FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: The Flint Historic District Commission voted 4-3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Messy Wife

quote:
Tegan schreef:
Wow. I'm a little confused. Lots of name-dropping and BS. Maybe that is the whole point. People on the outside are made to believe that people on the inside are evil or just puppets of someone else, and no one is being truthful, and while everyone is arguing about who said what and who is working for who, nothing is getting done at all.

For a moment, reading all the arguing, I felt like... why even bother? But especially in the city of Flint, if people continue to stop fighting for even tiny battles because of the bull, then we'll arrive at a very scary place.

Maybe that is what makes people so disturbed about the demolition in the first place. It's not the houses themselves, (they are relatively unimportant) but that something doesn't seem quite right in the decision making process.

I shouldn't be made to feel that if I use my real name on here and speak my mind, that the mayor or anyone else in office will come after me, same as I shouldn't be made to feel that if I agree with the mayor on any issue that other people will come after me. Because if that did happen, or I did feel that way, I'd just move out of the city or the county. At this point in my life, education, and career, I really feel that I don't need Flint as much as Flint needs me. I think that this is how a lot of the graduating college and high school kids feel, and if effort isn't made, we'll just leave...

And we won't be buying our cars here either.

Sorry. That was a rant. I figured, everyone else was doing it, why not join in.

I agree with you Tegan... How true. Do you live in flint?
Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:40 pm 
Tegan

Right now, not in Flint, but Flushing. My family lived and worked in Flint for at least six generations, and if it wasn't for Buick City shutting down and for jobs being a little funny because of the buyouts and the Delphi thing, my mom still would. Instead, she makes her money in Lansing and spends it here. My grandparents had a pizzeria on Clio Road until they moved out to Mt. Morris. I thought Flint was fine until I went away to school and saw how other cities with half the history of Flint are doing. It's frightening
Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:01 pm 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:09 pm 
Tegan

In all clarity, I didn't mean to sound as though I was being threatened or harassed, or that I felt anyone was grossly out of line on this messageboard. I simply meant that a person's job or position shouldn't be in jeapardy solely if they agree or disagree with the mayor. In retrospect, ts of my post sounded a little melodramatic.
Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:02 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
All I know about the Manning Court Demolitions is what I read in the paper. I'm pursuing my masters in Historic Preservation at EMU, and I've interned with Kalamazoo's Historic Preservation Coordinator, as well as sat in on Kalamazoo's Historic District Commission meetings. I am a resident of Genesee County and my parents both work in Flint.

I'm not a member of the Flint Historic District Commission, although I would like to be.

That said, here is what I think, for whatever it is worth.

The Flint Institute of Music's main concern is for parents to be able to see their children when they drop them off, correct? So why do they need an entire parking lot? Wouldn't a large turnaround near the building solve that problem?

After going to school in Kalamazoo and seeing the success of their city, I view Flint almost as an historical wasteland. How many buildings were torn down for Waterstreet Pavilion? What about the IMA? I was too young at the time to understand the particulars of those decisions, but even at the age of 10, I was still angry.

And the Flint Institute of Music lost their OWN historic building to fire in the 1970s, and that also was a Dort Building, built by Walter Manning, for whom Manning Court was named. Don't you think saving the Manning Court homes would be a nice way to honor the past FIM building and builder that was lost?

And what of other historic homes lost? Charles Mott's home on Kearsley Street was demolished for UM-Flint. The Oren Stone House/YWCA and First and Harrison was a beautiful building that was also torn down for a parking lot in the 1970s. Not to mention our own Carnegie Library that was demolished, but at least the pillars were saved.

People look at the photos of historic buildings demolished in the 1960s-1980s for parking lots and failed modern businesses and think, "Wow, how could they have been so blind?"

It is sad that in 2006, in the age of tax credits and cool cities and "Save America's Treasures" that I would be asking the same thing about Flint.

Tegan, great post and I couldn't agree with you more. I would encourage to you to get involved, attend our meetings. See how things go, listen in, learn policy and procedure. We need passionate people to become involved and help move this City forward.

We have lost so much in this City, we need to preserve all we have left. Feel free to contact me anytime, I have a open door policy, I have nothing to hide.

Ryan
Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bill

So whats the latest on this issue Ryan? Can you give us people on Flint talk a update?
Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:20 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
lunchlady schreef:
Unfortunately money talks. An historic district commission and a cultural organization approving demolition of beautiful historical houses is WRONG. I feel like we have already lost enough of our physical history here. We are being cheated. Tearing these houses down for an ugly parking lot is unforgivable.

You are so right Lunchlady! Its sad but true, its all about who gives the most money!

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: