Friends of Dayne Walling

August 2009 to January 2011

Friends of Jim Ananich

49th House District

2009 to 2009

2009, Jim Ananich decided to run for State Representative in the 49th House District which would be open in 2010 due to term limits. Ananich easily won election receiving more than 70% of the vote in the primary election with a similar margin in the general election. I was in charge of the fundraising operation for the campaign.
Accomplishments:
• Raised more than $60,000 between August of 2009 and January of 2010 and an additional $50,000 between January 2010 and November 2010.
• Planned 15 fundraisers
• Maintained and developed relations with key donors and vendors
• Filed required campaign finance reports with the state of Michigan
• Set up call time between candidate and donor prospects

Education

Bachelor's in International Relations

James Madison College at Michigan State University

Additional Information

• Track record of raising money and planning events
• Proven ability to connect with existing donors and find new prospects
• Background of being able to plan and host a wide variety of events
• Proven ability to meet deadlines
• Wide network of professional and non-profit contacts

Save Resume

Forward Resume

Email Brian

Download Resume

Updated: August 28, 2012

Brian Bates's Resume

© 2013 Indeed
Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Brian Bates

Youth Program Assistant at Community Foundation of Greater Flint
Grand Blanc, Michigan (Greater Detroit Area) Nonprofit Organization Management

Brian Bates's Overview
Current Youth Program Assistant at Community Foundation of Greater Flint
Mayor's office at City of Flint
Connections
48 connections

Brian Bates' Experience

Youth Program Assistant

Community Foundation of Greater Flint

Currently holds this position

Mayor's office

City of Flint

April 2013 – Present (4 months)
Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 am 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

What does this hiring by the Emergency Manager have to do with it being an election year in Flint?
Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

He hired a political friend of Walling. Politics have been run out of City Hall. Certainly with all of his experience in political fundraising and grants he could have done better than a part time receptionist gig.

Did his role in the Community Foundation get diminished or is his City hall job to ensure the right people elected? The Emergency Managers are not above hiding their motives. Will he be helping with your campaign?
Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 am 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

I'm unsure of how a receptionist can ensure that the right people get elected. And no, Brian is not helping my campaign.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It won't be the first time a person in city hall worked in a capacity that was not in their title. Remember Steve Montle and the DOE grant and the water fund?
Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

If Bates is limited to no more than 40 hours in 2-week time period, how many hours can/does he spend working for Community Foundation of Greater Flint?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:31 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

My god! Imagine all of the evil work Mr. Bates could do from the mighty and powerful position of......afternoon receptionist! Can we trust so much power and authority with one person?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Imagine if I go there and Mr. afternoon receptionist is in the back doing "special assignments".

Receptionists used to do more work than answer the phone.

You have been one of Walling's biggest cheerleaders. Of course there is cronyism here. Trying to help Bates until he is needed for next years election.

Is the Community Foundation cutting back on youth programs?

Campaigning and election work in city hall were the subject of past Ombudsman complaints. Ramona Sain did a in-depth report on Charles Winfrey collecting money from employees, sometimes in the stairwells, for Stanley's Mayor's Ball and campaign related activities.

There were many times complaints were made about election work being done in City Hall and the culprits knew how to hide it well. I remember going to the City Attorney's office to review a lengthy file and City Attorney Karen Folks had boxes of campaign records stored in the room I was using.

So don't make out that this is some nefarious complaint. Bates has friends and these friends are obviously helping him out politically. Does anyone believe his skills are any greater than the clerical staff that have been laid off from City Hall. But then those clerical people would not have been laid off if they had any political juice!
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 am 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

So once you've done campaign work, you're automatically suspected to be doing campaign work on the side in all future places of employment?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Political payback. Greg Eason and Donna Poplar helped Walling and got good political jobs. I remember when the decision to hire them was criticized, A C Dumas and Quincy Murphy defended them Murphy said : "Congratulations Donna Poplar, you worked hard for Greg Eason and Dayne Walling campaign. You deserve it!"

The city has clerical staff laid off. Were any of them offered a chance? There is a provision for those who are underemployed. I have been in that office when there was no receptionist. So was this just helping a friend out?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:49 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: