FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Durant Hotel seen as possible dorm

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

University of Michigan-Flint students could end up as the primary tenants in a renovated Durant Hotel.

UM-Flint Chancellor Juan Mestas and Daniel T. Kildee, chairman of the Genesee County Land Bank Authority, have agreed to meet to talk about the historic Durant, which the Land Bank has an option to buy.

Kildee said he believes the character and craftsmanship of the 75-year-old building could be an easier sell to students than a cookie-cutter dormitory.

"I hope so. If it fits and we are able to engage the student market ... the project would be a 'go,' " Kildee said.

Mestas said Friday that he's willing to listen and offer advice.

"The university will not be buying the land," the chancellor said. "My entire role would be to say, 'Yes, it is good for student housing.'''

Earlier this week, Mestas said student housing must be built on private property - not on the UM-Flint campus as long thought.

Although he did not pinpoint a specific site, he said cost was a chief reason UM-Flint wants a private developer to build and operate student housing.

The chancellor said the private property would have to be close to the center of the city, as close as possible to Saginaw Street -two requirements that the Durant meets.

"It needs to be within walking distance -about two city blocks," said Mestas, who said he has never been inside the Durant, which closed in 1973.
Student Cory Gaiser said creating new housing from a historic building would appeal to students who don't currently have enough good housing choices.

"I think that's a great idea," said Gaiser, a 23-year-old junior from Flint. "I do think there's demand, (and) from a historical perspective (the city) needs to use what they have."

Built in 1920 and named in honor of General Motors founder William C. Durant, the hotel was once Flint's largest and most majestic.

But the Durant has been vacant for 32 years -an empty shell that has been at the center of several failed redevelopment schemes.

The latest plan emerged this week when Kildee, speaking to UM-Flint students for the kickoff of the American Democracy Project, said the Durant could be a great source of housing, though he wasn't specific on details.

On Thursday, he confirmed he and Mestas have agreed to meet about the property and said the Land Bank has purchased an option to buy the hotel for $160,000. A company that originally had the option to buy -Public Interest Properties -could end up keeping an interest in the building if it is renovated.

If renovation proves unrealistic, Kildee has suggested the building could be torn down.

Full Story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-31/1127564413269220.xml&coll=5
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Any updates on this?

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:57 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree with ya 110%

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: