FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Looking For Anyone Court Ordered To Synanon

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
shadow205

I am looking for anyone who was sent to Synanon which was a drug/alcohol treatment center in California. This facility was used by the MI court system back in the 1970's. I am currently looking for someone who was sent there by the judicial system in Flint, MI in 1972. Her name is Rose Cole. Rose was only 15 years old when she was sent there and never returned. I am sure that Rose was not the only person sent there by the judicial sysytem in Flint,MI. Do you know of anyone that was sent to Synanon? Please help us find out what happened to Rose.
Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:50 pm 
shadow205

Please ask around and see if you can find anyone who as a juvenile, in the early 1970's, was ordered by the ourt to attend a drug/alcohol treatment facility in California.
Rose Cole was only 15 years old when she was sent there by the juvenile court system in Flint, MI. She was never seen again. Rose has been missing now for almost 34 years.
Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:19 pm 
garyw2902

I RAN THE INTAKE/NEWCOMER PROGRAM IN SYNANON FOR SOME TIME DURING THE 70'S BUT ROSE'S NAME DOES NOT RING A BELL. I DO REMEMBER A FEW COURT ORDERED RESIDENTS FROM MICHIGAN, A RELATIVE OF THEN CONGRESSMAN DIGGS BEING ONE, BUT BY IN LARGE, SYNANON DID NOT ACCEPT TOO MANY COURT ORDERED RESIDENTS BECAUSE PEOPLE HAD TO BE THERE AND HAD TO WANT TO BE THERE. iF SHE WAS IN HER TEENS WHEN SHE CAME IN, THEN SHE WAS PART OF LARGE GROUP OF TEENAGERS THAT ENTERED THE PROGRAM IN THE MID 70'S.....SAY FROM 74 UNTIL 77.
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:09 am 
shadow205

GaryW2902,

Thank you for the reply. Rose was sent to Synanon in the summer of 1972. She was last heard from in early 1973. In letters written to her step-mother, she mentioned a friend who was about her age named Ruth. She said that they were the youngest there. Rose said that she worked in the kitchen.
I would love to talk to you more about Synanon. I also have pictures of Rose if I could only figure out how to post them here.[/img]
Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:09 am 
shadow205

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:13 am 
Sandy G

I entered into Synanon (Santa Monica facility) in Dec. 1969. I was allowed to enter Synanon as a condition of my probation from the Los Angeles court system. I was 20 years old. I do not recall anyone by the name of Rose, who was 15 or 16 yrs. old from Michigan. It is possible, but unlikely, that she would have been sent to a Synanon facility in either Tomales Bay, Ca. or San Diego, Ca. (which existed in early 1970). It is possible that she was sent to the Synanon facility in Oakland, Ca. I moved to the Oakland Synanon facility in October of 1970, and do not recall anyone fitting her description. I do recall that on rare occassion during this timeframe, there were minors allowed to enter into Synanon for treatment. However, in 1970, it would have been very unusual for her to be allowed residency, and she would have been one of the only minor females (if not THE only minor female) allowed residency for treatment. There were no programs within Synanon at that time specifically for teenagers with drug/alcohol problems. Is it possible that she was sent to some other drug treatment program, and not Synanon? I recall that there were two or three other programs in existance at that time.
Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:37 pm 
mp

Dear Shadow 205;

The picture does seem a bit familiar.

May be you could narrow your stated focus a bit more so others could assist you. I first saw a description of your quest copied to another site, which was asking about ANYONE sent by the courts to Synanon, as if you were conducting a study. Is this the case? Or are you hoping to locate this one person Rose Cole from Flint, MI?

If it is the latter, I would suggest you post as many of the pictures and as much text of the letters she sent home as you can gain permission to do.

Also the time frames as you more recently mentioned. These factors will make a huge difference in jogging memories.

There were several facilities at Synanon where she might have been. She may have moved from one to another during her stay. knowing where and when from her court records and letters will help reconstruct who she would have had dealings with.

As another post mentioned, it was not the norm for Synanon to take new residents, even adults, from the court. Not only was there the main factor of the person's volition but the deep distrust of the government as well. I believe that when this occasionally happened it was often due to that new person being connected to someome who was an established resident at Synanon, who then became their sponsor as it were. Not always, though. But for a minor, especially a female who looks like a lost member of the Partridge Family, to not have specified sponsors both inside and outside of Synanon?

So please post all you've got, I believe somebody will know something.
Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:06 pm 
shadow205

Thanks to those who replied with information on Synanon. Rose was sent to Synanon sometime prior to November 1972 by the Genessee County courts in Flint, MI. She was only 15 years old when she arrived theer. She turned 16 on December 23rd 1972. From what everyone is telling me it was unusual for a female so young to be there. I would think that this would make her stand out in someones memory. We do have letters written on Synanon stationary. She was at the facility in Oakland but did mention visiting the facility in Tamoles Bay once. She did not like it there. The only person that she really spoke of was a girl who seemed to be about the same age named Ruth. Rose said that she worked in the kitchen/dining room.
We are running into brick walls everywhere that we turn. The court records have all been destroyed because of the amount of time that has past. We do not know why a missing person report was never done on Rose. Her parents are dead now and her brother is trying to find out what happened to his sister.
Her letters can be read at this link

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yannette0469@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=fb4a&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yannette0469@sbcglobal.net/my_photos
Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:18 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I've been reading the threads about Rose on Websleuths and looking at the
links you've posted with pictures and letters. Have you given any thought to
researching Synanon records for information that might be helpful, such as
Rose's social security number, physical description, case numbers, etc.?

See the sidebar on this link for detailed archive information:

Synanon Foundation Records, ca. 1956-1987
http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf9k4009h9
Repository:
University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections.

Other information for those interested in Synanon:

Recent Acquisitions, Winter 2002, SSA Library, University of Chicago
Janzen, Rod A.
The rise and fall of Synanon : a California utopia.
Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.
HV5800 .J36 2001
This recent acquisitions list is now available on the SSA Library web page.
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/ssa

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-bibliography.html
Many references to Synanon and Dederich.

If you want to make inquiry about Emerson Junior High and Northern High
School, you could contact the Flint School District, 923 E. Kearsley St., Flint,
MI 48503; general information (810) 760-1000; or online at
http://www.flintschools.org for other contact information.
I doubt they'll be of any help but it won't hurt to try.

Probate Court juvenile records are not available to the public.

Re the Probate Court deceased estate you were interested in, Ronald J.
Brewer, the attorney who handled the estate, passed away on Feb. 2, 2002.
His office was in Clio, and perhaps someone there would know the
disposition of his closed files and be able to help you. 108 N. Mill St., Clio,
MI 48420; phone (810) 686-0270. The two addresses shown for Borich on
the probate estate record had to have been alternate addresses, i.e.,
summer/winter, or something similar.
Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:40 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Sorry can't help, way before my time!

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The more I think about it, the more I think you should ask the assistance of
your closest Social Security Administration office. Let them know her parents
are deceased, and her brother is looking for his heirs. They'll need to know
parents' full names; Rose's full name, birth date and place of birth. Write Rose
a detailed letter, requesting she write or call you collect, and prepare it for
mailing (unsealed in case the SSA wants to check it). Take it with you to the
Social Security Administration with the other identity validating information you
have. If they can find her in their database they should forward your letter to
her at the last known address, and you just wait for a response. If she's been
in the database and is no longer living they should be able to tell you where to
look for the death record.

All my best wishes to you in your search. Please let us know if you find her.
Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:45 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
parents' full names; Rose's full name, birth date and place of birth. Write Rose
Social Security Administration with the other identity validating information you
in the database and is no longer living they should be able to tell you where to

I agree, that is the best place to start looking!!

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
shadow205

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

I talked to Rose's sister(adopted) last night. She said that they have contacted Social Security as far as trying to get information on whether or not Rose ever got a SSN # (she did not have one prior to leaving for Synanon) and they would not release any information. I told her what you said about the letter and she said that they will try it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestion!
Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:07 pm 

I just wrote to the person who cares for Rose's myspace page. I was sent to Synanon by the courts in Virginia and my parents who were friends with people who had lived there for many years in the 60's and 70's. I was there long after Rose so I doubt that I would be of any help on that front. But I do share her perspective as a person who was sent there very young, was not allowed to write or even communicate with my family, was completely undone by my experiences with "The Game", which was a very traumatic experience for me, I had some good times at Synanon, but the bad ones far outweighed the good and eventually I ran away. If there is anything I can tell you about my experience there that would help, I would be glad to give you what little insight I may have. I am truely sorry about Rose, it is a very sad story, and she and I had so much in common. Although I never had a problem with Drugs or Alcohol, I was a troubled kid who could have very easily become a statistic. Anyway. I just wanted to tell you that I am an ex-Synanon kid sent there by the courts. Let me know if there is anything I can tell you about my limited experience that you think will help.

Sincerely,
Mikki
Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:04 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: