FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Shakedown at City hall?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The rumors about Lock leaving have been around for a while. Now they are specific and stating he is leaving October 4th. I have heard he may work for his wife.

The newest rumor is Captain T P Johnson, and LTs. Mahan and Patterson have been told they can retire or take a demotion.

Hope these are true!
Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Looks like Lock is leaving. Mahan can retire possibly in December, but that would mean a cut as he is a provisional Lt and will bump down t Sgt.. Everyone is waiting to see what will happen.
Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Will Flint return to the eight hour shifts?

News about Detroit Michigan Police End 12 Hour Shifts

bing.com/news

Detroit police chief nixing 12-hour shifts as homicide rate soars

Detroit Free Press · 9 days ago

Detroit police had been working 12-hour shifts for more than a year as the department sought to reduce overtime costs. The long shifts were tough on officers, Detroit police spokesman Sgt. Michael Woody said. “You’re…

Detroit police chief says he's listening to officers; eliminates 12-hour shifts

MLive.com · 8 days ago

Detroit police going back to 8-hour shifts

The Detroit News · 9 days ago

Detroit police chief nixing 12-hour shifts as homicide rate soars ...

www.freep.com/.../fbi-crime-stats-flint-detroit-homicide-violent-crime

Sep 17, 2013 · As new FBI crime statistics show Detroit with its highest homicide rate in nearly 20 years, Police Chief James Craig is unveiling shorter shifts for police ...

Detroit Police Chief James Craig Nixes 12-Hour Shifts - Officer.com

Officer.com8 days ago

As new FBI crime statistics show Detroit with its highest homicide rate in nearly 20 years, Police Chief James Craig is unveiling shorter shifts for police officers ...

Detroit police officers will return to 8-hour shifts | News - Home

WDIV 49 days ago

DETROIT - Detroit police officers will return to 8-hour shifts for the first time since
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The best article on this subject was the Detroit Free Press story on September 18, 2013. They referred both to Detroit and Flint as having the highest murder rates. As Flint's population declines, the murder rate per 100,000 population exceeds that of much larger violent cities. Detroit is second only to Flint.

Also, with the decreased number of offices, fewer officers are answering large number of calls. The stress of a high call volume and a 12 hour shift is only part of the reasons Detroit's new Police Chief James Craig is making sweeping changes in the Department in an effort to boost officer morale. While the 12 hour shifts were implemented to reduce overtime, Craig noted they are tough on the officers creating concerns over fatigue, safety and the need to provide adequate service.

Kevin Orr has made fighting crime a priority and the Police Department is receiving new equipment. In addition to 50 new squad cars, the officers are getting replacement bullet proof vests and new electric stun guns and on body video cameras.

Will Governor Snyder and Early act on their promise to make public safety in Flint a priority?

Craig is restructuring the Detroit Police Department to ensure more officers on the streets. The Mayor's executive protection unit has been reduced as has the number assigned to council and even Craig's office. While there will be three shifts of eight hurs, there will e an overlapping ten hour shift that officers can volunteer for.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

While Detroit saw a decline in violent crime from 2011, their homicide rate increased to the highest level since 1993 when it peaked. On the other hand Flint had both the highest homicide rate in the US and the highest overall violent crime rate in the county.

FBI statistics show violent crime is making a small increase in violent crime. The homicide rate is still 12.8% lower than 2008 while still rising 0.4% over last year. Violent crimes increased 0.7% in 2012, Property crimes nationwide decreased 0.9% and according to the FBI that is the 10th straight ear of declines for property crimes. (this does not include arsons)
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Are administrators weak in their decisions about the police Dept.?

Captain TP Johnson is now over the Patrol Bureau and Paterson is now over the Detectives. Could be because of recent revelations about Johnson allegedly having a sexual harassment complaint made by a secretary against him? I hear he was questioned on the matter yesterday and the issue was discussed on a radio program. Unfortunately, Paterson is said to have no experience within the Detective Bureau.

Lock is claiming he is not going anywhere.

1) He has the Attorney Tom Past lawsuit on behalf of the white officers claiming discrimination in the promotion process under Lock.

2) He is named in the sexual discrimination and harassment lawsuit filed by two females in the Fire Department as he was joint Police/Fire Chief. Allegations he allowed an ineligible female to test and become his secretary. He refused to investigate allegations from the females and refused to allow either the FBI or the State Police to investigate. Some question his relationship with his secretary.

3) There is another lawsuit filed against the Flint Fire Department by a Native American Plaintiff.

How can the Flint administration condone these serious allegations or are they fearful a dismissal means Lock is guilty. Could be that Lock knows the location of the closet where they hide the skeletons.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Public Safety Director, Police Chief Alvern Lock resigns
Posted: Sep 27, 2013 4:11 PM EDT Updated: Sep 27, 2013 4:45 PM EDT

By Angela Brown - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(09/27/13) - Flint's Public Safety Director and Police Chief Alvern Lock is stepping down.

Late Friday afternoon, Lock submitted his letter of resignation.

He has served as police chief for five years and was an officer in the department for more than 20.

This is just the latest leadership shakeup for Flint. Earlier this month, Emergency Manager Mike Brown announced he was also resigning.

ABC12's Angela Brown is speaking with Lock right now. You will hear from him on ABC12 News at 6.

To read the full resignation letter from Lock, click HERE.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

September 27, 2013
To: Michael K. Brown, Emergency Manager
From: Alvern Lock, Public Safety Director, Chief of Police
Subject: Letter of Resignation

I am submitting my resignation as Public Safety Director and Police Chief of the City of Flint. The effective date of this resignation is to be determined.

I have served as Police Chief since temporary Mayor Michael Brown made my
appointment in 2009. At that time the department was dealing with the aftermath of the Federal investigations into the actions of the former Chief and his father, Super Chief. There were lawsuits for improper promotions; lawsuits for reverse discrimination actions in promotions. Drastic personnel reductions were being ordered due to millions of dollars in city-wide deficit spending. The crime rate increased, leaving Flint as number one on the FBI most dangerous cities for three years in a row.

The City of Flint was placed in receivership in December of 2011 and Emergency
Manager Michael Brown was appointed. Mr. Brown asked me to expand my
responsibilities to oversee Police, Fire and 9-1-1 as Director of Public Safety. I accepted this challenge and established several goals to improve public safety in the City of Flint.

The Flint Police Department was reduced in force by 40%. Goal One was to best utilize the available force, with the finding provided, making the best use of the tools at our disposal.

New union contracts were developed for Police (FPOA, Sergeants, and Captains and
Lieutenants) and Fire. As part of the new FPOA contract 12 hour shifts were
implemented to increase personnel utilization. We have also implemented several
alternative call response procedures to reduce the call volume for our officers. CopLogic is one of those systems where a citizen can self report a crime for which there is no longer an immediate danger and no identifiable suspect.

Michigan State Police have greatly increased directed patrols within the City. They have also assigned twelve detectives to the FPD Investigative Bureau to work in cooperation with our depleted detective force.

Another of the tools available to the FPD was upgraded technology. Major revisions have been implemented to secure and utilize our New World records management system. The 800 MHz communications system has been filly implemented. The 9-1-1 Center is using the same technology platform as the Genesee County 9-1 -1 Consortium. The in-car computer systems (Net Motion) have been made operational and installation will be completed in November of 2013. New World upgrades have enhanced the FPD activity for collection and preservation of evidence which can result in more effective prosecutions.

Funding has been the biggest obstacle to stabilizing the public safety departments. Two things occurred in 2012 which have been significant in this area: the city voters accepted
a 6 mill property tax for Police and Fire Operations; the EM signed a resolution to ensure that 55.5% of the General Fund would be devoted to Public Safety. While that is still an overall funding concern these steps were very important. Through these changes FPD was able to maintain 11 grant funded positions, we were able to hire eight certified/or certifiable new officers and ten recruits are now in the Police Academy.

Goal Two was to reopen the City Lock-up. Through a grant from the Michigan
Department of Corrections the Lock-up was reopened in October of 2012. Both fresh
arrests and warrant arrests can be housed in the lock-up for 72 hours. This service was made available to all Genesee County Policing agencies, including UofM-Flint and MCC, beginning in January 2013. In just the month of August 2013 1080 individuals were lodged in the lock-up and over 1000 warrants were cleared.
Goal Three was to seek all additional sources of revenue to improve the tools available and keep our public service agencies up to date. During my tenure as Public Safety Director/Chief of Police we have been awarded almost $23 million in grant funds. These awards have come from Federal, State and foundation sources. These funds have enabled officers and firefighters to stay on the job; have upgraded our communications systems to increase the safety of our officers and fircfighters; have allowed the purchase of basic tools of the job: weapons, vests, vehicles, uniforms, computer systems and even heat and A/C units. This is an on-going activity and is pursued diligently.

Goal Four was to improve the safety of all residents, visitors and those doing business in the City. Even with all of the obstacles of poverty, unemployment and low educational attainment which face our population we have been able to use the resources available to us and we have seen significant improvement in the Part I violent crimes which have been reported during this year to date compared to one year ago. The average decrease of violent crime is 27%. This includes a 27% decrease in murders, 44% decrease in arsons and a 37% decrease in auto theft. Also, response times have improved for Priority One 9-1-1 calls by an average of 22.5% in a year to year comparison. The homicide solve rate stands at 66% for this calendar year.

I am proud of the work the members of the Flint Police, Fire and 9-1-1 Departments have done these past five years and I am proud to have led these departments through these very difficult times for our citizens and for our employees.

Director of Public Safety/ Chief of Police
Alvern Lock
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One of my well-connected friend says that the State police may take over the administration of the Flint Police until the Emergency Manager leaves. Most, if not all, of the Flint supervisors will be re-assigned and probably to road patrol.

Watch for a high profile sexual discrimination case coming out of Flint PD
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Watch for private funding, possibly through the Mott Foundation, for officers to patrol the area around the MTA. Seems downtown is worried about their plans for the new Farmer's Market.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Lock resigns as police chief in nation's most violent city, tenure in Flint marked by successes, controversy

Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on September 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM, updated September 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint Public Safety Director and Chief of Police Alvern Lock submitted his resignation Friday, Sept. 27, to emergency manager Mike Brown a month before Brown's departure and after 4 1/2 years leading police and fire departments in the nation's most violent city.

Lock said nothing in particular sparked his decision to resign.

"Nothing really led to it other than the fact that I think it's time and I've been thinking about it for a long time," Lock said.

Lock said choosing a new police chief will be up to Flint's emergency manager.

Darnell Earley, the Saginaw city manager who will replace Brown as Flint's emergency manager, said he was continuing to gather the facts on Lock's resignation. He said his plan is to keep working to make both the city and the Flint Police Department better. Earley said change is part of any organization.
The date of Lock's departure is still to be determined.
Lock’s tenure as Flint police chief was punctuated with controversy and some successes, according to Flint Journal files.

City homicides hit all-time highs. In 2012, there were a record 67 homicides in Flint, and in a three-year span from 2010-2013, the homicide totals reached 189.

But, as Lock pointed out in his resignation letter, violent crime so far this year is down from the same point in 2012. Homicides, he said, are down 27 percent so far in 2013.

Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell said although Lock faced massive police layoffs and cuts in officer pay, he was still able to accomplish some positive things in the city -- including working with the Michigan State Police to combat violent crime and to reopen the Flint City Lockup. He said thanks to those efforts, a turnaround in crime is in the works for Flint.

"I think we're starting to see the small beginnings of some positive signs," Pickell said. "You have to give Al Lock credit for that."

City Council President Scott Kincaid said he wasn't surprised by the news of Lock's resignation. He doesn't believe the current public safety plan put in place by Lock and Brown has been working, and hopes Earley will hire someone from within the police department to fill the position .

"I'm hoping Darnell Earley will go through the process and hire a highly qualified police chief and public safety director for the city," Kincaid said.
Flint resident Ron Best said Lock's resignation "definitely doesn't help" the city's crime problem.
"If he gives up ... I don't know," said Best, 54. "I know I'm not giving up. I've lived here my whole life."

Warren Walker, 21 of Flint, said he didn't know much about the police chief, but was well aware of crime in Flint.

"It'll probably be shocking to the city of Flint," Walker said. "But it's his decision, you can't be mad for what he does."

In December 2012, Lock was the subject of a lawsuit against the city, accused of passing over nine white Flint police officers for provisional promotions because of race, and of threatening to “beat up” an officer.

Flint Police Officers Association President and Flint police Officer Kevin Smith said although 85 percent of the police union voted no confidence in Lock, the union wishes him the best on his next endeavor.

Smith said he believes Lock was given the tough task to lower the city's crime rates without the addition of more officers. He said he isn't surprised by Lock's resignation, and believes any police chief would have had a struggle under those circumstances.
"I think it's been tough for him." Smith said. "It's been a struggle and with everything going on, enough is enough for him. I'm not surprised, to say the least."
"He's a good guy who performed well under very difficult circumstances," said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton.

Lock was also police chief when Elias Abuelazam – Flint’s serial slasher – killed five people and injured nine others during the summer of 2010. Abuelazam was apprehended and convicted later that summer.

Lock’s tenure saw a partial solution to the lack of funding for police and fire services, as voters passed the Public Safety Millage in Nov. 2012.

The five-year, 6-mill tax increase is expected to raise $5.3 million in the first year for police and fire services.

In addition, the city reopened its lockup so city, county and state law enforcement had a place to quickly jail the criminal suspects they arrest.

Lock was named Flint’s police chief on Feb. 18, 2009, becoming the Flint’s fourth police chief in one year’s time.

Before being named chief, Lock spent 23 years as a Flint police officer. He retired in 2006. In his role as an officer, he worked in multiple capacities ranging from homicide investigation to the drug unit.

Lock was originally appointed chief by then-acting Mayor Michael Brown to serve a six-month term, but his appointment was extended under Mayor Dayne Walling.

When Lock's appointment won the unanimous approval of Flint City Council, he became the city’s first permanent police chief since 2004.

"Chief Lock has been one of the hardest-working leaders in Flint throughout his tenure," Mayor Dayne Walling said in a written statement he issued Friday. "Chief Lock was tireless in his efforts to protect our community and enforce our laws despite extraordinary challenges. His legacy of professional service and personal sacrifice stands as an inspiration."

Latrelle Holmes, pastor of Greater Galilee Baptist Church in Flint, called Lock's resignation "unfortunate." Holmes is part of a group of concerned citizens and clergy members requesting funding from the governor to support crime intervention programs in Flint.

"Chief Lock is a faithful public servant, it was unfortunate in his span that he did not have all the resources that he needs and the city needs," Holmes said. "The resources were not there for him."

Reporters Jeremy Allen and Chris Aldridge contributed to this story.

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Faceboo
Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

No body understand the relationship between Duane Miller, VP of the Regional Chamber of Commerce and Mike Brown and whether he influences political decisions. The same thing goes for the relationship between Governor Snyder nd his nongovernmental key adviser Richard Baird. Baird s paid by the Governor's secret nonprofit-the same one that pays the expenses for the Emergency manager of Detroit, Kevyn Orr.

The Democratic Party released a deposition of Richard Baird from a lawsuit filed by union activist Robert Davis. This deposition indicates that Baird was setting up interviews for about 20 people to be considered as an Emergency manager for Detroit. This was before the State did an in-depth look at Detroit's finances. In his deposition Baird said the state had to be prepared. The interviews took place as the repeal of the Emergency manager Act was ongoing and continued while the new one was being drafted. Dillon announced a second look into Detroit finances on December 6, 2012 and the interviews were taking place for 2 months prior .

Orr met with Baird and Dillon in January and he became part of the Detroit review team and a potential candidate for EM. It was Baird who wrote an e-mail to the entity charged with hiring an EM, the Emergency loan board, on March 7. The ELB and Snyder announced Orr on March 14th.

I bring this up for several reasons:

1) What influence did Duane miller, a non-governmental employee have on the affairs of the city;

2) Earley stated he was approached a month before his appointment. Does that mean the state was looking for a replacement before the announcement by Brown?;

3) When was the decision made about Chief Lock. He was telling staff he wasn't leaving on the same day he wrote his letter of resignation. Was this decision made at the state level and just dropped on Lock?.

*Detroit Free Press Metro 3A, September 18, 2013, Kathleen Gray
State Official Vetted EM Candidates lat year
Deposition: Baird began talking with prospects in October and November
Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:09 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: