FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint's failure to curb crime imacts our children
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dawn

My son told me he was scared to stay here. I am finding it harder and harder to justify staying somewhere that the randomness of murders are increasing, while opportunities for viable employment, quality options for children and beauty is decreasing. I see the pockets of wonderful that still exist here, but ugly is clouding my vision more and more. Maybe I am having a bad day...

Pharlon No, its the truth..The plan is working though,..more n more moving out but who can blame u or anyone?

Ulise No its just a reflection from a concerned community mother with a son who at even his age is aware. Out of the mouth of babes, out of the mouth of babes.

Sparkle r I hadthe VERY same thoughts myself just today. And this time with such conviction. It's getting hard to love my city

Luddy My 9 year watchs the news and told me dad the city is getting 20 million, will that make our city better then, I couldn't answer him.

Dawn Money alone will not do it. Flint used to have money and didn't utilize that time wisely to diversify its economic base. In short, we are here because of a lack of vision, accountability and a whole lot of stupid! Money can't cover that. LOL

Luddy I agree. .

Ulise Nedson Tell the Truth Ms. Dawn!

Chris A Lil money could help they restoring downtown and pushing all the bad away from the heart of the city I think if it was more opportunity it wouldn't be as it is now.

Haneefa You must be in. Flint. MI and my family needs to get the blank out of there
Kmow this I love ya All but I refuse to be like that roach on the Raid can you check in and never check out ,
Nope I aint coming d. Love ya all but Nope not me,
Tears in my eyes for the ones that die .

Meredith I left after I decided it wasn't safe to go home after work each night. While driving up Clio Rd after 11pm everyone, it was flashing lights & yellow tape along the route all to often. As a single woman, I decided that was my queue. I'm happy with my choice to relocate.

Terrence Eventually reality sets in for all of us. The bottom line is the most important factor when it comes to a home is safety. Without that, none of the rest of that stuff means anything. You have children to worry about. It's time to move on...You would never forgive yourself if something happens to one of them when you know you have the means to place them in a safer environment.

Timothy That's what's up. Flint is now Zombieland. Seriously, it is time to go. This city has a sickness.

Cj i feel u Dawn, i have a growing concern fpr the safety of my family as it relates to living here..but the sad truth is, where in the nation, much more yhe world, can we go?! its bad everywhere, maybe some places a little LESS bad, but these societal pr...See More

Terrence @CJ.. you have to be kidding right.. There are places 10/15 miles away from Flint where the crime is WAY less of a problem. You can literally throw a dart @ a map of the US and find places 5X-10X more safe than most major inner cities. It's time we started THINKING differently...
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I used excerpts from a recent facebook dialogue. However I hear this same dialogue played out several times daily.

Adam and other s are quoting reality Trac and the increase in Flint home values. However that designation is easily skewed.

Flint 48506 contains part of Genesee Township.

Flint 48532 is mostly Flint Township.

Flint 48507 is partly Mundy Township.

Remember the Journal story about the increase of minority populations in the out county areas and losses from Flint. Those that can afford to move have already or are planning on it. Families concerned about their parents and grandparents are trying to convince them to live with them and that often means leaving the state.

The way things are going only the poor who cannot afford to leave will be left. Maybe that is the real reason Flint Master Planning staff is meeting with Flint Housing to have more scattered sites. I am not sure how they can justify that when there are so many vacant and damaged apartments in Flint Housing.

This is a revisit of the conditions that Andrew Highsmith wrote about in his "Demolition means Progress" that will soon be a book. There must be some truth to the saying that one who does not know the history s doomed to repeat it.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Twenty years ago I spent 19 days in Australia and spent much of it in Sydney and the coastal regions.

The burning question I had for native Australians was why they treated Black business travelers and celebrities so well and yet they were committing genocide on their own native aborigines. The almost universal response was the aborigines that refused to assimilate and refused to live in the houses the governing culture built were social misfits unworthy of better treatment.

This is comparable to the treatment and genocide of Native Americans here. Children were removed from their families and taken to white run schools and indoctrinated in the European culture. Those on reservations were forced to live on the doctrine that the White Father in Washington knew what was best for them even as the White Fathers surrogates denied them much of the basic necessities for life.

That same paternalistic attitude prevails in Flint today. Granted corruption in our city government and the abandonment of the Mott foundation for community education has set in place the vehicle Snyder is using to justify the racist actions governing Flint. It is now our White father in Lansing and his cohorts who are the only ones who are qualified, in their estimation, to lead us .
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

There are areas of Flint much safer than others ie the College and Cultural neighborhood.Why ? People there look out for each other,many have state of the art tech ( cameras ) in home ,it has an active crime watch group,respnce time for FPD may be quicker because of proximity to the Police Station.Also perps arrested are followed through the courts.If judges let people off there are questions.
On that note,who let D. Gray ( 18 years ) lately arrested for multiple murders in Flint,out of jail after his 2010 involvment in a shooting ? Anyone?
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Cameras for crime prevention were purchased through grants and Consumers refused to allow them to be installed.

When Flint had Community school Directors, more poor students had a chance to stay out of crime. These individuals were dedicated and committed to making a difference in the lives of young people.

Ray Furlow was one of these individuals. He was also a music producer and in his travels he encountered "Street league Basketball" and "Midnight Basketball". He implemented a program in King School and it was wildly successful. There was also another program in a church on Hamilton. There were as many as 200 youth in the program and they had to study before they could play basketball. Better students sometimes helped weaker students. There were some surprising success stories.

There was no violence and rival gangs set aside their differences, at least for a while. Drop a gun and the gun had to go.

Then the school system made the schools unavailable and all community school directors were eliminated. The Urban league got funding for a short time and that source dried up.

During the master planning process the citizens repeatedly stated they wanted recreational and other resources for the youth.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

GCCAA, (now GCARD) and the now defunct OIC received federal funding to operate summer youth programs that provided employment. Now there appears to be only minimal funding for youth.

I know there were youth hired that were probably ineligible, but many deserving teens got a chance to earn money. A number of these teens went on to college or other gainful employment.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Crowfeeder schreef:
There are areas of Flint much safer than others ie the College and Cultural neighborhood.Why ? People there look out for each other,many have state of the art tech ( cameras ) in home ,it has an active crime watch group,respnce time for FPD may be quicker because of proximity to the Police Station.Also perps arrested are followed through the courts.If judges let people off there are questions.
On that note,who let D. Gray ( 18 years ) lately arrested for multiple murders in Flint,out of jail after his 2010 involvment in a shooting ? Anyone?

Deonte Gray was one of three juveniles arrested for a home invasion and seemingly tried as adults. The serious charges were only on Gray. It appears from the record that he was placed in various programs and he walked away. The prosecutor set the plea bargain but the judge had certain responsibilities in the sentencing violations. Eventually a bench warrant was issued.

I once remember a disillusioned Assistant prosecutor Pat Lazzio remark in court that she was tired of seeing the same juveniles in court, first as victims and then as perpetrators. Even when family members asked the judges for stiffer penalties to help curb behavior, the judges still gave light sentences.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Crowfeeder-yes the college/cultural area is safer, but they still have their share of B&E's , shot fired and other issues. There has been at least two murders off Franklin. The north end does not get the same protection and unlike some areas we don't have paid protection.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:52 am 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

One murder in a domestic case on Franklin, and one on Brookside (the well known case in which C Fred Robinson was killed by a lady of the night). In my 27 years in the neighborhood, these two and one more that involved an out-of-state vehicle exiting I-69 during an argument that led to a shooting in the vehicle as it entered the neighborhood are the three homicides that have occurred in the 27 years I've lived in College Cultural.

This hardly is "having their share", and yes, the area is safe. We have an excellent neighborhood watch program, and neighbors are constantly looking out for each other.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
Raymond Sist
F L I N T O I D

Try living in the "real Flint" sometime. The Flint with NO police response unless there's a body involved.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:38 pm 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Webs,do you know who was the judge that let Gray out ?
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:42 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

CLOSED FOJ W CASE REGISTER OF ACTIONS 08/22/13 PAGE 1
11-028229-FC JUDGE FARAH FILE 01/28/11 ADJ DT 10/24/11 CLOSE 12/14/11
GENESEE COUNTY COD SCAO:SEC B LINE 03

D 001 GRAY,DEONTE,ISSAC DOB: 04/02/95 SEX: M RACE: B
519 GRACE STREET CTN:251000430701 TCN:
FLINT, MI 48503 SID:
PIN:25FPD55138
ATY: RAYMOND,TRICIA ANNE, PROSECUTOR: LEYTON,DAVID S.,
P-64399 810-962-0920 APPOINTED P-35086
LOWER DISTRICT: 68TH CTY# 25 CASE# 10-1798-FY PRELIM: HELD 01/27/11
INCARCERATION DATE: 11/22/10 DISTRICT ARRAIGNMENT:

Bond History
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Num Amount Type Posted Date Status
--- ---------------- --------------------- ----------- -----------
1 $.00 Held Without Bond

Charges
Num Type Charge(Pacc) Asc/Trf Charge Description Offense Dt Dsp Evt
--- ---- ------------------- ------- ---------------------- ---------- --- ---
01 ORG 750.82 ASSAULT-WEAPON 11/22/10 PLG ARR
02 ORG 750.110A3 HOME INVASION 2ND DEGREE 11/22/10 PLG ARR
03 ORG 750.227B-A FELONY FIREARMS 11/22/10 PLG ARR

Actions, Judgments, Case Notes
Num Date Judge Chg/Pty Event Description/Comments
---- -------- ---------- ------- ---------------------------------------------
1 01/27/11 FARAH RETURN TO CIRCUIT COURT
SET NEXT DATE FOR: 02/07/11 1:30 PM
ARRAIGNMENT
(A/A: CITY OF FLINT)
(GVRC)

4 02/04/11 INFORMATION
PROSECUTOR'S DEMAND FOR MANDA-
TORY DISCLOSURE BY THE DEFENSE
FILED
5 WRITTEN DEMAND FOR TRANSCRIPT
FROM 68TH DISTRICT COURT BY
3/2/11 FILED
6 02/07/11 NEITHERCUT 00099 ARRAIGNMENT
ATTORNEY PRESENT: RAYMOND
PLED NOT GUILTY
INFORMATION READ. PLEA: NOT
GUILTY. THE COURT ENTERED NOT
GUILTY PLEAS AND SET A
MANDATORY SETTLEMENT
CONFERENCE DATE OF 3-7-11 AT
8:30 A.M. IN THE PROSECUTOR'S
OFFICE; A MOTION CUT-OFF DATE
OF 3-28-11; A FINAL PRE-TRIAL
DATE AND JURY TRIAL DATE
BEFORE JUDGE FARAH. DEFENDANT
REMANDED. (PROCEEDING WAS
DIGITALLY RECORDED)
7 02/08/11 FARAH NOTICE SENT FOR: 04/19/11 8:30 AM
FINAL PRE-TRIAL
CT. I-ASSAULT W/I TO MURDER.
CT. II-HOME INVASION-1ST DEG.
CT. III-FELONY FIREARM.
8 NOTICE SENT FOR: 04/20/11 8:30 AM
JURY TRIAL
CT. I-ASSAULT W/I TO MURDER.
CT. II-HOME INVASION-1ST DEG.
CT. III-FELONY FIREARM.
9 CODEFENDANT/CONSOLIDATION
ORDER FOR CONSOLIDATION
(11-28229-FC, 11-28230-FC &
11-28231-FC) FILED
10 03/14/11 *MOTION CUTOFF DATE EXTENDED
TO 4/11/11 AS EXAM TRANSCRIPT
HASN'T BEEN FILED.*
11 03/29/11 PRELIMINARY EXAM FILED
VOLUME I-III
12 03/31/11 PRELIMINARY EXAM OUT
TO ATTY RAYMOND-PONSETTO
13 04/11/11 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 05/02/11 3:00 PM
MOTION HEARING
QUASH/FURTHER DISCOVERY
BRIEF IN SUPPORT OF MOTION TO
QUASH FILED
MOTION FOR FURTHER DISCOVERY
DEMAND FILED
PROOF OF SERVICE FILED
MOTION TO QUASH & NOTICE OF
HEARING FILED
14 04/19/11 PRE-TRIAL HEARING
PROCEEDING DIGITALLY RECORDED
ADJOURNED
ATTY RAYMOND-PONSETTO & DEFT
APPEARED IN COURT FOR PRE
TRIAL. COURT ADJ'D PRE TRIAL.
DEFT REMANDED. BOND N.F.
15 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 05/02/11 3:00 PM
PRE-TRIAL HEARING
DEFT AT GVRC
16 REMOVE NEXT EVENT: 04/20/11 8:30 AM
JURY TRIAL
17 05/02/11 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 05/09/11 3:00 PM
MOTION HEARING
DEFT MTN TO QUASH ADJ FROM 5/2
/11 PER ATTYS
18 REMOVE NEXT EVENT: 05/02/11 3:00 PM
MOTION HEARING
ADJ TO 5/9/11
19 05/09/11 PRELIMINARY EXAM IN
20 00099 MOTION HEARING
REMAND TO DISTRICT COURT
ATTY RAYMOND-PONSETTO & DEFT
APPEARED IN COURT ON MOTION
TO QUASH. MOTION HEARD.
COURT DENIED MOTION IN PART -
COURT REMANDED CASE BACK TO
DISTRICT COURT RE:IDENTIFICA-
TION ISSUE.
21 05/20/11 COPY DEPARTMENTAL VOUCHER REQUEST
FILED
22 06/21/11 REMAND ORDER
ORDER OF ACQUITTAL/DISMISSAL
OR REMAND FILED
23 06/24/11 REMAND TO DISTRICT COURT
FILED
24 RETURN RECEIPT FROM 68TH
DISTRICT COURT RECEIVING
BINDOVER FILED
25 07/14/11 COPY DEPARTMENTAL VOUCHER REQUEST
FILED
26 10/12/11 ORDER REOPENING CASE
27 RETURN TO CIRCUIT COURT
SET NEXT DATE FOR: 10/24/11 1:31 PM
ARRAIGNMENT
A/A: CITY OF FLINT
PERRY
BINDOVER RECEIVED ON 10/19/11
29 10/21/11 INFORMATION
30 10/24/11 00099 ARRAIGNMENT
PLEAD GUILTY
I.R. DEFT PLED GUILTY. COURT
SET SENTENCE DATE. DEFT
REMANDED-BOND N.F. PLEA
AGREEMENT: DEFT ORIGINALLY
CHARGED IN DISTRICT COURT WITH
CT I:ASSAULT W/INTENT TO
MURDER, CT II: HOME INVASION
1ST DEGREE & CT III: FELONY
FIREARMS. PROSECUTOR AMENDED
CT I TO ASSAULT WITH A WEAPON
& AMENDED CT II TO HOME
INVASION 2ND DEGREE.
PROSECUTOR AGREED TO A BLENDED
SENTENCE. DEFT AGREED TO
PLEAD GUILTY TO CT I & CT II
AS AMENDED & CT III AS CHARGED
NO 7411 OR HYTA TO APPLY &
RESTITUTION TO BE DETERMINED.
31 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 12/13/11 1:15 PM
SENTENCING
***DEFT AT RDC***

35 12/12/11 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 12/14/11 2:00 PM
SENTENCING
ADJ'D FROM 12/13 DUE TO THE
COURT'S SCHEDULE. **DEFENDANT
AT RDC***
36 REMOVE NEXT EVENT: 12/13/11 1:15 PM
SENTENCING
37 12/14/11 00001 SENTENCING
DEFT IS COMMITTED TO THE MI
DEPT OF HUMAN SERVICES - ACT
150 BLENDED SENTENCE. DEFT TO
TRANSFERRED TO SHAWONO CENTER
FOR PROGRAMMING. DEFT TO PAY
$130 CRIME VICTIM FEE & $204
STATE MINIMUM COST FEE.
$130.00 CRIME VICTIM FEE 204.00 STATE MINIMUM COSTS
38 FINAL ORDER OR JUDGMENT FILED
ORDER OF DISPOSITION COMMITT-
MENT OR REFERRAL TO DEPT OF
HUMAN SERVICES FILED
39 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 06/05/12 1:00 PM
MISCELLANEOUS HEARING
REVIEW-ACT 150
***DEFT AT SHAWONO CENTER***
40 12/16/11 ORDER FOR FORFEITURE OF WEAPON
FILED

46 02/16/12 RETURNED OVERDUE PAYMENT
NOTICE. UNABLE TO UPDATE
ADDRESS.

49 06/05/12 MISCELLANEOUS HEARING
PRESENT: APA KAREN HANSON,
D.A. TRICIA RAYMOND PONSETTO,
DEFT AND MR WINKLER FROM DHS.
PARTIES BEFORE THE COURT FOR
REVIEW. DEFT TO REMAIN A
PUBLIC ACT 150.
COURT SET REVIEW DATE.

66 12/04/12 MISCELLANEOUS HEARING
DEFT APPEARED IN COURT FOR
CONTINUED REVIEW OF JUVENILE
BLENDED SENTENCE. DEFT TO
CONTINUE WITH PROGRAM - COURT
SET ANOTHER REVIEW DATE.
67 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 05/21/13 1:30 PM
MISCELLANEOUS HEARING
REVIEW/DEFT AT SHAWONO
68 RECORD & ORDER PROGRESS REVIEW
FILED

76 BENCH WARRANT ISSUED
77 05/16/13 Letter Sent - Overdue Payment
78 Stmt Nbr - 2 Text - 102
79 Tot Due on Stmt - $198.60
80 06/27/13 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 11/05/13 1:30 PM
MISCELLANEOUS HEARING
PROGRESS REVIEW (BENCH WARRANT
STATUS WILL CONTINUE AGAINST
DEFENDANT)
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There were evidence problems. I believe an officer was shot at but he was unable to identify. Remember the three were juveniles. I omitted some lines and you can see all of it at Genesee County Michigan 7th circuit. Just enter the name as shown.

The Prosecutor entered the plea bargain and it says there was a blended juvenile sentencing. Farah accepted the plea deal as presented by the prosecutor, which may have been APA Karen Hanson. Hers is the only name I see in the court documents. Gray was in a drug treatment facility and Farah did issue a bench warrant for him. However by that time his address was unknown.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:53 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Steve- You forgot the rapper shot on franklin near Court. I have a number of friend in that area and I hear about their B & E's and shots fired calls.

The college cultural area receives more police protection than the north end.

I have been to meetings where the College Cultural area types have lauded their surveillance systems and crime fighting tips. All they accomplished was to piss off a number of residents from the north end. To be honest we were annoyed with the areas arrogance.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:05 pm 
Raymond Sist
F L I N T O I D

I thought you knew that the people in the college area were "better" than the North Enders.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:44 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: